General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A few questions:)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A few questions:)

This is on a 1986 Maxima...

I am having a little problem here..
I think the power steering may be screwed... or there is a leak somewhere... I have to fill up the power steering a lot... and a lot of times you can hear the steering whine while you turn the tires... now would that be the cause of a bad power steering pump? or possible a just a leak?

how much does a Power Steering Pump cost?

The second problem is jsut a little minor problem with the sunroof.. When it is closing it will stop about 3 inches or so from closing, and wont go any furhter unless you release the button, and then start again.. it always happens in exactly the same spot...

The third thing, is on the dash, towards the passenger side, tehre is all the warning lights... The alternator warning light has burned out.. now I am wondering if there is a guide or anything to replacing it.. I didn't see it in the Haynes manual...

Thanks guys
Old 04-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: A few questions:)

Originally posted by Convergys

I am having a little problem here..
I think the power steering may be screwed... or there is a leak somewhere... I have to fill up the power steering a lot... and a lot of times you can hear the steering whine while you turn the tires... now would that be the cause of a bad power steering pump? or possible a just a leak?

how much does a Power Steering Pump cost?
You definitely have a leak, and probably need a new pump. With the level constantly being low the seals must not be getting the proper lubrication and hardening. That is what is causing the sound. So fix the leak first, then replace the pump. I have no idea how much a pump would be, I am guessing around $150 to $300.

Originally posted by Convergys
The third thing, is on the dash, towards the passenger side, tehre is all the warning lights... The alternator warning light has burned out.. now I am wondering if there is a guide or anything to replacing it.. I didn't see it in the Haynes manual...
You should be able to replace the lights behind the gauge for this. See if there is anything about removing the gauge cluster. Behind it there should be little lights and just replace those. Probably have to hit the Nissan dealer for those lights, they are a specialty item.

You might want to post this in the 1st-3rd gen forum. They should be able to help you better.