General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

starting problem... is it tranny related?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 12:15 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

starting problem... is it tranny related?? HELP

hey guys, i need ure expert opinion on this...

I got out of class and was going to go to work... then my car gave me some problems. Well, i tried starting it and it would turn over but not actually start. I tried about 5-6 times when it actually did work. The weird thing about it is when i would stop trying to start it, i'd hear this clunk sound. This isn't the first time it has happened either... about a month ago i got something similar to this but it started the next try. When I got home right now, I tried starting it and it didn't have a problem... i guess ill try in a while.

Now the key here is I've had differential bearing problems. It's the standard whine in gears, leaking, blah blah blah... except i've pushed the f-ed tranny for over 10k miles lol.

It has been making a couple new interesting sounds... i think it's about to die. I just want to know if the starter problem could be connected to the tranny... or is it my starter?? I thought I wasn't pushing the clutch in all the way or something but I was. Any thoughts?? ANYTHING would be useful, thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: starting problem... is it tranny related?? HELP

Originally posted by nadir_s
i tried starting it and it would turn over but not actually start. I tried about 5-6 times when it actually did work.
Check your crank sensors both REF and POS.
Check your cam shaft position sensor.

The weird thing about it is when i would stop trying to start it, i'd hear this clunk sound.
The clunk might be starter related, but as long as your starter in engauging and cranking your engine, leave it be.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: starting problem... is it tranny related?? HELP

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Check your crank sensors both REF and POS.
Check your cam shaft position sensor.

The clunk might be starter related, but as long as your starter in engauging and cranking your engine, leave it be.
thanks for the info, ill search around and check out if they're the problem.

1 more thing, can anyone tell me how the transmission and starter are connected? The only thing that comes to my mind is the sensor that says the clutch is in... but how about mechanical-wise? Could my tranny internals be so f-ed up that it could cause a problem? thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 09:51 PM
† ErV †

i dont think they are connected. the starter turns the engine. the engine is connected to the starter only when you crank it anyway. perhaps your neutral gear (or something) is sticking a bit and preventing the engine from turning over properly.