General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ever Plug your Z-Rated Tire after a Nail Puncture?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Never plug. Always patch.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Administrator

0w3nd by Zum Zum Zum
Old 05-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Custom User Title...

i'm new to knowing anything about tires...can you explain how patching works? i've gotten plugs on my old tires but not on my new wheels which i need to do, there are 3 screws in them are they too soft for plugs? someone mentioned something like that once.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59 PM

when you plug the tire, dont you also put a patch on the backside too? so just leave out the plug or what
Old 05-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Nismo
when you plug the tire, dont you also put a patch on the backside too? so just leave out the plug or what
yup confusing me too

if I do patch/plug a tire I wont use it on the track anymore... just on the street yea?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:29 PM

Plugging a tire is an easy way to fix a hole when you're in the middle of nowhere... They sell $10 kits that contain a hook, rubber strips and some rubber glue. You stick the plug/strip with the hook while covered with glue in 1/2 way into the tire, pull it back out.. it plugs the hole.

It's better to patch the tire, which is taking it off the rim and filling the hole in and sanding the excess rubber of from inside the tire/etc. Plugging weakens the tire and really should only be used as a temp solution.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:15 PM

Never plug! By plugging, you're putting stress on the tire. On top of that, most plugs can't get a airtight seal. The tire flexes a lot while rotating and the plug will eventually work its way out.

Patching is much better. A patch applied properly is just as good as not having a hole at all. The person patching the tire should inspect the inside of the tire and sand down the area of the puncture. They should then use air to blow any rubber from the sanding away. A special heat activated glue is applied to the area and the patch is put on. They then use a roller on the patch to make sure all the air is out and there is 100% contact. The patch will flex with the tire and be just as strong as the original rubber if not stronger. Patches can't be used on the sidewall or near the sidewall. Never plug! It's really painful watching someone plug your tire too!! They stab it and stab it.. then they stab it some more!

ZuM

Old 05-12-2003, 07:31 PM

toyota teaches me to first ream out the hole then pull that plug rubber material through it then sand/grind the rubber down from the inside, apply the rubber compound along with a patch. does that sound right?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:53 PM

I don't see a reason to use the rubber plug at all. Why would you do that? Adding more rubber also means throwing off the balance of your tire more.

toyota teaches me to first ream out the hole then pull that plug rubber material through it then sand/grind the rubber down from the inside, apply the rubber compound along with a patch. does that sound right?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
I don't see a reason to use the rubber plug at all. Why would you do that? Adding more rubber also means throwing off the balance of your tire more.

protecting the vunerable patch from rocks sand ect that can seep into the tires crack/hole and damage the patch?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:35 PM
STFU n00b!

I've patched probably a dozen Z rated tires and NEVER had a plug come out, throw the balance off, or leak. not saying it doesn't/won't happen, but so far, I've never had a bad experience with them. I don't even bother taking the car to a tire shop when I get a flat anymore, because even the GOOD shops around here just stick a plug in it and charge you $10. even if I request a patch, they don't mess with it and send me out the door with the plug.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Former Sponsor

sounds right the correct way eheheh
Old 05-13-2003, 11:35 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

yes
Old 05-14-2003, 10:24 AM

You'd need a pretty big hole and some pretty bad luck to get something in the exact hole the patch is covering. =P But really, once you pull the nail out, the rubber closes up. Plugs usually aren't flush with the surface of the tire. If anything, I'd think the plug would push the patch off. I dono!

protecting the vunerable patch from rocks sand ect that can seep into the tires crack/hole and damage the patch?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:39 AM

I wouldn't trust a plug. All the "good" tire shops should patch. It takes more effort but I really think its the only way to go. You have to see the work that goes in to a patch. I really consider plugging a temp fix or a shortcut. I guess if it works for you keep doing it. I would never let someone plug my tires though. Had it done once and I went to another shop, had them pull out the plug and patch it.

ZuM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I've patched probably a dozen Z rated tires and NEVER had a plug come out, throw the balance off, or leak. not saying it doesn't/won't happen, but so far, I've never had a bad experience with them. I don't even bother taking the car to a tire shop when I get a flat anymore, because even the GOOD shops around here just stick a plug in it and charge you $10. even if I request a patch, they don't mess with it and send me out the door with the plug.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 PM

explain your method of patching and also your method of you were to plug. I was taught to use both a plug material and also a patch.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:19 PM

I've never patched myself, always brought to a place to have it done. What they usually do is.

Unmount the tire. Sand down the area of the puncture. They apply some type of glue and blow dry the glue so it dries and becomes sticky. Then they apply a self adhesive patch and heat the patch with the blower. They then use a roller and rub down the patch to make sure all the air is out. Wait a few minutes to set and remount tire.

I had my tire plugged once. I asked if they repair tires and I was stupid enough to think everyone patched. He took my wheel off and started stabbing it with a sharp object. He stabbed at it while mounted on the rim with air in it for about 5 minutes!!! =( Then he applied glue to this "plug" that looked like a Slim Jim. He then shoved the plug in there and turned a few more times and put more glue on the area. It was terrible!! Maybe this isn't how you would do it, but this guy was terrible! So there I was. It looked like my tire got a bloody nose and had a tissue stuck up its nose. This plug is just hanging there. Very unslightly! I drove to my regular tire place and had them remove the plug and patch the tire.

The way I see it, plugging puts unneeded stress on the puncture wound.

ZuM

explain your method of patching and also your method of you were to plug. I was taught to use both a plug material and also a patch.