General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dealers Never Cease To Amaze

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:48 PM

Dealers Never Cease To Amaze

Saw a local ad for a '99 Max SE limited, fully loaded w/36K miles at an Acura dealer. Even though I have a 2k3 SE, I do miss my '99 and I called the dealer. They said it was in great condition but were aking $18K for it. Told them no way on the price but if they would consider something more in-line with its real value, I would come in. They said they would and I went to look at it.
Got there, met the sales person I talked to and we went over to look at the car. Asked him if it was local trade or auction and he said auction but they look for only the best cars. Upon inspection the car, it was obvious it had sustained damaged in the front and rear and was repainted and had the transmission cooler replaced; the front hood didn't line up and orange peel was evident. The sales person said let's take it for a ride. While not thrilled at this point, I did. Upon starting it up, the check engine light came on and stayed on. The car pulled badly to the right and wobbled/vibrated through the steering wheel and seat.
When we got back, the sales person asked me how much I would give them for it but since they had a lot of money in it, I needed to make a good offer. I just smiled, thanked him for his time and left.
This was supposedly a high end Acura dealer. Gotta wonder how these folks ever made it out of prison.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Re: Dealers Never Cease To Amaze

Originally posted by nick778
Saw a local ad for a '99 Max SE limited, fully loaded w/36K miles at an Acura dealer. Even though I have a 2k3 SE, I do miss my '99 and I called the dealer. They said it was in great condition but were aking $18K for it. Told them no way on the price but if they would consider something more in-line with its real value, I would come in. They said they would and I went to look at it.
Got there, met the sales person I talked to and we went over to look at the car. Asked him if it was local trade or auction and he said auction but they look for only the best cars. Upon inspection the car, it was obvious it had sustained damaged in the front and rear and was repainted and had the transmission cooler replaced; the front hood didn't line up and orange peel was evident. The sales person said let's take it for a ride. While not thrilled at this point, I did. Upon starting it up, the check engine light came on and stayed on. The car pulled badly to the right and wobbled/vibrated through the steering wheel and seat.
When we got back, the sales person asked me how much I would give them for it but since they had a lot of money in it, I needed to make a good offer. I just smiled, thanked him for his time and left.
This was supposedly a high end Acura dealer. Gotta wonder how these folks ever made it out of prison.
haha, good ol' dealers.
i plan on purchasing a wrx so i went to the dealership to look at some rex's. upon walking in a salesman compliments me on my max and takes a look at it, etc... so i tell him that i cant afford an 04' wrx and i would need to only look at 02' but he says there are none on his lot, except wagons. so he spent about 45min trying to convince me to get an 04' which is stupid cuz i am only 18 and cant afford one. so he says "would you want to trade in that maxima" i said, " i was going to sell it privately, but may trade it in for a good price, and good deal on an 02' wrx. so tells me, ill give you 4k for the maxima, and even put in new floor mats in an 04' wrx, i said sure buddy, ill be back tomorrow, and that was a week ago, hahaha.

i know dealer trade in is low, but my max blue books for almost 10k without the mods.

sorry to ***** your thread but i thought i would share a similar dealer experience.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Re: Re: Dealers Never Cease To Amaze

Originally posted by DTR Maxima

. so tells me, ill give you 4k for the maxima, and even put in new floor mats in an 04' wrx, i said sure buddy, ill be back tomorrow, and that was a week ago, hahaha.

i know dealer trade in is low, but my max blue books for almost 10k without the mods..
i would have taken that as an insult and told him so, had i been in your shoes.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:45 PM

4K??! wrx is a great car, the 02's are like gems now a days, i love those bug eyes
Old 07-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

if you think dealers are bad, u should look at auctions

i went with a friend to look for a maxima at an auction. Found a 95 SE 5 speed with 145,000 miles, cloth seats, and only power doors and windows. NO power seats, the trunk button wasnt even on the door, it was totally different looking inside than i ever seen any other maxima, plus the passenger and back doors were badly rusted, the glove compartment couldnt close cuase of broken hatch, same with arm rest, visor mirrors were cracked, car started OK but they were asking 5,500 for this car and i'm looking at them like i can get a maxima in good shape for that price, an auction, which i consider worst than private party tries to sell a POS for such a price, it will be there for a good minute...