General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Would you let a buyer know your car had been modified?
Yes.
27.27%
No.
3.03%
Yes, only if they asked.
60.61%
No, even if they asked.
9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Ethical question: selling a modded Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 AM
is invisible

Ethical question: selling a modded Max

Would you disclose to a prospective buyer that your car had been modified (assuming your car was returned to stock form)?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:16 AM

yeah, if they asked. if they asked what was done, i would tell them i lowered it and put rims on it, and had an aftermarket stereo. :dunno:
Old 07-29-2003, 09:26 AM

same.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:32 AM

oh, and on another point...I traded in my other maxima with the CEL on, dash panels apart (from removing stereo), o2 sensor stripped/crossthreaded into the bpipe, no front license plate frame, no emblems on the rear of the car, left my aftermarket alarm on but only gave them one of the clifford keyfobs, and zero of the original nissan keyfobs...what else
Old 07-29-2003, 10:03 AM

last car was modified (headers, intake, exhaust, tint) and i found a buyer who was interested purely because it was modified. but another potential buyer was turned off by the mods... so it depends on the buyer i think. if its a young guy, he's probably interested in mods. if its a middle aged mom, probably would be turned away by mods. so I'd definatly play it by ear
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The guys around my neighborhood know my car is modded and would be first in line to buy it when the time comes for me to sell it.

I've already had offers.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
(snip)
would you still sell it to them if you knew they were planning on dumping it four inches on coilovers?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
is invisible

If you were the buyer, what would you expect/want (role reversal)?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I wouldn't say a word, because I'd never be able to sell it. However, I usually sell my cars with a small piece of the warranty left, so if anything was awry, they could get it fixed.

Most likely, I'll return it to stock and trade it to a dealer.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

The way to you take care of the car is more important than if the car had mods and returned to stock. Ie..njmaxseltd's car. I'd take his car over 90% of other people's car just because I know he takes incredible care of his car. So what if the car is stock or had no mods? If the owner never changed the oil/plugs/brake pads/waxed the paint, it's gonna be in much WORSE shape than someone with a few na mods but maintained it like a ****.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think I can return my car back to stock...
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think it would be funny to try and return my car to stock and pawn it off as a stock car, might be a project for next summer.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The way to you take care of the car is more important than if the car had mods and returned to stock. Ie..njmaxseltd's car. I'd take his car over 90% of other people's car just because I know he takes incredible care of his car. So what if the car is stock or had no mods? If the owner never changed the oil/plugs/brake pads/waxed the paint, it's gonna be in much WORSE shape than someone with a few na mods but maintained it like a ****.
Would you take the same chance if you didn't know the seller?

Even if someone religiously maintains their car, if it's being beaten daily I won't touch it. I'll stick with the car who followed the scheduled maintenance.
The fact that someone modifies their car ususally means they are an enthusiast. What are enthusiasts more likely to do than the 40yr housewife who drives to grocery store and back: "enjoy" the ride. I don't think many moms or dads are going to the track or posting roadkills.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:58 PM

I'll tell you my modded car sell story:

I had an Eclipse before my Max and it was heavily modded, $10K stereo, Painted stripe down the middle...
When I came in it to look at my Maxima they offered to take it as is and offered substantially more than it was worth...

It sold after 2 days.

Rusty.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well, either way, one should have the car inspected thoughly before buying it. If it's abused, it will show on the compression/leakdown tests. If it's in good condition, it's in good condition.

I would rather have an enthusiasts car that was maintained to the T and taken though it's paces every once in awhile vs a bone stocker that's only had it's oil changed every other 10,000 miles. Now if it was some idiot ricer that obviously tried to put back his POS back to stock that's another thing. Because he probably ruined the suspension by bottoming out everywhere and spent all his $ on altezzas vs synthetic oil/proper tune up parts.

My point is it all depends. Hard to just chose one way or another.

Originally posted by CoolMax

Would you take the same chance if you didn't know the seller?

Even if someone religiously maintains their car, if it's being beaten daily I won't touch it. I'll stick with the car who followed the scheduled maintenance.
The fact that someone modifies their car ususally means they are an enthusiast. What are enthusiasts more likely to do than the 40yr housewife who drives to grocery store and back: "enjoy" the ride. I don't think many moms or dads are going to the track or posting roadkills.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:28 PM
† ErV †

Tell if asked...

I would only buy 100% stock. Anything else i would run away like mad. This car has been modded and returned to stock and it was nothing but problems. All the money i would have spent on mods i spent on repairing the damage FROM mods.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well you have mods right? That means your car is a POS?? I know MY car is better taken car of than 90% of all the other 3-gens I see. I also know my engine runs better than most other 3-gens. Plus most if not all na mods don't really stress the engine any significant amount anyway. So it's back to how the car was cared for. Unless you are saying my car and everyone else's car(with mods) is now a POS for having a y pipe and an intake.

Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
Tell if asked...

I would only buy 100% stock. Anything else i would run away like mad. This car has been modded and returned to stock and it was nothing but problems. All the money i would have spent on mods i spent on repairing the damage FROM mods.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:35 PM
is invisible

Well, either way, one should have the car inspected thoughly before buying it. If it's abused, it will show on the compression/leakdown tests. If it's in good condition, it's in good condition.

I would rather have an enthusiasts car that was maintained to the T and taken though it's paces every once in awhile vs a bone stocker that's only had it's oil changed every other 10,000 miles. Now if it was some idiot ricer that obviously tried to put back his POS back to stock that's another thing. Because he probably ruined the suspension by bottoming out everywhere and spent all his $ on altezzas vs synthetic oil/proper tune up parts.

Agreed.

<--Since when do you get your own smiley?!?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:35 PM

I am actually considering selling my car as is... but being totally up front that the car has never been a maintenance problem and functionally it is sound as the day I drove out of the dealer...if not better...

there are defintive changes that requires a driver who is willing to change the car to learn and have a marked increase in the amount of maintenance in the car ...

so I cant say that everyone who has modded their Max, beats on it without regard...IMHO, someone willing to work to the end and take care of a ride they are proud of should be more trusted then less...

just my two cents though...were I to return the car to stock, it would not be without a complete maintenance workover and show all results and correctiv eaction needed to be addressed before the sale.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 PM
is invisible

It has been suggested numerous times that mods decrease the value of a car and that one should "de-mod" the car and sell the parts separately.
So why is this?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

&lt;--Since when do you get your own smiley?!?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:09 PM
living out of a maxima...

It has been suggested numerous times that mods decrease the value of a car and that one should &quot;de-mod&quot; the car and sell the parts separately.
So why is this?
Most people are not looking for a modded car. Most people want to buy a car and go get their groceries and whatnot, so to them, a modded car has probably been abused. Even if they're confident the car is in good condition, they will not pay anything more than what a stock maxima would demand, thus you would get nothing in return for the mods you put in.

If you put it back to stock, you get the same price, plus whatever you can sell the mods for.

Now if you're selling it to someone who cares about the mods, they may be willing to pay a premium for them.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally posted by Slickismax
I don't think I can return my car back to stock...
Man
I like your taillights!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think generally speaking, modded cars and car enthusiasts beat their cars more than regular people who leave their cars stock. But at the same time, enthusiasts do take car of their cars more religously than the common person. I can just imagine any car enthusiast (whether it be Maxima, Integras, etc) looking for the best maintenance parts for their cars.

But if there were two sellers, both who have done similar maintenance, but one car has never been modded, then I would definately choose the unmodded one.

I could've gotten a good deal on a 240sx which was very local (240s are extremely rare). It was a 97 with Apexi coilovers and lots of other mods, and in addition to the fact that I couldn't mod the car myself (I like starting from stock) I'm betting that it had to be abused in one way or another.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 PM

those tail lights are awesome, looks like a very costly job
Old 07-30-2003, 06:53 AM
is invisible

Jeff: I think your smiley is very fitting.

JeffersonM: Thanks, that makes sense.

Turdz: I agree. I don't think religious maintenance can make-up or "repair" damage from being abused.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:54 AM

I agree. I'd rather have a car owned by an enthusiast that reads 100 threads about what type of oil to put in than someone who doesn't even know they should change the oil. Most enthusiast are really particular with their cars (but not all). I'd have any car checked with a mechanic thought. To answer your question, I'd tell if they asked, then I'd show them either reciepts of maintenence or my log book which shows how **** I was about maintenance & repairs. That should help you get the $$ you're looking for.