General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

where to get the YELLOW TOP deep cycle battery cheap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:38 AM

where to get the YELLOW TOP deep cycle battery cheap??

search is down on both sites, so can't search.
anyone have some insight?

thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ebay Time
Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 PM

yellow top

you should be able to get one from a speed shop for about 155.00.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Ramius83

Also, which exact battery do WE have to get in the yellow top series.

I also talked with a battery guy the other day. He said that the blue-tops are GREAT, especially for battery relocated kits. Is this true?

Old 07-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: where to get the YELLOW TOP deep cycle battery cheap??

Originally posted by itsgt
search is down on both sites, so can't search.
anyone have some insight?

thanks!
V- Pick it up from my shop. $155
Old 07-30-2003, 09:39 PM

I love you, your shop, and your car.
nice SI
Old 07-31-2003, 08:30 AM

You can try www.optimabatterystore.com. They have the Yellow-Top for $145... I picked mine up at local Pep Boys for $159...

Had I known Ange was selling it, I would've picked it up from her shop... I suggest you pick it up from her (I hate waiting for stuff to come in the mail.. lol.. ).
Old 07-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Administrator

autozone or advanceauto parts
Old 07-31-2003, 09:39 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Thats the One i got, if you have extera money buy it for 155.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3032129896
Old 07-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Pointy Elbows

what's the difference between the red and yellow? I assume that you guys recommend the yellow?

J.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM

Re: Re: where to get the YELLOW TOP deep cycle battery cheap??

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

hey ange,
wheres your shop?? it doesnt state on the website
you have one located close to nassau/queens in ny?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:16 AM

costco has them
Old 07-31-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
costco has them
i aint a member of costco!!!
lol
Old 07-31-2003, 12:04 PM

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/ check out that site for the specs of the batteries.

i got my blue top from costco ~$150 or maybe a little bit less i forgot. i believe blue and yellow top ratings/specs are identical except that the blue top has 2 extra top studs on them.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Pointy Elbows

What about the red?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:03 PM

Costco has blue and red top last time i checked.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: where to get the YELLOW TOP deep cycle battery cheap??

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

i wish i knew this a month ago
Old 08-01-2003, 07:30 AM

RED VS YELLOW

Optima Yellow Problem I had:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=135828

How will you use this battery?
The only reason I would get a deep cycle battery(yellow) would be if I was going to be doing deep-cycles. Do you plan to use the battery without an alternator and drain it dry mostly? If you are competing in audio comps with out the car on (draining the battery frequently and completely), then by all means get a deep cycle. Another application for deep cycles is on race cars, correct? Also if you leave your car sitting long periods of time without starting it, such when having a car alarm draining your battery. I am not an expert, but these are the conclusions I have came too. I am sure there are tons of yellow tops being used with alternators and having no problems at all.

If you are not doing deep cycles, save money and get a red. Also red is slightly lighter! :P Compare the differences on the 2 batteries and make your decision.

Red has better CCA(cold cranking amps) and MCA than the yellow. This is better for starting overall I think.

The advantage of the yellow is that you can "deep cycle" or run it empty many more times than red. Yellow can do ~350 deep cycles, while red can do 50. Red has a BCI of 104 mintues while yellow has 120 minutes. (I think this means Yellow lasts 16 more mins than a red will in a deep cycle).

I just thought I would share my info I had found, again I am by no means an expert.

I do know MANY people with yellow tops that do not have problems what so ever. This is just my understanding of what red and yellow was designed for.

I have a UDP, a huge amp, and a car alarm. Red works awesome for me!

EDIT: SOME LINKS ADDED
http://www.optimabatteries.com/
From there web page FAQ:
17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:29 PM

Just picked one up in AutoZone and will be returning it on monday, Ange i will be seeing you. Yes ebay has them They are about 130-160

save the sales tax, and shipping, get it from ange. that means i have 20 dollars more in my pocket for gas when i am hitting up Atl.

BTW 159.99 + 8.625% tax = 179.94 in nyc..lol so deffinately returning it ....

Besides, i just installed one cause my battery died, but all i can say is that the power is there. even butt dyno, i feel as though the yellow tope added more power and more responsive throttle response.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
Just picked one up in AutoZone and will be returning it on monday, Ange i will be seeing you. Yes ebay has them They are about 130-160

save the sales tax, and shipping, get it from ange. that means i have 20 dollars more in my pocket for gas when i am hitting up Atl.

Besides, i just installed one cause my battery died, but all i can say is that the power is there. even butt dyno, i feel as though the yellow tope added more power and more responsive throttle response.
the reason i went with 2 red tops is that the yellow top is good for 2 yrs and the red top is good for 5 yrs. check out the warranty.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Yellowtop is one heavy biatch..

If you really want to save money.. try the Redtop, that will serve its purpose more than enough. If you want the battery by Monday, pls lemme kno by 2pm Saturday.

AnGe
Old 09-13-2003, 12:52 AM

so should i just get the red top instead???? i thought that the yellow top was the best one, but al this deep cycle is all alittle vague?

What sould i do??? i do plan on running 800 watss rms and street glow neons, or will the red top de the better option for the price?? will it handle my future mods??
Old 09-13-2003, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
you should be able to get one from a speed shop for about 155.00.
Why would anyone spend 155.00 for a battery? Again, why Optima, when Exide Select Orbital outperforms Optima in every way, shape, and form? Very strange that anybody would shop for a battery based on colors.

Optima doesn't even come in the right size for the Maxima. I laugh about it now, but I was rather disappointed at the time that the forum recommended the wrong size battery for my 98 SE. That was really surprising. Just get the right size which is 24F.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Why would anyone spend 155.00 for a battery? Again, why Optima, when Exide Select Orbital outperforms Optima in every way, shape, and form? Very strange that anybody would shop for a battery based on colors.

Optima doesn't even come in the right size for the Maxima. I laugh about it now, but I was rather disappointed at the time that the forum recommended the wrong size battery for my 98 SE. That was really surprising. Just get the right size which is 24F.
optima is a universal battery. when i sell an optima battery to a maxima owner i get them a lower spacer for free. my front red top is going on three yrs. and the 1 in the rear is almost 1 yr old, so far no problems.

yellow top optima is used when the battery doesn't see charge for a period of time (deep cyc).

seeing that the alternator in your car is almost always on you really don't need the yellow top.
but i always say you buy what you want not what i want you to have.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:10 AM

but what if i want what you have

anyways, well i think i am gonna stick with the optima, might go with the red top. Freddy you have alot of electronics in your max, and your batt is still strong. that means something,

I think that my electrical needs are growing and very quickly.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:27 AM

but what if i want what you have

anyways, well i think i am gonna stick with the optima, might go with the red top. Freddy you have alot of electronics in your max, and your batt is still strong. that means something,

I think that my electrical needs are growing and very quickly.

If it's electricity you need, like I said, Exide Select blows the Optima away functionally, same deal, mount it upside-down if you like. Probably nobody ever said it to us, but maybe our grandparents--remember the saying if everyone were jumping off the Crooklyns Bridge would you do it?

imho $155.00 is a lot for a battery which does nothing more than provide juice. Also, I like to have the proper size as well. If my inseam is 36" I don't try to fit into a pair of 30's just because they didn't have my size. My $70 battery works great, no worries mate!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cheapest Optima Batteries

This place has the cheapest Optima Batteries i've seen...

Click Here

Even after shipping cost, my red top Optima was $10 cheaper than any local retailer had them for.

Highly recommend them