General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Front Suspension related issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 07:26 PM

Front Suspension related issues...Revisited

Hey,

I have this clunk/knock for like 8 months now in the front under the the car mainly on the passanger side and I can't figure it out!! It's driving me crazy! I have new struts, new end links for the sway bar, newer strut bearings, and I think I went over all the bolts under there. I can feel EVERYTHING on the road through my steering wheel. However, the car absorbs larger bumps fine. It's the smaller bumps/cracks that bring out the noise and the harshness. I know that some of the harshness is due to the stiffer GR2 struts/shocks, but It shouldn't be THAT bad. I've been told that bad strut mount isolators cause the harshness. I'm looking for other suggestions before I throw out another $70 for new strut isolators. On the other hand, I just installed an RSB. The car feels more neutral now. It's weird because the front feels like it has less traction now. I can get the rear to kick out in slow sharp corners now How can I adjust the ADDCO RSB?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Front Suspension related issues...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2KxSEx
[B]Hey,

How can I adjust the ADDCO RSB?

position the C-clamps on the rear beam closer to the center of the vehicle.

RE : your noise could be coused by many things - only trial and error will help you find the cause - be patient!!!

Nick.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:52 AM

check upper strut mounts i think im having the same prob
Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If your springs are not seated correctly in the upper spring perch, one or more of your coils might be hitting each other. Even if there isolated, you'll hear and feel the clunk.

Check the upper mount first, open the hood and look at the center nuts. Use a 17mm socket and make sure there tight and they don't move around. Try to wiggle them back and forth with something, they should be firm. Remember the upper mount is a rubber bushing so the movement you may get should just be from the rubber giving slightly. If the mount is shot, you'll be able to move the nut on top of the piston around quite a bit.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:38 AM

Brake pads that aren't seated properly can make the clunk noise too.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:49 PM

I can actually feel the knocking with my feet. It feels like something is very loose underneath, but I checked many times with no success. By the way, my strut mount isolators are stipped where the piston goes through. So when I go to tighten the piston nut the piston just spins with the nut until I finally tighten it down. Could this cause the Caster to change? Mine is at 2.0 on both sides as oppose to 2.6 as per Nissan. The caster used to be at 2.6 a long time ago I should add

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The upper strut mount hole is keyed. When the key way wares down, the piston spings when you tighten it. Happens, usually a shot from an impact guy will get the nut tight. That shouldn't effect caster. Incorrect caster reading usually means something is bent. Being your caster is even on both sides, I'd leave it alone.

You could have a bad strut too.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:38 PM

Lots of people have this problem (if yours is the one I'm thinking about), there was a thread about it 3 months back. When you're stopped and then launch(no matter how hard) do you hear a clunk from the left front of your car? Near the wheel bearing? It only happens for most people during the launch, but nobody knows what it is.
-Cyrus
Old 08-12-2003, 09:53 PM

I can feel mine all the time while driving, slowly driving mainly. I guess I'll fork out the $70 on new strut isolators cause they're stipped as is. Hopefully that will change something!

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Lots of people have this problem (if yours is the one I'm thinking about), there was a thread about it 3 months back. When you're stopped and then launch(no matter how hard) do you hear a clunk from the left front of your car? Near the wheel bearing? It only happens for most people during the launch, but nobody knows what it is.
-Cyrus
YES!... I've been having this exact problem forever... and when I get it checked out at the dealership, they say it is the FSTB (no, it's not) because it is the same when removed. Then he says maybe the bushings? What have most people done about this?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Most people have just lived with it. I have replaced my passenger's side contorol arm, hub, strut, wheel bearings, and FSB bushings. Still have the noise.
-Cyrus
Old 08-13-2003, 05:18 PM

I had this noise a few months ago. Greased up the FSB bushings (D shaped) really good and it went away.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have had this noise and can feel it through the peddles as well. If I bounce the front end really hard, I can replicate the noise but it's hard to tell where it's coming from. It is NOT from the spring/strut assembly but some lower suspension component. Well today, I had some free time so went under the car to look around. Everything looks fine! Not a single thing looks amiss. Since I get this only on the drivers side, I took some belt dressing spray and sprayed every bushing/joint in site and the noise was completely gone. A test drive demonstrated NO more pop/clunk/crunching noises. I'm pretty sure it must be one of the bushings but don't know which one. The control arm bushing looks fine. The FSB bushings also look fine. I know the belt dressing is only a temporary fix--I honestly feel a bushing is worn and I'm getting metal-metal noises.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 PM

Looks like this is a more common problem that needs a fix! I know I won't be able to live with it. I will however find a fix. It might take some time though. Thanks everybody for your input. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:50 PM

Alright guys/gals...

It looks like I fixed the noise and the vibration issue!! I've replaced the strut mount isolators and the FSB main bushings. The isolators are the key players in the solution. The rubber on the old ones was very hard and compressed. Also make sure you tighten all the bolts and nuts to the appropriate torque specs. You'll be suprised how much vibration you'll get from over torqued nuts in anything suspension related especially the lug nuts! I'll post an update in a few weeks to let you know if noise comes back
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 PM

strut mount isolators.... that rubber piece that sits on top of the spring under the strut mount?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:29 AM

It's the piece where the piston goes through and the piston nut goes in. It's keyed for the piston as njmax... pointed out. However, that might not be the case for everybody. When you push down on the front of you car looking under the hood, the piston should move up and down about a 1/4 of an inch when the isolators are in good condition. If the piston doesn't move that much, that could mean that the rubber became too hard and is no longer in good working condition.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2003, 09:52 AM

so when u purchase the strut mounts... they come with that rubber piece... i thought u can buy them seperately...
Old 08-29-2003, 09:26 AM

No you'll need to purchase the strut mount isolators. The strut mounts are a separate piece.

Good luck.