General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Appealing tix next week. Need advice. Please help! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:37 AM

Appealing tix next week. Need advice. Please help! (long)

Hey guys. A while back i posted a lil story bout how i got sum tix, b4 i got my V1. what basically happened is i was on my way home from appealing a ticket already, that i lost anyway, and i was booting it down 89 in VT. i see a trooper and i try and slow down but it was too late. as he pull sme over another trooper pulls up next to him and they are both giving me ish bout how fast i was driving and they BOTH gave me ticket!! $325 for doin 98 i think and like $487 for doin 110. i thought it was illegal to get 2 tix at the same time for the same offense but i guess not.

My appeal date for both tix is this coming wednesday Nov 12 at 2pm. Now when ur going that fast theres no way i can get away for free so what im thinking of doing is pleading guilty and apologizing and all that crap and hoping that they only give me 1 of the 2 tix.

Is there anything else i should try and throw in there to help persuade the judge or should i go with another story? i kno most of u will say stop driving fast but its kinda to late this time so any advice that will help in any way would b greatly appreciated.

Thanx alot, BeRTo
Old 11-07-2003, 06:51 AM
It's chrome alright...

from a post of mine in OT...

I posted this in OT a while ago... it all depends on your situation, but 2 cops getting you on different radar for doing the same thing is going to be VERY difficult to fight. You will probably get one of them thrown out but DO NOT mention "sorry, I was pi*sed because I just lost a speeding ticket appeal."

---my post in OT---

I wasn't actually speeding (this time ) and got a ticket for 55 in a 35...I was probably going 38-40.

I was in the left lane, a car in the right lane behind me, and a car coming up VERY fast behind me. I moved to the right lane to get out of the way and when I looked up there was a cop in the road pointing me off the road (see picture). He said he got me on radar where that car is with the headlights on. That picture is blown up... the headlights are over 900 feet away.

Today in court I showed the cop a picture and asked "was traffic like this?" (see picture) and he said "yes". Then I started asking questions about how radar determines which car to "target" and he explained it "targets the fastest car." So I asked him to look at the picture and tell me how he could reliably target my car. The road comes downhill and he was sitting on the slightly uphill side, so his radar was sweeping the ENTIRE road including all the cars behind me.

Then I asked "how far does radar go?" and he said "to infinity". Then "how wide is the beam at 1000 feet?" and he said "I don't know." The judge looked at him and said "really? You really don't know?" and he said "no, I don't know." So I said "would you be surprised to learn the beam is over 250 feet wide at 1000 feet?" and he said "I don't know. All I know is I reliably targeted your car."

me: "how did you reliably target my car from 1000 feet with a radar beam 250 feet wide when you just said the radar picks the fastest car?"
him: "I reliably targeted your car."
me: "is it possible you were pointing at my car and the radar picked a car speeding behind me?"
him: "I reliably targeted your car"
me: "or beside me?"
him: "I reliably targeted ..."
and that's when the judge cut him off and said "that's enough" and I won.

I was surprised...VERY surprised that a 20 year cop didn't know more about radar. I didn't expect him to be an expert, but he should at least know the operating parameters of the equipment.

Oh, and I didn't think this up on my own. I got the line of questioning from one of those "beat a ticket" websites and the info on the radar gun from some other website. I hope it was right .

I used this site for research
http://www.norman-law.com/page6.html

and got those questions from this page
http://www.norman-law.com/page22.html

But it's worth reading the whole site... saved me a $150 fine and I don't know how much on my insurance!