General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just got 67 Dollar ticket for FOG LIGHTS! GRrr. help me out

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 09:00 PM

Some jerk of a police man gave me a TICKET for having my other pair of fog lights. 67 friggen bucks. So i am going to appeal this,i think. What is the website that give me the motor vehical laws for maine? I need to look through them and see what they say about fog lights. This is just dumb. I hate cops on power trips.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:01 PM
Vic

your only allowed by law to have 4 lights on at the same time..did you have all 6 lights on while driving?
Vic

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Some jerk of a police man gave me a TICKET for having my other pair of fog lights. 67 friggen bucks. So i am going to appeal this,i think. What is the website that give me the motor vehical laws for maine? I need to look through them and see what they say about fog lights. This is just dumb. I hate cops on power trips.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:05 PM

Yeah i had all my lights on, but still this is bull ****. Its like giving a ticket for forgetting to turn off your high beams or somthing. God damn this makes me mad.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:32 PM

sorry for being dumb but...

when you say you can only 4 lights on at a time, does that include the corner lights too ???

or with the 4 lights are we talkin about bright white lights?

just wondering
Old 03-03-2001, 10:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: sorry for being dumb but...

I don't think the clearence lights count. But the law is 4 lights. Maybe it means driving lights. The cop is just doing his job. Easy money for them. Didn't you know that you would prolly get a ticket for that eventually?
Old 03-03-2001, 11:04 PM

Well, if u had all ur lights on, and maine's vehicle code only allows 4 to be on... u really don't have a case...If u knew the law, u should have been more careful
Old 03-03-2001, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn you have been having some bad luck lately!

I got pulled over in my Maxima for having 6 headlights on and I was given a writen worning{lucky me I guess?}.
Old 03-04-2001, 03:53 AM

ok now take it easy

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
I don't much like cops because it's ironic--the cops in the dangerous cities like mine make 35-50 grand, but their lives are on the line. The standards are low and so are the pay. The cops in the suburbs (like where Kobe Bryant is from) where there is nothing going on make 50-70 grand, as do the troopers. That's why there is a low perception of law enforcement. Power trip is right--two troopers got indicted for you know the shenanigans with the women motorists.

Anyway, the biggest mistake you can make is taking a ticket personally. The cop has a job to do, so he's gonna write a ticket. The only thing that coulda saved you was if he were on his Krispy Kreme run, which he wasn't. If he's got anything on you, it's gonna be you. It woulda been me if I were driving your car under the same circumstances, so it's nothing personal. Just pay the $67 and be totally done with it. By getting mad and having this on your mind for 6 weeks is a waste of your valuable time. It does ****, and we've all been there. Just don't let it get you down.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:17 AM

insurance?

Does my insurance go up because of this? And do i loose my lisance, as i havent had it for 2 years? The cop said he was 90% sure that i wouldnt. This is just DUMB, i mean its like giving a ticket for forgetting to click off your high beams. I feel as though i should contest this...
Old 03-04-2001, 07:37 AM

You have zero chance of winning unless the cop doesn't show up for the appeal.
Old 03-04-2001, 07:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

your insurance won't go up for this and i don't see why you'd lose your liscense unless you have some other stuff under your belt (but even then!!). Dude, calm down. It's not like getting a ticket for leaving your high beams on, it's like getting a ticket for having your extra fogs on! If you KNEW you could only have on 4 lights in maine and you had your fogs on anyway... you broke the law. pay your ticket and don't do it again. If you didn't know, well, now you do hehe.

The bottom line is the cop was just doing his job man.
Old 03-04-2001, 08:44 AM

I didnt know that i couldnt do this.The law says you have to dim your fog lights when you go by a car, just like you have to turn off high beams. same exact thing. It doesnt seem like ill win this, but damnit! I want to use my fog lights, i like them!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lighting tickets are a non-moving violation (at least where I live), and as such probably can't cause you to get points or lose your license. It's the same as having a headlight out or something like that.
Old 03-04-2001, 04:54 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

You won't get an insurance hike for that. And for future reference, you can probably get a ticket for almost any mod
Old 03-04-2001, 09:35 PM

dont worry about it

Its a non-moving violation, its like a parking ticket just a lot more. If you really don't wanta pay it, then don't.

Although I'd only suggest this if you got the ticket in some town you rarly go into. I have friends who have mounds of non-moving violations; parking tickets, etc. and never pay them and nothing has ever happened to them, when cops pull them over they don't see the violation since its a non-moving one. At least in Illinois that's how it is; to the best of my knowledge.

It's only $67, just think of all the illegal stuff you've done and never been caught for (speeding, etc.).

-Nate