General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How do I stop A spin out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So I'm going though a fairly big curve and I feel my rear end start to come out, I wasnt quite what to do it happened so fast, what I did do was turn the wheel in the same direction that the rear was sliding towards, and that caused the rear to go the complete opposite way, causing the car to do a 180 in the road and then go off the road. I think that if I had turned the wheel the opposite way that the rear was going then I would have still spun out but I would have ended up in the on coming lane instead of the side of the road, and there was on coming cars so that really wasnt an option, but I was thinking what if I had hit the gas, could that possibly have pulled the car straight? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-04-2001, 04:28 PM

sounds like a RWD thingy.
Old 03-04-2001, 04:38 PM
Administrator

well their are some other factors here:

do you have a Rear Sway Bar? - get one
how fast where you driving? - at very high speeds not much you can do to prevent this..
was it snowing or snow or ice on the ground? - then their isn't much you can do apart from counter steer which you said you tried...

some times you can turn the wheel left to right to try and catch the car.. but its not a good time to practise when its in that actual emergency.. you should if it snows in your area.. go in a empty lot with snow and practise to countersteer... oh and a clutch helps too
Old 03-04-2001, 04:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you basically over steered.. did u hit the brakes mid turn? you are supposed to turn w/ the same way of the skid..if it swings the other way turn it back the other way...keep doing that until u get control back. if you're FWD then don't even think about touching the gas. best thing to do for a skid is not to get into one in the 1st place..a good tip is never expect your tires to do two things at the same time..IE brake and turn..the tires will give up something and that'll prob be traction.

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
So I'm going though a fairly big curve and I feel my rear end start to come out, I wasnt quite what to do it happened so fast, what I did do was turn the wheel in the same direction that the rear was sliding towards, and that caused the rear to go the complete opposite way, causing the car to do a 180 in the road and then go off the road. I think that if I had turned the wheel the opposite way that the rear was going then I would have still spun out but I would have ended up in the on coming lane instead of the side of the road, and there was on coming cars so that really wasnt an option, but I was thinking what if I had hit the gas, could that possibly have pulled the car straight? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-04-2001, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SprintMax
[I]well their are some other factors here:

do you have a Rear Sway Bar? - get one
how fast where you driving? - at very high speeds not much you can do to prevent this..

I dont have a rear sway bar, I have Sprints/Konis, and I was going faster than I should have been going.
Old 03-04-2001, 04:46 PM
Administrator

If you like taking corners at high speeds then it maybe a good thing for you to get a rear sway bar.. it really helps..
Old 03-04-2001, 05:05 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

No RSB won't help him ->

He oversteered. If he was understeering, RSB will help. When your back end is coming around during a turn, you need to steer where you want to go and give it more gas. I bet during the turn your foot was no longer on the gas, but was resting on your brake pedal. When you started to feel the rear end loosing traction, you thought you were going to fast so you brake. Soon as you brake the rear end came around even faster. You tried to steer to stay on the road while you were braking, but still ended up on the side of the road.

Bottom line, you want to get your front end ahead of your rear end. You need to give it more gas to get your front end to lead the car and the rear end will naturally follow. Your front end still have traction, so you can still save it.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:49 PM

what's the diff?

It was raining last weekend and I took a left turn normally but punched the gas 3/4 the way through the turn and lost the rear...oh yeah, my volvo's rwd. I let off the gas slightly, countersteared (rear was going right...i steered right) and grabbed traction and was fine....did I do it right? AFter that, I was trying to whip the rear around every right turn I took...kinda fun, but a lil scary when going at moderate speed (+20mph).
Jay
________
Buy vaporgenie

Last edited by ThurzNite; 03-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:34 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

NO WRONG
if this is a FWD, you hit the gas. the traction will pull the loose rear end back into traction..

DO NOT HIT BRAKE. you'll loose it.

counter steer the opposite way of the slide, (i.e. back end is going left, turn the wheel left and stomp on gas)

if you hit the brakes or let off gas. you're good as toast.

the RSB will Actually INDUCE a rear slide out.why? the rear sway bar makes the end act like one big unit. that's why in severe corners, the rear actually pops out...

the worse thing you can do, like Tony said, is to tap the brake in a turn.

reason why i lost the rear end was because of gravel and no room in the road for me to recover. i countersteered and munched the gas. but poof. into the curb i went..

sorry to hear of your spin out.. but... just remember in the future. GAS on spinout. brake before the turn. egress and power out.

[Edited by Chebosto on 03-05-2001 at 01:38 AM]
Old 03-05-2001, 12:04 AM
spyder

they are definetly right ..... but imagine your car is driving straight..... now if the rear of your car gets past about 25 or even 30 degrees from the midline.... do what nissan says.......

Enjoy the Ride