General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Freddie and HIDS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:02 AM

Freddie and HIDS

Is it true that all HIDS are now illegal ? I havent been on here in months and i was wondering because i wanted the H3 8000k blue.If yall have a number to reach Freddie at let me know cuz i cant get in touch wit him thanx, Pe@ce
Old 02-25-2004, 01:11 PM

I don't know who Freddy is. But I think his number is 911-5252 if I'm not mistaken. Give him a call, tell him hi for me.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

they are illegal, just like tints, just like y-pipes, just like turbo's but no one stops u for them. Ever since August 15 when the rule was put in, not one single person including myself has been given a hard time about HIDS...atleast on maxima.org i havent seen any. Its a BS law that does nothing but show people that law is aware of the negative's of HIDS...blinding others.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:51 PM

From what I know about this ban, it's the sale not having the HIDs!

Then again, some laws are weird. so I dunno?!?!?!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Always sunny in philly

Its illegal if the HIDS are pointed up blinding everyone..but if u adjust your headlights down, you're ok.

The Aug. 15th law prohibited the SALE of HIDS. Freddie continued selling for a while, but i called him 2 weeks ago and said their shipment of HIDS have been stopped. Havent heard from him since.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
I don't know who Freddy is. But I think his number is 911-5252 if I'm not mistaken. Give him a call, tell him hi for me.

...........?

Freddie after 11am-(201)993-3633

His kits are great and he's a great guy to deal with.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
they are illegal, just like tints, just like y-pipes, just like turbo's but no one stops u for them. Ever since August 15 when the rule was put in, not one single person including myself has been given a hard time about HIDS...atleast on maxima.org i havent seen any. Its a BS law that does nothing but show people that law is aware of the negative's of HIDS...blinding others.
I knew y pipes were illegal because they remove factory emissions equipment, but I thought turbos and tints were fine? There's a lot of cars that come with HID's and/or turbos from the factory. What about those? Is it just the sale of them? And I'm sure tints are legal, it's just you can't be too dark. Like 25% or 35% depending on the states.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:55 AM
$tillenmax2k

tints are legal to certain extents depending on the state

the law prohibits the sales of hids, aftermarket wise.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Eric425
I knew y pipes were illegal because they remove factory emissions equipment, but I thought turbos and tints were fine? There's a lot of cars that come with HID's and/or turbos from the factory. What about those? Is it just the sale of them? And I'm sure tints are legal, it's just you can't be too dark. Like 25% or 35% depending on the states.
my apologies, tints are legal provided they are not on the front windows but even in some states i think they are still illegal in the back windows.

turbo's are legal on cars they come with stock but on our cars they are illegal or atleast i really think they are. If you are next to a cop and u rev hard and he hears your BOV go off i think he'll stop u and probably ask u a few questions vs if u revved and he just heard muffler.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
my apologies, tints are legal provided they are not on the front windows but even in some states i think they are still illegal in the back windows.

turbo's are legal on cars they come with stock but on our cars they are illegal or atleast i really think they are. If you are next to a cop and u rev hard and he hears your BOV go off i think he'll stop u and probably ask u a few questions vs if u revved and he just heard muffler.
OK, I don't mean to be the **** who doesn't post all that often and then comes back and *****es, but don't post up anything if you aren't positive about it - otherwise put a disclaimer in the post...

"Tints are illegal" is a false statement. Tints in some places, on some parts of the car, and/or to varying degrees are illegal. Turobs are not illegal - the only way a turbo could possibly be construed as illegal is if you remove emissions equipment in the process of putting the turbo on...
That being said, I haven't a clue about the HID or y-pipe stuff...
Old 02-26-2004, 09:00 AM

You'll have to buy HID's from Canada and have them shipped across the border. Declared as automotive electronics.

CM.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:04 AM

i don't understand this law...
who are they trying to help here? if HID lights are properly built they don't blind anyone, and they provide added safety b/c they help you see shyt thats sitting out on the road better than our POS stock lights... and does this mean that companies such as hid-tech will go out of business?

i think this is the most retarded law ever
Old 02-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Well that's the issue right? Its not about factory HID headlights that come with the car. It has to do with the retrofit HID kits. I've been absolutely blinded by some kits in other cars, including Maximas. My CATZ HID kit seems to make the lowest glare, not sure why that is, but I also have them aimed down. Even HIDs aimed down still shoot off a lot of glare above the horizontal plane.

Originally Posted by 007max
i don't understand this law...
who are they trying to help here? if HID lights are properly built they don't blind anyone, and they provide added safety b/c they help you see shyt thats sitting out on the road better than our POS stock lights... and does this mean that companies such as hid-tech will go out of business?

i think this is the most retarded law ever
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by 87MustangGT
"Tints are illegal" is a false statement. Tints in some places, on some parts of the car, and/or to varying degrees are illegal. Turobs are not illegal - the only way a turbo could possibly be construed as illegal is if you remove emissions equipment in the process of putting the turbo on...
That being said, I haven't a clue about the HID or y-pipe stuff...
OK, I don't mean to be the **** who doesn't post all that often and then comes back and b!tches, but don't post up anything if you aren't positive about it - otherwise put a disclaimer in the post... Where is your disclaimer? Going boosted doesn't remove the emissions equipment but it does change the the fuel curve and burn rate just a tad. Therefore, going boosted does alter emmisions making it illegal(I would asume).