General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Purchasing a new Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Purchasing a new Maxima

[COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]
I am looking at purchasing a new vehicle....Im loving the new Maxima's. I am new to the NEW car buying experience.....I just wanted to ask a few questions....I want to know what to look for in a dealership. Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 AM

Here is a pain-free method of buying a car:
1. Decide EXACTLY what you want: color, options, transmission, etc.
2. Go on-lin, say, Edmunds.com and nissanusa.com and wrtie down all package/option codes with MSRP and Invoice pricing.
3. Decide how much you are whilling to pay, considering all current rebates and financing offers.
4. Craft a FAX detailing what you want, with as much detail as possible, including if you would be finanacing through them or paying "cash" At the end of the fax state what you are want to offer for the car. Also make a note that you expect a reply by certain time and date, and provide your FAX number.
5. Fax this offer to several dealers in the area. Wait for results.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by schernov
Here is a pain-free method of buying a car:
1. Decide EXACTLY what you want: color, options, transmission, etc.
2. Go on-lin, say, Edmunds.com and nissanusa.com and wrtie down all package/option codes with MSRP and Invoice pricing.
3. Decide how much you are whilling to pay, considering all current rebates and financing offers.
4. Craft a FAX detailing what you want, with as much detail as possible, including if you would be finanacing through them or paying "cash" At the end of the fax state what you are want to offer for the car. Also make a note that you expect a reply by certain time and date, and provide your FAX number.
5. Fax this offer to several dealers in the area. Wait for results.

imho deciding how much is willing to pay is not a good way to go about it. If it were me, I'd try to determine how much everyone else is actually paying, and then I'd want to pay less than that. It's like buying a home, you always want to pay less than everyone else, not more. One thing that could offer insight is the Edmunds True Market Value.

Remember that invoice is irrelevant. Dealers can sell vehicles for less than invoice and still make a profit, due to many factors, holdback being one of them.

When you buy a car, there is a rip-off factor that is unavoidable. There is no deal that is "too good to be true." The notion that everything must go at the end of the month at any price is a myth.

I think the most important factors in getting a good deal is to let the dealership know not only are you shopping other dealers, but you can even consider not buying anything. And also, that you are paying cash or have your own financing, and there is no trade involved. As soon as you need financing and are trading-in, there is no good deal because the dealership is looking to profit on the financing and on the trade-in. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:18 AM

Also, don't underestimate the information you can get by getting price quotes from multiple dealers via the internet. You let them know what options/colors you're looking for and asking for their best price. They generally reply quickly and my experience has shown that the prices they come back with are pretty good compared to when you first go into the dealership cold. I then take the best internet price and go to the dealers in person to get an even better price. Hope this helps. Good luck...