General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Major Project Complete: and few others! Check 'em out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Major Project Complete: and few others! Check 'em out! *PICS*

DONE! It's like a stone off my chest that was there for over 3 months! So here is what I have accomplished since New Year:
* Interior lightning in red
* LED Blinkers (Thanks and Props to Geo1317)
* LED Tails - Props go to Araffio!
(Also hacked my airbox, shaved the burger, and whole lotta maintenance - that counts too! )

Also thanks to the Org for helping me on the way!

NEXT: Warpspeed Y-pipe - in Mail
GR-2s - In Garage
H Techs - in Mail

Spent a lot of money and time but I got what I wanted, decent looking slightly modded car that will not be just like any other Maxima on the road!

Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Old 04-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Old 04-14-2004, 07:17 PM

More Pictures HERE!

Sorry for quality, camcorders suck unfortunately in taking still images...
Old 04-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Jedi Knight

NICE work ...seems like everyone is going with LEDs...at least its still all custom work...nice job again!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:51 PM

Look what tony started with these LED tails IMHO they just dont look right?!?! Maybe they look better in person?! I just havent seen one set, including tonys, which looks right...

Eric
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
DoGGy

i want some LED tails !!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
VTEC This!

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Look what tony started with these LED tails IMHO they just dont look right?!?! Maybe they look better in person?! I just havent seen one set, including tonys, which looks right...

Eric
they look better in person, usually in pics the LED's don't look like there lined up well
Old 04-15-2004, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jessa
they look better in person, usually in pics the LED's don't look like there lined up well
That's right, in person they look much better, light is more vivid and brighter.

Originally Posted by slammed95
Damn, thought I was gonna see some real mods when I clicked on the link!
Could you give examples of real mods? I consider a mod to be something that is done custom, a bolt on like an y-pipe I simply consider a performance upgrade.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 AM

you get an "A" for effort on the tails, but a "F" on the looks. They just dont look right at all to me compared to the 97-99 styles ones. I think im gonna stick to my hyper red tail bulbs and maybe just to my blinkers LED instead.

I like the interior work too, red looks hott on a white car.
Ant
Old 04-15-2004, 11:46 AM

I think its the fact that you CAN see all the bulbs that really throws the look off. If something like Caddys taillights, or Infiniti's to where you cannot make out the bulbs, its just a blob of LED light would look 10000000000000000000000X's better IMHO.

Dont begin to flame me because of my opinion.

Eric
Old 04-15-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ny96max
you get an "A" for effort on the tails, but a "F" on the looks. They just dont look right at all to me compared to the 97-99 styles ones. I think im gonna stick to my hyper red tail bulbs and maybe just to my blinkers LED instead.
I welcome all kinds of opinions... though honestly I am kinda , I believe I am the first one who got a and out of those who've done this mod. However I need feedback, maybe in summer I will get busy with them again. What particularly you did not like about them?

I think its the fact that you CAN see all the bulbs that really throws the look off. If something like Caddys taillights, or Infiniti's to where you cannot make out the bulbs, its just a blob of LED light would look 10000000000000000000000X's better IMHO.

Eric
No, I won't . Thanks God I grew out of that age .

It is interesting that you mention it, because in fact I was going to tint upper part of tails (that's why I did not paint inside, it would be double work...) and give a little of tint to bottom part, to mask them a little more .. still waiting for my Night Shades to arrive.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
I welcome all kinds of opinions... though honestly I am kinda , I believe I am the first one who got a and out of those who've done this mod. However I need feedback, maybe in summer I will get busy with them again. What particularly you did not like about them?

No, I won't . Thanks God I grew out of that age .

It is interesting that you mention it, because in fact I was going to tint upper part of tails (that's why I did not paint inside, it would be double work...) and give a little of tint to bottom part, to mask them a little more .. still waiting for my Night Shades to arrive.

I have always not liked the LED tails on max's, however when you mentioned the nightshading...Do you think this will yield you my idea? A more blobby look of LED light? If so, then this would turn into a mod that would seriously appeal to me...

Eric
Old 04-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Eric

Infiniti G35 sedan/coupe and FX35/45 have LED tails in which the LEDs can be seen clear as day. They are completely exposed...what's the point of LED tails where the light is muffled into a big blob? Might as well just use regular incandescent bulbs. The LEDs light up quicker and a little brighter, but having them all blurred out is going to diminish the whole look. I think youre sense of styling a car is a little below par...

Having said that, the LED tails on the 95/96's look bad IMO. That reflector rectangle piece blocks a few LEDs making it look retarded. Great effort and great job custom making everything, its a lot of work.

99Maxima5sp, come to NY and check out my LED tails, I guarantee you'll want a set after seeing them in person.

-Tony
Old 04-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by araffio
Infiniti G35 sedan/coupe and FX35/45 have LED tails in which the LEDs can be seen clear as day. They are completely exposed...what's the point of LED tails where the light is muffled into a big blob? Might as well just use regular incandescent bulbs. The LEDs light up quicker and a little brighter, but having them all blurred out is going to diminish the whole look. I think youre sense of styling a car is a little below par...

Having said that, the LED tails on the 95/96's look bad IMO. That reflector rectangle piece blocks a few LEDs making it look retarded. Great effort and great job custom making everything, its a lot of work.

99Maxima5sp, come to NY and check out my LED tails, I guarantee you'll want a set after seeing them in person.

-Tony

My sense of styling a car is a little below par? According to who, you? Yeeeah, whatever you say. I was more referring to Caddys tailights (DTS) in which the tails are a blob. Looks nice IMO. The FX actual LEDs arent as visible as say...yours. At least i didnt think so. I happen to not really care for the look of a bunch of LED lights going across the tails. Yours do look the best out of all the ones ive seen, but im still not sold on them. Maybe over time they'll grow on me.

-Eric
Old 04-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

araffio, whatever happened to "to each his own"?

Personally if I put LED's in my tail lights and such, I would rather just have a big blob, I like the stock look yet I like what LED's have to offer.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:19 AM

what a failure... I'm just gonna burn them to hell
Old 04-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Kevlo for President

I think if you had some cleaner pics, it would looks better.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:33 AM

what a failure... I'm just gonna burn them to hell
No, I am just kidding. Thank you guys for appreciation of effort. Those who did this mod can probably truly understand it.
I must and do agree with araffio and other guys that reflector that is blocking some LEDs does indeed impede the looks.

Araffio, is that the only reason why you don’t like them?

I haven’t given a thought to it at all when I was designing the lay out. As a matter of fact, now that they are done, there are so many things I would want to improve and would have done differently. There is a way to go around the reflector, it has four transparent spaces, so the lay out can be designed for LEDs to be just in the level with them.

I will most likely redo them when this semester is over, like in 3 weeks.

As to the tint, it won’t make the light look like it’s the blob of light, one still will see individual LEDs. On Caddys it looks like it because LEDs are right one next another.

Don’t take my comments guys as if I am trying to please the crowd. I just wanna have feedback from you in order to make them better and if someone else will decides to do them, so they won’t repeat my mistakes!

kevlo911 – pictures do suck, you know yourself they look better in person
Old 04-16-2004, 09:00 AM

I applaud your effort with the tails. The reflectors were a really ***** in the 95/96 tails. I decided to stop the led rows before the reflector, because I thought it would look a lot cleaner than having leds in the reflector. This is one thing I dont really like about your led's. Other than that, good work and mess around with them a little bit. The g35's also have a LED reflector in them to make the Led's have a little bigger appearance.

-Nick
Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 AM

Yes, first thing I'll do, I will shift the boards to the sides to get them out of the way of reflectors, probably next week... I believe it will be much easier to make a new set from scratch in a way that LEDs would totally fill the space of the housing like kevlo911 or araffio's do, rather than trying to mess with present boards. Will see.....
Old 04-17-2004, 05:46 AM

No, I am just kidding. Thank you guys for appreciation of effort. Those who did this mod can probably truly understand it.
I must and do agree with araffio and other guys that reflector that is blocking some LEDs does indeed impede the looks.

Araffio, is that the only reason why you don’t like them?

I haven’t given a thought to it at all when I was designing the lay out. As a matter of fact, now that they are done, there are so many things I would want to improve and would have done differently. There is a way to go around the reflector, it has four transparent spaces, so the lay out can be designed for LEDs to be just in the level with them.

I will most likely redo them when this semester is over, like in 3 weeks.

As to the tint, it won’t make the light look like it’s the blob of light, one still will see individual LEDs. On Caddys it looks like it because LEDs are right one next another.

Don’t take my comments guys as if I am trying to please the crowd. I just wanna have feedback from you in order to make them better and if someone else will decides to do them, so they won’t repeat my mistakes!

kevlo911 – pictures do suck, you know yourself they look better in person
That's mainly the only reaosn I dont like them, but the fact that the 95/96 outter red lense is so clear, it makes the LEDs look smaller and therefore not as good. Try using some flourescent light cover between the LED board and the outter lense, I think that would spread the light of the LED out more, and make it look better. Maybe hit it with some translucent red paint too. Just a thought.

Tony
Old 04-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Kevlo for President

See Vlad, Tony had the same idea I did. Unless you already tried it, I also think it will work.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:30 PM

Thanks Guys! I'll get busy with them again right after exams. That's in two weeks. It better turn out good, I would hate putting Altezzas back there...