General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OHHH NOOOOO not again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 07:57 PM

the TL-S guys are at it again...
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000590.html
Old 04-01-2001, 08:05 PM

and they took a direct attack at adam (MY 4DSC)

damn... they just cant let this go buy them...
Old 04-01-2001, 08:19 PM

Hey manb. i htink you misread that. they were talking about 4dsc as in 4 door sports car and not adam.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:21 PM

Hmm Curious????

What does a TLS run in the 1/4 and 0-60 anyway???
Old 04-01-2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Hey manb. i htink you misread that. they were talking about 4dsc as in 4 door sports car and not adam.
nah read it again.. i read it a few times too... cause adam proved them wrong in the old thread... did u ever get that one? they closed it... http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000549.html thats the old one... so now they still talkin crap...
Old 04-01-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by psing23

nah read it again.. i read it a few times too... cause adam proved them wrong in the old thread... did u ever get that one? they closed it... http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000549.html thats the old one... so now they still talkin crap...
Ahh ok. I didnt read the old thread. Adam is a stock 2kmax with only S/C. He is not running what he can. He is also riding on 19" rims. Give him some more time and i can put my money down that he is running 13's with n/p.

Adam, show em whats up!
Old 04-01-2001, 08:28 PM

Added my 2 cents. I logged in as HondaBTR.... :smile:
Old 04-01-2001, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Synki

Ahh ok. I didnt read the old thread. Adam is a stock 2kmax with only S/C. He is not running what he can. He is also riding on 19" rims. Give him some more time and i can put my money down that he is running 13's with n/p.

Adam, show em whats up!

ye did he get his exhaust in yet? i wanna see what his #'s will be with the new exhaust and the smaller rims..

oooo mannn i want a SC so badddd
Old 04-01-2001, 08:39 PM

Some guy on that forum said a TL-s will get mid 5 second 0-60 with just headers. What is he smoking and can we get some?
Old 04-01-2001, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by kratz74
Some guy on that forum said a TL-s will get mid 5 second 0-60 with just headers. What is he smoking and can we get some?
ill pay top dollaaaaa
hehe

didnt get taht wrecked for a longggg timeeee hehe
Old 04-01-2001, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by psing23

ye did he get his exhaust in yet? i wanna see what his #'s will be with the new exhaust and the smaller rims..

oooo mannn i want a SC so badddd
He got his Y-pipe but it was the wrong one. He hasnt put it in yet though. He needs to drop those 19 inchers. If he gets his exhaust done and drops those rims, he is mid 13's easily. Adam knows what he is doing.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:03 PM

Here's what I threw in for P.U. Over there at the TL-S forum

Hey P.U. just read the signature buddy
------------------
1997 Nissan Maxima SE
"revs like no other engine this side of a Ferrari V8" What was said about the Maxima 3.0L v6 not the TL v6 sorry guys maybe you might have one of the 10 best engines 7 years and running someday but not for at least another 8 years

that was after he said "you can't worship your Maxima forever -- it's gunna rust eventually!"
My *** Nissan has much better quality that Acura- A.K.A. Honda
Old 04-02-2001, 07:25 PM

Doesn't stand a chance.

An Acura TL-S doesn't stand a chance againt a supercharged Maxima. I just wish I owned one so I could beat a couple of overpriced Hondas myself.
Old 04-03-2001, 06:06 AM

Re: Hmm Curious????

Originally posted by Victim64
What does a TLS run in the 1/4 and 0-60 anyway???
C&D tested the TL-S at something like 6.5 in 0-60. Can't remember the number for the 1320. I think it's in the recent newsstand issue.
Old 04-03-2001, 09:22 AM

They said that the TL-S is better than the Max

So why are they posting stuff like this?
rattles exhaust not even? Thought the TL-S was soooo much better that the Max?
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000521.html
Old 04-03-2001, 09:33 AM
The missing moderator

as a maxima owner, I say it is better. Better dealer service for one. Soething nissan dealers can only dream to become.

Why is it that so many on this forum is so narrow minded?

The maxima is a good car, but damn, it's not the only car.

-Shing
Old 04-03-2001, 09:56 AM

The owners here are really defensive sometimes. But it's the same at most of the forums I visit, Honda/Acura, Nissan, etc. A lot of the members here do seem to have an inferiority complex though. It's like they're ashamed they bought a Maxima or something and have to talk trash on anybody who dares to criticize it. I love my car, but I don't see the need to argue with everyone who has something negative to say about the car. And I don't go comparing it to cars that cost $10-20k and saying that the Maxima is better and they got ripped off and are stupid for paying so much for a car, etc.

BTW, the service at Nissan does suck big time.

Originally posted by Shingles
as a maxima owner, I say it is better. Better dealer service for one. Soething nissan dealers can only dream to become.

Why is it that so many on this forum is so narrow minded?

The maxima is a good car, but damn, it's not the only car.

-Shing
Old 04-03-2001, 11:48 AM

I merely went over there late Sunday night to screw around since (1) I couldn;t sleep and (2) my wife was out of town. I just grabbed a couple o' beers and played on their forum. NO biggie. If you guys hadn't provided a link, I would never have gone over there...I'm way too lazy for that.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:12 PM

The TL-S is a good car, but not entirely superior to a 01 Maxima. HP, yes. Exterior styling, yes. Handling, probably a yes. But that Honda style dash board is the first thing that will keep me from buying one. Heck, if Honda wants to promote a true luxury image for the Acura brand name, they need to give the interior a not-so-cheap look. And whoever said (at that TL forum) about the plasticky of the Maxima, I wonder how they can drive their TLs on a daily basis with those oh-so-plasticky leather wrappings.

Think about what Toyota did to its Lexus division (other than the overpriced IS300).
Old 04-03-2001, 01:09 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by focker2889
The TL-S is a good car, but not entirely superior to a 01 Maxima. HP, yes. Exterior styling, yes. Handling, probably a yes. But that Honda style dash board is the first thing that will keep me from buying one. Heck, if Honda wants to promote a true luxury image for the Acura brand name, they need to give the interior a not-so-cheap look. And whoever said (at that TL forum) about the plasticky of the Maxima, I wonder how they can drive their TLs on a daily basis with those oh-so-plasticky leather wrappings.

Think about what Toyota did to its Lexus division (other than the overpriced IS300).
To be honest, I think the 4th gen interior is pretty darn bland. Sorry, but there's just not much there. The TL/CL dahs looks nothing like any "honda" that I've seen lately. Infact I think it is on par if not better than a Max dash.

The leather in the maxima is pretty poor. in less than 3 years, they are already crapping out in my car. And yes, I take care of my car.

The plastic in the 4th gen isn't that much better...

Basically it comes down to this: The Maxima is not so great that we can go around bashing cars. Owner satisfaction and exprience is not about the 1/4 mile. It's a LOT more than that. The fact that when you walk into an Acura dealership and get greeted with a smile and a loaner car is pretty damn satifying. The fact that you know when you walk in there for a warranty work and don't have to worry about trying to make sure they won't blame *you* is also pretty satisfying.

I mean come on, the I30 is a maxima...

All I am saying is there's no reason to sit here and bash other cars simply because it's not a Maxima. There are some here that feel that they are better than the civic crowd because it's a Maxima... that may be true, EXCEPT they have the EXACT same behavior as many of those civic guys... basically bashing anything that's not what they are driving...

-Shing
Old 04-03-2001, 01:13 PM

Ignorance

Its not so much that I am defensive, it is more the fact that they are making unfounded and completely uneducated statements. Ignorance above all pisses me the hell off. Half of them have never even SAT in a fully loaded maxima. I must say as far as luxury goes my GLE is not lacking in any respect to my mom's lexus. AND I paid half the price. They make stupid statements like

"I find it interesting that none of our new Nissan friends (and by friends I mean trolls) compare their Maximas to the TL when the true competitor for the TL is the I30. Or doesn't THAT debate quite stack up in your favor"

HELLO!? The I30 is THE SAME THING.. just like a TL is an overpriced accord... not to mention it's also got 5 more horsepower...uh...why would we be afraid to compare THAT?

They got their numbers all screwy too... I NEVER dog on other peoples cars, i respect that everyone's got their own opinion and budget. But hey, I HATE stupid people above all else and more than anything I hate stupid people who make it their business to knock someone else's car based on uneducated assumptions.

I also find it interesting that their only excuses are "reliability" and "luxury"... usually things people resort to when they KNOW their cars are slower. Ok have a nice day, done ranting.
Old 04-03-2001, 01:29 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Ignorance

I believe TL is as far from being an accord as the LS400 is to the Avalon.

Sure it might be based on the same chassis... but it's pretty much different from there.

TL gets a 3.2 liter V6, while the accord V6 is 3.0. TL gets a 5 speed auto, while the accord 4 speed auto. I mean there's a bit of a difference here...

I30 *IS* the maxima with different clothing.

-Shing

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Its not so much that I am defensive, it is more the fact that they are making unfounded and completely uneducated statements. Ignorance above all pisses me the hell off. Half of them have never even SAT in a fully loaded maxima. I must say as far as luxury goes my GLE is not lacking in any respect to my mom's lexus. AND I paid half the price. They make stupid statements like

"I find it interesting that none of our new Nissan friends (and by friends I mean trolls) compare their Maximas to the TL when the true competitor for the TL is the I30. Or doesn't THAT debate quite stack up in your favor"

HELLO!? The I30 is THE SAME THING.. just like a TL is an overpriced accord... not to mention it's also got 5 more horsepower...uh...why would we be afraid to compare THAT?

They got their numbers all screwy too... I NEVER dog on other peoples cars, i respect that everyone's got their own opinion and budget. But hey, I HATE stupid people above all else and more than anything I hate stupid people who make it their business to knock someone else's car based on uneducated assumptions.

I also find it interesting that their only excuses are "reliability" and "luxury"... usually things people resort to when they KNOW their cars are slower. Ok have a nice day, done ranting.
Old 04-03-2001, 01:39 PM

I agree w/ Shingles

The only diff between the Max and the I30 is a couple hundred pounds. I love my Max but I'm not about to say that it's better than every other car out there, especially those twice the price.
Old 04-03-2001, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Shingles

To be honest, I think the 4th gen interior is pretty darn bland. Sorry, but there's just not much there. The TL/CL dahs looks nothing like any "honda" that I've seen lately. Infact I think it is on par if not better than a Max dash.

The leather in the maxima is pretty poor. in less than 3 years, they are already crapping out in my car. And yes, I take care of my car.

The plastic in the 4th gen isn't that much better...

Basically it comes down to this: The Maxima is not so great that we can go around bashing cars. Owner satisfaction and exprience is not about the 1/4 mile. It's a LOT more than that. The fact that when you walk into an Acura dealership and get greeted with a smile and a loaner car is pretty damn satifying. The fact that you know when you walk in there for a warranty work and don't have to worry about trying to make sure they won't blame *you* is also pretty satisfying.

I mean come on, the I30 is a maxima...

All I am saying is there's no reason to sit here and bash other cars simply because it's not a Maxima. There are some here that feel that they are better than the civic crowd because it's a Maxima... that may be true, EXCEPT they have the EXACT same behavior as many of those civic guys... basically bashing anything that's not what they are driving...

-Shing
I agree that the 4th gen interior is bland. And I agree that the leather isn't that good as well. I also agree that Nissan has lousy dealerships and customer service.

I am a car lover and I can always find something good about a certain model whether it is from Kia, Toyota, or MB. However, it is my belief that the TL (b/4 the mild mid-model year update) looks bland and very Honda-like from the front to the interior. It is a good thing because it is a continuation of the design theme at Honda. It, nonetheless, also hurts the brand image by being too Honda. Good or bad, I don't know. Nissan tried very hard to differentiate its 5th gen from the I30 and ended up with an ugly butt, but a better interior.

When it comes to personal taste, I don't like spending 28-33k to sit inside something that my wife and I feel like sitting in its lesser cousin. Yes, I believe Acura did a better job in differentiating its entry-level TL from the Accord with this latest iteration than what Nissan did with the I30. But it just doesn't project the entry-level luxury image like the ES300 does. For 33k I would get myself something fun, not a family hauler. The Z3 2.3 or the S2000 are good choices or may be the TT.

And the Civic thing, that's a bit over if you are addressing that to me. And forget about the plastic, we all know that is bad.
Old 04-03-2001, 06:28 PM
The missing moderator

Nope, not addressing it towards you, it was a general statement.

As for the TL... I think honda is not trying all that hard to deferentiate. If you look at any acura, there are plenty of things to remind you it's a honda... like all the honda names on the windshield, etc. I am sure honda could do a better job if they really wanted to differentiate. I don't think that's the goal though.

-Shing

Originally posted by focker2889

I agree that the 4th gen interior is bland. And I agree that the leather isn't that good as well. I also agree that Nissan has lousy dealerships and customer service.

I am a car lover and I can always find something good about a certain model whether it is from Kia, Toyota, or MB. However, it is my belief that the TL (b/4 the mild mid-model year update) looks bland and very Honda-like from the front to the interior. It is a good thing because it is a continuation of the design theme at Honda. It, nonetheless, also hurts the brand image by being too Honda. Good or bad, I don't know. Nissan tried very hard to differentiate its 5th gen from the I30 and ended up with an ugly butt, but a better interior.

When it comes to personal taste, I don't like spending 28-33k to sit inside something that my wife and I feel like sitting in its lesser cousin. Yes, I believe Acura did a better job in differentiating its entry-level TL from the Accord with this latest iteration than what Nissan did with the I30. But it just doesn't project the entry-level luxury image like the ES300 does. For 33k I would get myself something fun, not a family hauler. The Z3 2.3 or the S2000 are good choices or may be the TT.

And the Civic thing, that's a bit over if you are addressing that to me. And forget about the plastic, we all know that is bad.