General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gas prices on the rise again

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
why don't ask the dude who made the anti-arab statement to make an apology to the arabs? hhhmmm. that's what i thought, you're agenda's are so one sided.
Everything that you say just confirms your level of stupidity. Jews don't praise suicide killings, you stupid a-hole.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Yea, in the past day, gas went up a nickel. I haven't even hit the 3/4 of the tank mark yet and probably will fill again today, just to ensure I'm getting the best price possible - think about it, the next time you drive by a gas station, it will be more expensive than the last.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Everything that you say just confirms your level of stupidity. Jews don't praise suicide killings, you stupid a-hole.
Bro, thanks for stooping down to his level. You could have left it, but you had to bring it up. Not every arab praises suicide killings, there are a focused few who do this, and consequently give the race as a whole a terrible reputation.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:49 PM

i'm not anti semetic you ignorant hick. just stating a plain and simple thruth. check your goverment's budget and see where most of the international aid goes. Israel. innocent americans are fighting and dying for someone else's agenda.

go back to grade school and learn your facts straight, before you can even say the word "budget".
Old 03-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Get your anti-semitic sorry *** out from here, punk! Jewish ppl are no different than anyone else, going to school, working hard, and make an honest living. You owe an apology to jewish folks here.
Just to quote - MOST arabs are no different from anyone else, going to school, working hard, and make an honest living. You owe an apology to arab folks here. Remember, just because we're in America, doesn't mean that there are no people of Arabic descent reading, yes, on a maxima.org website. The fact of the matter is this - you don't know who you are reaching out to when you say stuff like this, anyone that is hiding behind their s/n's on this website can be grouped in the people you have offended, by generalizing them to suicide bombers and such. The best thing to do now is to drop it.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:25 PM

no, it's your Jewish run govenment that has you by the *****. they get the oil dirt cheap from the arabs and then jack up the prices here in the U.S. to pay fpr an unjustified war.
I'm glad anti semitism is part of your agenda...
It was a joke and supposed to stay a joke.

Truth is over 60% of our oil is imported as I stated before, our needs have far exceeded our supplies. And just so you know... our Government is pretty much all white ango saxon protestants... good luck in life, you sound like a winner.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:23 PM

yeah bush is taxing our gas like an ***... seriously
Old 03-10-2005, 04:27 PM

boy what a bunch of ******.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Welcome to America... the arabs have us by the *****...
It is our own American's who bring this trouble. Look no further than your beloved Bush.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:53 PM

Wow gas prices to Bush bashing.. typical young liberal punks.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:56 PM

I don't understand why the mods haven't locked this thread yet, it's just gonna get uglier.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Kevlo for President

From 2.05 to 2.29 in 2 days
Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by illmortal
regular gas went from $1.94 to $2.13.... i haven't checked out the 91 garde octane prices. This is here in broward county.
Last year, when I was in Florida, the prices were way lower then in Jersey...

Why is it more expensive now? When it was $2.00 in Jersey, I paid $1.70 in Florida.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I at least see driving as recreation, so movies cost about 8.50 now and driving 75 miles like i stole my car is the same cost. But some people have it right, how much was gas back in 99'?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
I just paid 2.17 today for 93 and thats VERY cheap. Every where else its about 2.35
Yeah, me too. On gerritsen Ave they usually have thr best prices.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Gas back in the day when I was 16 years old, it was only $1.40-.50, damn i miss those days.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I don't understand why the mods haven't locked this thread yet, it's just gonna get uglier.
It's probably coming soon. I just wish we could discuss gas prices without going to extremes and hurling insults.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Keep crying guys. I pay 93 cents a liter here in Canada, that's 3.60$ a gallon.

Wanna know what's worse? I drive my 89 Tempo beater in the winter, it uses 87 octane. That's right, 3.60$ a gallon for 87 octane. Can't complain though, once we had it up to 1.07$ a liter for 87(regular) octane. That's 4.14$ a gallon. The max takes 91 or 94 octane, depending on how I feel. 94 Octane, at that price, would be 4.86$ a gallon

That would be 80$ to fill up. Of course, that's CANADIAN money, which equals roughly 2.33 1/2 US when the nine planets are aligned.
We could get really technical and say adjusted for inflation, we're not even at a historical high. But in lay terms, things are expensive.

The only way to fight our cost of living now is to get a better job. Let's be real, even with an avg. raise one is lucky to get 4-6 grand per year. Upon changing jobs that would be minimum 10 to 15 each move.

There are many difficult factors going on. Our $ has fallen, equities are feeling pressure from high oil prices, interest rates have moved up which has already hammered the existing home sales. Yet in my office on person has a real Hummer and several the H2. E55, S5's and 6's, new Pathfinders, Maximas, TL's, multiple 7-series--I can tell you the people driving these vehicles do not make that much money relative to the price of those vehicles. We seem to be very willing to be saddled with debt these days.

Again, the moral of my story is if you make a career move to get better pay, much of this pressure is relieved. If you borrow to overcome these costs, it just makes things worse imho. 15 cents/gal is not the end of the world, but it's just another factor resulting in less buying power today than a few years ago.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by garbury
I at least see driving as recreation, so movies cost about 8.50 now and driving 75 miles like i stole my car is the same cost. But some people have it right, how much was gas back in 99'?
I've owned my car new since 1998. When I got it, regular unleaded was 1.099. In 2001, I bought regular for 0.899 that summer in NJ. Of course, I paid 2.059 for Sunoco 93 last Sat. Though that is 2.199 yesterday, I have still seen 2.089 for 93 at Hess. With prices this high, retailers are uncertain as to how much they can rob their customers. Proof? An 11 cent disparity for super among stations that are across the street from one another. Also, very few retailers are willing to sell super for more than 20 cents more than regular. That is an artificial price, and reflects the elasticity of demand. It was 20 cents when regular was 1.099, and it's still 16 cents when regular is 2.039. 16 cents divided by 2.039 is only 7.85%, while 20 cents divided by 1.099 is 18.2%. So Super is relatively cheap today. Get it on 6 cent tuesdays when it's a dime more than regular, and 93 octane is a no-brainer. How generous, 6 cents off, right? When it's 2.199.......

Gasoline is a highly-manipulated commodity imho. With all this BS going on, I bought a case of Castrol GTX for $15.48--that is with oil futures being $55/ barrel on NYMEX. As long as our demand remains strong, and China and India ramping up, we might as well get used to it.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:06 AM

Again, the moral of my story is if you make a career move to get better pay
The moral I got from your story is spend less money on crap you can't afford, and it leaves more money for things you have to afford At $2.10/gallon for 93 I'm paying $290/month. That's not sooooo bad. If I was already up to my ***** in debt with a big car payment, it would be a lot worse, especially if that car's gas mileage sucked very bad, as it does for most of the cars you listed your over-spending co-workers as having!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
There are many difficult factors going on. Our $ has fallen, equities are feeling pressure from high oil prices, interest rates have moved up which has already hammered the existing home sales. Yet in my office on person has a real Hummer and several the H2. E55, S5's and 6's, new Pathfinders, Maximas, TL's, multiple 7-series--I can tell you the people driving these vehicles do not make that much money relative to the price of those vehicles. We seem to be very willing to be saddled with debt these days.

Again, the moral of my story is if you make a career move to get better pay, much of this pressure is relieved. If you borrow to overcome these costs, it just makes things worse imho. 15 cents/gal is not the end of the world, but it's just another factor resulting in less buying power today than a few years ago.
The potential problem I see with people that have a hard time with finances before they get a higher paying job is they will overspend to compensate for the pay increase. That's the way a lot of Americans think. Instead of saving more, we sometimes spend more. The money some people try to save on gas will be spent buying other things most likely. Of course I am disciplined when it comes to financial matters.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 AM

True... in highschool I never saved my money, I was just basically going paycheck by paycheck, but then again in the gas subject... I was only spendin less than $1.50 per gallon... we're talkin $13 to fill a tank lol. Anyways I dunno but someone needs to come out with a better technology for fuel in vehicles, and just cut off the gas powered vehicle industry. (I have a dream!)
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
The potential problem I see with people that have a hard time with finances before they get a higher paying job is they will overspend to compensate for the pay increase. That's the way a lot of Americans think. Instead of saving more, we sometimes spend more. The money some people try to save on gas will be spent buying other things most likely. Of course I am disciplined when it comes to financial matters.
Yeah, you're right. I guess if you spend a lot when you're young, you will tend to do the same when you're older. The other extreme is if you grew up dirt poor, you may still be frugal when you have lots of money. You tend to see that in the older generations, those who lived during the WW's.

People at my work tend to brag about their homes. One guy at lunch was complaining he got an estimate to do EP Henry pavers at 40 grand. I don't think he was complaining really, he just wanted to drop that number out for everyone to hear. I held my tongue but would ask him if it's really worth it on a 50-yr old home, because it's unlikely the cost could be recovered upon resale. But everyone wants what they want!

Back to the gasoline thing, it was even worse today. Wonderful way to head into the weekend, with our stocks all battered and oil still climbing....oil up 1.7% at nearly 54 1/2. I will venture a guess that it will not reach $85 like some say, but if it does, we'll be in a recession that we can't charge our way out of.......
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 PM

We could get really technical and say adjusted for inflation, we're not even at a historical high. But in lay terms, things are expensive.
If you adjusted inflation, gas in the 70's was well over $3 a gallon in todays money. So we havent exactly reached that level yet.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
Yeah, me too. On gerritsen Ave they usually have thr best prices.
I usually only get Mobil but the cheapest gas I can find with a "name" is Hess on Atlantic and Utica.. thats where I filled up the other day at that price.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Here in Southern California, its not uncommon for 91 to be $2.60 !
Old 03-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sbddude
Here in Southern California, its not uncommon for 91 to be $2.60 !
That's about what I paid two days ago..
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
† ErV †

Will you change your octane if you are currently using 92-93 to something lower?
I never will. My car hasn't smelled anything other than 91/93. Previous owner fed it well, so will i.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Chevron in my area is priced at $2.09, 2.19 and 2.29 a gallon today. That's a dime more per gallon in all grades over RaceTrac gas.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:17 PM

Chevron in my area is priced at $2.09, 2.19 and 2.29 a gallon today. That's a dime more per gallon in all grades over RaceTrac gas.
Isn't that interesting how each grade is 10 cents more than its next lower one? Completely artificial and all marketing/psychology. The retailers got that suggestion in their franchisee "gouge-pak."

Super is only 9.6% more than regular. You'd think they'd run out at that cheap-level, but no, they've got the marketing down, to incl. elasticity of demand. Back in the old days, they could get the same 20 cents extra for super which was 18% more than regular 87.

It's great to have a German car nowadays (I don't....YET!) when Super is so cheap.........
Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Isn't that interesting how each grade is 10 cents more than its next lower one? Completely artificial and all marketing/psychology. The retailers got that suggestion in their franchisee "gouge-pak."

Super is only 9.6% more than regular. You'd think they'd run out at that cheap-level, but no, they've got the marketing down, to incl. elasticity of demand. Back in the old days, they could get the same 20 cents extra for super which was 18% more than regular 87.

It's great to have a German car nowadays (I don't....YET!) when Super is so cheap.........
That marketing scheme is brillant. They know that we the consumer will still buy their gas anyway.

*Edit*
Looks like Chevron broke with that 10 cents between grades rule. I paid $2.25 a gallon for 93 while 89 is $2.19. Sometimes Shell charges 12 cents a gallon more for preimum.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

spent $2.09 a gallon for 93 today. cost me $26.50 to fill the tank. my max usually takes between $24-$30 to fill. thats from a little more than a 1/4 of a tank.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM

That's funny RaceTrack is usually a bit more cheaper....
I have a question in regards to companies of gas... such as Texaco,Chevron, Shell, and Mobile... do any of these gas company differ? Other than prices and Octane grades.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM
is invisible

Wow, I'm learing lots from this thread.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Kevlo for President

That's funny RaceTrack is usually a bit more cheaper....
I have a question in regards to companies of gas... such as Texaco,Chevron, Shell, and Mobile... do any of these gas company differ? Other than prices and Octane grades.
Texaco/Chevron = same gas
BP/Amoco = same gas

Others, peolple add to the list...
Old 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Exxon/Mobile
Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 PM

It's Mobil (no "e" at the end)
Different companies put in different additives
Old 03-13-2005, 06:49 PM

What is the price of gas gonna be by The summer? 2.50.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
What is the price of gas gonna be by The summer? 2.50.
2.30 fopr premium no, i say like 275 by summer.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:40 AM

Shell raised the prices to $2.07, 2.17 and 2.29 over the weekend.For some reason they like that 12 cents difference between mid grade and premium.

Quick Reply: Gas prices on the rise again