General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

need clutch solutions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need clutch solutions

I went to the track this past weekend and got some frustrating results. Well I recently got my MEVI extrude honed and then I put in a stainless steel clutch line. Well after putting in the stainless steel clutch line my clutch seemed to start slipping if I drove the car hard. Well at the track, everytime I would shift from 1st to 2nd gear the clutch would slip. So instead of it just grabbing it slips down until it grabs which is wasting some time. I'm running 15.4's but I think I would be down to 15.3's with my EH'd MEVI if my clutch wouldn't slip. So I'm really frustrated
My track is at 4000' elevation mind you, otherwise I'd be easily into the 14's if I was close to sea level. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just had my clutch replaced last year with an OEM clutch (and it wasn't a key value clutch either). Anyway does anyone have a suggestion for my slipping clutch besides replacing it? I've bled it a hundred times and it still doesn't seem to work.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 AM

What is a key value clutch? I am looking for a new clutch replacement and after all the pros and cons of all the other clutches (ACT,Spec,Clutchmaster...) I decided I might as well go with the OEM like you did and I dont want to get shafted at the stealership either.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Now I'm really surprised here on this... I have a Nopi Gravity series in mine... and have no problem with slipping. And I can't stand Nopi, a few purchases gone wrong. The pressure plate is also stiff. The only con I have, is if you try riding it, or do a slow engagement, at a certain point it'll just snap over. I think my slave or master cylinder is going. There's been a couple of times when driving that the clutch will stick to the floor. So that might be that problem.

As for getting it not to slip... replace is about the only way. You can bleed the line, but it all ends up on the pressure plate and clutch disc holding.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maseo77
What is a key value clutch? I am looking for a new clutch replacement and after all the pros and cons of all the other clutches (ACT,Spec,Clutchmaster...) I decided I might as well go with the OEM like you did and I dont want to get shafted at the stealership either.

Nissan sells OEM clutches but it also sells crappy OEM clutches that are cheaper in price. When you order your clutch make sure it is not their Key Value clutch because it wears out faster. The regular OEM clutch is more expensive but it is much better.

Anyway I think the problem was that I just needed to let my tranny cool down. On my 2nd run of the day I burnt the clutch all the way through 2nd gear. I so I think everything was too hot. I tried the hard shift from 1st to 2nd today and everything worked fine. I should've let my car sit for like an hour before going out and racing again. Oh well. I think I'm going again this weekend so we'll see if that really was the problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by hacim105
Nissan sells OEM clutches but it also sells crappy OEM clutches that are cheaper in price. When you order your clutch make sure it is not their Key Value clutch because it wears out faster. The regular OEM clutch is more expensive but it is much better.

Anyway I think the problem was that I just needed to let my tranny cool down. On my 2nd run of the day I burnt the clutch all the way through 2nd gear. I so I think everything was too hot. I tried the hard shift from 1st to 2nd today and everything worked fine. I should've let my car sit for like an hour before going out and racing again. Oh well. I think I'm going again this weekend so we'll see if that really was the problem.
thanks for the info