General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 06:39 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by $tillenmax2k
Except the new cars will be more comfortable, quieter, and look nicer. IMO, stripping it down is not an acceptable way of "keeping up" with modern cars.
i agree. people strip their cars down to nothing, go to the track and run high 12s, low 13s and think they acomplished something....pretty stupid.
Old 05-03-2005 | 07:14 PM

yeah i lost interest in modding the car.

but then i go and spend over $2000 on rc car shiet that just sits in the garage now.
i think the car is a better deal.
Old 05-03-2005 | 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by $tillenmax2k
Except the new cars will be more comfortable, quieter, and look nicer. IMO, stripping it down is not an acceptable way of "keeping up" with modern cars.
Who talks of stripping down? You must confuse me with krismax and japmax. My car has full interior, PS, ABS... VQ35 weights less than the VQ30, exhaust system is lighter, AC is out, wheels... stuff like that. It rides nice and quiet, no rattles.

The 4th gen maxima is already light in stock form (29xx pounds in my trim), where the recent movement is of newer cars getting bigger and heavier. The 6th gen max is 500 pounds havier than the 4th gen, Sentras are much bigger, ect... Power to Weight is a definite advantage of the 4th gen.

"Look nicer" is up to taste. I find the majority of newer cars ugly. There is a movement towards bigger cars, boats, ugly "futuristic" dashes, one piece window archs, and new squarer dash designs, and I don't like it.

Comfier and quieter is also BS if you ask me. Not for the same price range. (4th gens could be had for 19k new). Plenty of cars will be comfier and quieter, but in order to combine all the elements (comfort, acceleration, gas mileage), I would need to spend some serious $$$

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
i agree. people strip their cars down to nothing, go to the track and run high 12s, low 13s and think they acomplished something....pretty stupid.
Once again, the weight taken out is 100 pounds or so, since the max is already light, and that reduction comes from the exhaust system, the wheels, the AC (which I didn't want to fix) and the VQ35 which is lighter than the VQ30.

Nothing at all sacrifies the comfort and removing weight in the front and adding some in the rear gives better weight distribution, which is good for handling.
Old 05-03-2005 | 08:19 PM
Go Get a Life!

I would like to clear some misconceptions I'm not striping my car to bare bones I'm only taken out whats not necessary to me. I'm also using all of my interior and my weight is at 2740lbs. I think that's one hell of an accomplishment if you ask me, you can open the doors look inside and outside and there isn't a hint of weight being reduced, which is what I was looking for and ontop of that I got the 3.5 inside.

Oh and to answer the question HELL NO!!!!!!! Not untill I get my 07' GTR
Old 05-03-2005 | 08:27 PM

hell no modding is my purpose in life!
Old 05-03-2005 | 09:09 PM
The original VQ...

after i pay each cradit car bill, i say to myself no mre moddin, but then a nice GD comes up or someone posts something new they got and it want it.

Its addicting.

I drove a IS and i swear it was the size of a sentra inside?
Old 05-03-2005 | 09:16 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
I never had any motivation to mod my Max. I like it the way it came from the factory.

really? then whats with the clear corners? thats a mod. lol. just meesing with you. i just see mods as improvments to the car. there is soo much you can do to a stock car that will make it a better car. I cant drive stock cars.
Old 05-03-2005 | 09:29 PM

As time goes on i've been torn to turn my head away from my maxima. Maintainance has been more of an issue to keep this car like new. I've got 19s and when a tire bust or gets flat, i've been torn between just leaving them off or just putting on my 15s on again.

Personally I think once you accomplish what you want to do to your maxima there is no more drive to do anything else. I'm now just saving up for a new car (S4).
Old 05-03-2005 | 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I drove a IS and i swear it was the size of a sentra inside?
Thats the truth, the car is so cramped that it makes a 4th gen maxima look big.. The rear seats on that car if you are above 6'1" good luck because you will have to sit sideways to keep your head off the roof.
Old 05-03-2005 | 10:18 PM
THT
Throbbing member

I haven't gotten tired of it yet nor do I think I ever will. Sure, I'll grow out of the Maxima but I think my modding will continue at some level with each succeeding car.
Old 05-04-2005 | 01:14 AM
GrandPa

I never had any motivation to mod my Max. I like it the way it came from the factory.

Lets see here. Bra and mirror bra, lights and Maxima AE door plates. You started and might not finish. you ride is looking good and I also signed your guest book. Later Warren

Old 05-04-2005 | 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jdmmax
yeah i lost interest in modding the car.

but then i go and spend over $2000 on rc car shiet that just sits in the garage now.
i think the car is a better deal.
Man I did the same thing. I dropped like a grand on a new monster truck kit and I played with it a few times. Now it sits in the corner of my living room collecting dust. Looking back, I wish I had spent that replacing my ailing BOSE system. Oh well.
Old 05-04-2005 | 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Lets see here. Bra and mirror bra, lights and Maxima AE door plates. You started and might not finish. you ride is looking good and I also signed your guest book. Later Warren

Okay, you can count those little things. Thanks, your Max is tight as well.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:04 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I walked every IS i raced, unless boosted i think they suck, why did your sell your max and think a slower car was more of a sports car?
Everything was civil until you had to say this^^^.

If you think he's bragging about his car, you are apparantly insecure about yours.

If you think a true sports car is one with FWD and log-beam rear suspension, you don't have a clue.

If you think 1/4 mile times/speed are the only determining factor for sports car status, you don't have a clue.

Old 05-04-2005 | 09:06 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by JClaw
People who have sold their maximas somehow always feel the need to rub it in our faces and go on about how their new/better car outhandles/pwns their previous max and say stuff like "bigger and better" and implying that we're all stuck driving POS while he/she has gone up and moved to the "next level" with something "better" and "haven't looked back" and it smells new and they can't stop poking the soft dashboard blah blah blah

Quit being jerks about your new purchase and go brag somewhere else.

Considering that everyone is bashing the IS, how can it be better?
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:11 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I think it depends on what your definition of a sports car is. If it's raw power, than yea, the Maxima may have the edge over an IS. But have you ever driven an IS? Those things handle a billion times better than a Maxima. I agree it's a little underpowered, but combine it with the handling characteristics and I think it's more of a "sports car" than a Maxima could ever be. Just my $.02

Old 05-04-2005 | 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Everything was civil until you had to say this^^^.

If you think he's bragging about his car, you are apparantly insecure about yours.

If you think a true sports car is one with FWD and log-beam rear suspension, you don't have a clue.

If you think 1/4 mile times/speed are the only determining factor for sports car status, you don't have a clue.

Thank you for backing me up. You seem to know where im coming from, im not bragging about my car; its not much to brag about. Ive been on this website for a while, ive always been modest and polite, and dont seem to have problems with people. But when you simply attack me and basically tell me that I spent $23000 on a car that sucks since it can get beat by modded 4th gens, I had to give my 2 cents.

I dont want anyone to think Im calling the Maxima a POS; im not, if I truly thought the Maxima was a piece of ****, I would not have bought one and dumped all kinds of money into it to mod it. I once loved my Maxima and couldnt wait to spend more money on it, but eventually that died away and I wanted something different (hence the point of this thread).

Yes, the IS is a small car, it is similar to the size of a Sentra. This is true. It does not suck though.

I must also point out that I do miss my Maxima and whenever I see pictures of it on my computer I wish I still had it, it was a great looking car and a blast to drive with the full suspension mods I had done (D2 coilovers, RSB, FTSB).
Old 05-04-2005 | 07:10 PM

I'm with Zero Deuce SE. I joined the .org a year ago and the only mod I had at the time was a plastic sunroof deflector. Since then I've added an FSTB, a Budget stainless steel y-pipe and a K&N panel filter. Once I buy new tires, I plan on getting an RSB.

I don't think that clear corners look particularly good with my Black Emerald paint and I'm not into lowering the car or putting on bigger wheels.

I'll stay with my 15" sawblades and 4x4 look. I get excellent gas mileage and my car is fast and only has 58K on it.

Old 05-05-2005 | 03:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

dont lose intrest .. just takes money and motivation .. more of the former than the latter.. neither of which i seem to posses right now
Old 05-06-2005 | 10:07 AM
will fly for food

im completely bored with modding... with the crappy roads around here im also tired of riding so low, i'm saving up for a down payment on a pathfinder, then I'll be putting money towards my flying...
Old 05-06-2005 | 10:47 AM

I'm still a Maxima no0b .. just bought one a few days ago as a daily driver. I doubt I'll be modding the Max that much, since it's primary role is to be reliable.

My other car IS modded, and yeah I got tired of it after a while. I bought a n2o kit last summer, but never got around to installing it. Then I wanted to install it, but determined I'm going to rebuild the engine first. I need to get a rebuild kit, but before that, I need brakes, struts, a ball joint and some other stuff done. So in order to do any more performance mods, I need to do some 'boring' stuff first. So I get discouraged because I want to dump money into toys and mods, but first gotta dump money into safety stuff. In the meantime, I still gotta pay bills and normal living expenses. So it seems like I'll never get around to modding, which doesn't make it seem that exciting anymore.
Old 05-06-2005 | 04:20 PM

I never will get bored of it.
Old 05-06-2005 | 06:29 PM
Jacked Up off MountainDew

ive had my 97 max for 4 years...done a lot of ****, not enough because i simply choose to spend money on other things. its not the world...it was when i first got it, but when i first had it, i had money to maintain and have a car, but not actually mod it...i was 17. in brooklyn every and everybody has a maxima now...its not the same as when i first got mines. a lot of things arent unique anymore. i enjoy my drive, but maintenance kills my mood now. i have a lip thats been sitting in my basement since last summer simply cuz i dont feel like paying to have it painted. have the money...just not for that. if i had an endless amount of money i would mod everyday and whatever i didnt do i would have paid for....

what i would like
sarona rear and stillen sides....front scissor doors, rear suicide...supercharged...350z front seats with infinitti i30 rears covered in custom creme leather wit black piping and suede middles. h.i.d.'s and then i'd be completely fine. no point in anything more ...i already have the essentials of modding....oh yea...cattman headers...underdrive pulley needed...

but ****...look at my list...thats what, around 8,000-10,000 more for a car a lot of people have...can be stolen at any second. araffio was my idol and when he was robbed at gun point...ah man, whats the point.

im gettin the 2007 Supercharged Range Rover...wont be ready for the 2006 edition this summer. thats where the money will go...class and speed...but i will keep the max forever...if i can make it a show car and dump tons of money on it later on i will.....because i will make new mods...until then, no time, waste of money...imo

its an option of having little money ..so its a waste...and if i had nuff money...no prob