General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th to 5th Gen Intake Manifold Swap Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The purple is just T'd to the line to the left, which both go to the resonator box off the intake.

The third T's off to the "Swirl control valve control vacuum check switch" by the drivers' side shock tower and the "Swirl control valve actuator" on the passenger side of the engine by the fuel rail crossover.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
The purple is just T'd to the line to the left, which both go to the resonator box off the intake.

The third T's off to the "Swirl control valve control vacuum check switch" by the drivers' side shock tower and the "Swirl control valve actuator" on the passenger side of the engine by the fuel rail crossover.
The hose circled in orange is the only one i have , can this be capped or do i hook this to the intake manifold? thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 07:03 AM

It seems to me, that you'd be best to copy whatever FED specs do, so that's all that is required since FEDs don't have a swirl valve.

I wish I had a FED-spec to make sure though.

Any other holdups? What's an ETA on trying this thing?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Father of the 00 VI

It seems to me, that you'd be best to copy whatever FED specs do, so that's all that is required since FEDs don't have a swirl valve.

I wish I had a FED-spec to make sure though.

Any other holdups? What's an ETA on trying this thing?
The nipple above where the two wires are ,where should i hook the hose from that to what?

The holdup now is all the stuff i ordered from courtesy nissan a month ago still is not here. 2000 gaskets ,egr tube , manifold bolts, injector harneses and such. My hoses from hose techniques will be here on or around march 17. I have my VIAS now with the 2000 manifold modified the way i need it to be. For instance the brake fitting on the 96 manifold screws out and i threaded it into the spot on the 2000 manifold that has a post sticking out where the TB goes on. This is for somthing on the 96 manifold. Also have my summit rpm switch.
I need a few nuts and bolts and the throttle cable bracket and with the stuff above I should be ready to go.

Im dieing to get this on I have a roll race planned with a evo 8 from 15mph to around 130-140 that will be taped by a chase car a STI in front.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 AM

The ORANGE circle aboves nipple should go to the intake tract. I'd go to one of the vacuum fitings on a resonator box vs. directly to the midpipe, if you still have the stock intake.

Anywhere on the intake/airbox should be good though.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
Where the purple is circled above , that spot does not exist on my control box. And if you look at the picture, on the far right not circled on the vias box. There is a third hose I dont have that either just a cap. I just have the vias fresh air nipple do I put vacumm to that?

How's the rx-7 project going?
The vaccume for the VIAS somes through internal pathways. There is a cavaty inside the Upper intake that is the vacume chamber which feeds the VIAS solenoid and then the VIAS acutator (atleast from what I have read and saw from inspecting the parts).

Like already said just hook fresh air hose to somewhere on the intake between the TB and the AFM.

The Rx-7 project is moving along. Slowly as always. I don't get much time to work on it. However, I Have the bulk of the cooling system hooked up and ran the engine for 15-20 min (until the coolant heated up). Still no exhaust =) I had the Laptop attached to the engine to watch all the temps etc. Everything ran nice. My front crank sensor is throwing a code though. I'll have to check that.

Still lots to do before I get a ride. I have clutch and shifter issues and I have to get a custom drive shaft.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Thaniel
The vaccume for the VIAS somes through internal pathways. There is a cavaty inside the Upper intake that is the vacume chamber which feeds the VIAS solenoid and then the VIAS acutator (atleast from what I have read and saw from inspecting the parts).

Like already said just hook fresh air hose to somewhere on the intake between the TB and the AFM.

The Rx-7 project is moving along. Slowly as always. I don't get much time to work on it. However, I Have the bulk of the cooling system hooked up and ran the engine for 15-20 min (until the coolant heated up). Still no exhaust =) I had the Laptop attached to the engine to watch all the temps etc. Everything ran nice. My front crank sensor is throwing a code though. I'll have to check that.

Still lots to do before I get a ride. I have clutch and shifter issues and I have to get a custom drive shaft.
Thanks for the info everyone.
I have a vacumm nipple capped that was used on the pathfinder. I'll uncap it and hook the fresh air hose to that.

Well I forgot to mention that I finished porting the 2000 manifold and reinforced it with generator resin . I wish i had a digi cam so i could show the type of bit I used it was perfect. I think the 2000 manifold could be ported to 75mm believe it or not, i got between 69-71mm in different spots the 4th gen manifold could not go that far. I put the resin around the neck to reinforce it because the pathy TB and the aluminum adaptor block will hang of it . I did it for my own piece of mind.
Im still waiting for stuff from courtesy ,they charged me but still no stuff . I'll have to call on monday. They said the stuff is special order.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 AM

Well I forgot to mention that I finished porting the 2000 manifold and reinforced it with generator resin .
Tell me more about the "generator Resin". Did it adhere really well, Why'd you choose it. Would you recommend if so what exactly is it so I can buy some. I am considering doing some mods to my intake which may include cutting and reglueing some areas.

Oh, that VIAS line needs to go to fresh air (atmospheric).

Thaniel
Old 03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Well The courtesy nissan stuff will be here on friday ,some of the stuff i ordered was special items.
I decided Im not going to use the 2000 lower manifold .Im going to stick with my 96 manifold and have it modified. So if someone wants to do this they could buy the 2000 lower off me thats modified the butterfly plates are removed and holes welded up . the manifold was polished also inside. Also you would get the 6 2000 injectors with fuel rail and the rail has a fitting tig welded on where the 2000 fuel dampener was, so the 95-99 fuel hose can just slide on.Also the injector harnesses come with it so they could be wired up to a forth gen they cost me $110 alone. This would give your 4th gen 295 cc injectors.
The reason for doing this is simple because its free for me to get my stock modified for use and then I dont have to worry about splicing wires and the such.
But Im hoping this manifold will be on in about 2-3 weeks . I've waited since feb 6 from my stuff from courtesy
Old 04-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Wellmy stuff from courtesy finally came but they forgot the long bolts that hold the plunum to the lower manifold .Its not going to be fun trying to find these. If anyone has extra from a project or what not .I'll buy for $35 shipped.

One good thing is it appears that the 2000 small EGR tube will bolt right on and the temp sensor will screw right on . I'am very happy about this.

And one last thing this may help you 2001-2001 max owners. There is a thing I just got from courtesy its called a intake adapter i think. It has a face that bolts where the TB goes on and then a slide like thing that goes inside the plunum. This looks really restrictive ,the biggest the opening gets is 55mm . the air really has to sqeeze thru this. Has any one dynoed with or without it? Im not going to use it the pathfinder TB is 70mm with this plate if I put it on it would reduce it to a 55mm. A geo metro probably does not have such a small sqeeze
Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 PM

Hmmnnn...I'll have to look into that tonight.

And one last thing this may help you 2001-2001 max owners. There is a thing I just got from courtesy its called a intake adapter i think. It has a face that bolts where the TB goes on and then a slide like thing that goes inside the plunum. This looks really restrictive ,the biggest the opening gets is 55mm . the air really has to sqeeze thru this. Has any one dynoed with or without it? Im not going to use it the pathfinder TB is 70mm with this plate if I put it on it would reduce it to a 55mm. A geo metro probably does not have such a small sqeeze
Old 04-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmnnn...I'll have to look into that tonight.
That is very interesting . .. . let me know what you find out.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 PM

I have Dixits' FED intake manifold sitting in my living room, hopefully I can see what he's talking about.

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
That is very interesting . .. . let me know what you find out.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I have Dixits' FED intake manifold sitting in my living room, hopefully I can see what he's talking about.
It bolts between the TB and plenum, when the junkyards sent me the manifolds they didnt include that part.

You never unbolted the TB? Its called adapter-intake.I think this is the part # 14040-2y900

You wouldn't see anything different if it was not bolted on there, it would bolt on with the same bolts as your TB.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:48 PM

Manifold and throttle-body are still together, so I'd assume it's still there.

No, I haven't taken a -K manifold/TB apart *YET*.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Manifold and throttle-body are still together, so I'd assume it's still there.

No, I haven't taken a -K manifold/TB apart *YET*.
Do you think that dixit has the bolts for the other manifold, the dealer told me some of those bolts can't be gotten anymore . like the two bolts that hold the egr pipe to the manifold.thanks

I dont want to beat a dead horse but as far as you know ,do you believe my ecu would interact fine with the 2000 injectors? I have the 2000 harnesses now . I could probably in about a month get the 96 modified to work . What would you do? thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Krismax:

Why did you give up on the 2000 manifold and what exactly are you doing to your 96 manifold?

Dave
Old 04-01-2004, 08:28 PM

Do you think that dixit has the bolts for the other manifold, the dealer told me some of those bolts can't be gotten anymore . like the two bolts that hold the egr pipe to the manifold.thanks
He has the whole engine, so I'm sure he does.

I dont want to beat a dead horse but as far as you know ,do you believe my ecu would interact fine with the 2000 injectors? I have the 2000 harnesses now . I could probably in about a month get the 96 modified to work . What would you do? thanks
Yes. 4th gen injectors are low impedance Peak&Hold type, at least the 300Z TT ones are, while the 2K+ are high impedance saturation type. You can use saturation type injectors in a P&H systems according to Russ Collins article here:
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonict...rs/RCtech.html.

If you read through the article, 4th gen P&H type are better then saturation type, however 2K+ injectors are 290cc vs. 4th gen 240cc-260cc to give you a little more fuel. P&H are faster responding and more stable under high pressure(75-100+PSI), so IF possible I'd use 300Z TT ones depending on your ultimate plans.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:29 PM

RE-read the thread Dave.

Originally Posted by Dave B
Krismax:

Why did you give up on the 2000 manifold and what exactly are you doing to your 96 manifold?

Dave
Old 04-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Dave B
Krismax:

Dave
Actually the 2000 manifold is all figured out and I have everything exept a few simple things like the bolts that hold the egr on to the manifold and the bolts that hold the plenum to the lower manifold. I'll probably order these from a supplier today if dixit does not have them.

Ok with the 96 and 2000 lower manifolds ,the bolt pattern and size are different on the 2000 . What I'm thinking about doing is welding and machining the 96 lower so the 2000 upper will bolt right on. I have the stuff already to just put the 2000 injectors but I dont know if I should go with 96 or 2000 injectors. Im worried that at high rpm (7500-8000) the 2000 injectors wont keep up. If I knew they would have no problem then I'll just slap them on and get the benifit of more cc's.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:00 AM

If you're worried about open/close time not being as fast as the P&H type, I'd say that's not a problem.

VQ35s run the same injectors(slightly less flow) at more fuel pressure(3.5bar) up to 7200rpm. Because of our slower piston speed(shorter stroke) that's equivalent to a VQ30 at 8000rpm.

No worries there.

I dont know if I should go with 96 or 2000 injectors. Im worried that at high rpm (7500-8000) the 2000 injectors wont keep up. If I knew they would have no problem then I'll just slap them on and get the benifit of more cc's.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:09 AM

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I just read all 8 pages and must know, any news?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:39 AM

MEVI or 2000 maxima intake?

In looking at my 2000 maxima intake it seems to me that it functions just the same as the MEVI intake. Are the any big advantages to the 2000 intake over the MEVI?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 AM

You might read through this:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....44#post2960744

Originally Posted by Thaniel
In looking at my 2000 maxima intake it seems to me that it functions just the same as the MEVI intake. Are the any big advantages to the 2000 intake over the MEVI?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well boys I have a motor and tranny out of a 5 gen and I was thinking of doing a total motor swap but if it is all in the runner that is easier I live across form a Nissan mechanic and I will see what he thinks. I have all the part motor, wiring, ECU. I do drive my car every day so I will fine out what he thinks for a time frame. I will try to let you know what he thinks and how it is going.

Sorry i mist 2 pages of the thread...
Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Beast Mode!!!

OK, so it works...is there a DIY or some kind of cliff notes with all the issues that have to be dealt with? And did anyone get the G35 manifold to work on the VQ30? This is pretty cool...