General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

"Wheelskins," any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:23 PM

"Wheelskins," any good?

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bra...itemid=3560098

My 97's wheel's "leather" is starting to get pretty faded in places. I'm a real sucker for perforated leather. Is this something that I would want, or something on par with fuzzy dice and sheepskin seat covers? Anyone have one?

I remember there being a GB or two on leather interior pieces also, I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
is craving Bojangles

yeah i love my wheelskins, its very high quality. check out this old wheelskins thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&page=1&pp=30

and heres a thread with a write up i made after i got my cover
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=373670

Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bra...itemid=3560098

My 97's wheel's "leather" is starting to get pretty faded in places. I'm a real sucker for perforated leather. Is this something that I would want, or something on par with fuzzy dice and sheepskin seat covers? Anyone have one?

I remember there being a GB or two on leather interior pieces also, I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for any input.

what do you mean 'is this something I would want'? can't you decide for yourself? you're the one who is driving your car...

as long as you get something that is genuine leather, the softer the better, then you're fine. perforated if you want, but i think that if your seats aren't perforated, (assuming you have leather), then any other leather should match.

just my .02
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
what do you mean 'is this something I would want'? can't you decide for yourself? you're the one who is driving your car...

as long as you get something that is genuine leather, the softer the better, then you're fine. perforated if you want, but i think that if your seats aren't perforated, (assuming you have leather), then any other leather should match.

just my .02

hes asking is this a quality product that is worth buying... duh...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I Broke OT

^^^I read it that he was asking us if he should like perforated leather or not.

How does comparing it to fuzzy dice and sheepskin seat covers have anything to do with quality? I'm pretty sure he was trying to find out if perf. leather is 'in style' or something.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM

is it me or is there no sizes button, to see if they have one precut for my 5th gen? i saw the other thread where it said to get a size c or w/e, but i want to double check.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM

I bought one for my 3rd gen, and except for the old cover peeking out at the spokes, it looks just like a factory cover. It fit perfectly and made the steering wheel thicker and more "grippable". I can even smell the leather on my hands after I'm done driving.

During installation, the only things you need to take care of are pulling all the stitches tight and keeping the thread free of tangles. Do that and it will come out perfect.

Here's a pic - crappy, but will give you an idea of what the cover looks like:

About the sizes - the wheelskins site will tell you which size you need for your car.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by es_amixam

nice socks and sandles!!

jj, but the cover looks nice. could you have just removed the stock cover so that it wouldn't show through?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:24 PM

I was asking if it was a quality product, or if it was just a cheesy gimmick, such as sheepskin seat covers or fuzzy dice... basically if it would look/feel weird/cheap.

And I'd get the perforated leather no matter what any of you clowns said.

Thanks for the help people, I should be getting one soon.

P.S. it appears that my '97 wheel actually has perforated "leather" as well, but it's really wearing out. Did any of the '97+ steering wheels come with perforated leather, or was this some sort of rewrap done by one of the previous owners? (I wouldn't be surprised, actually, since he did get an aftermarket leather shift boot)

Originally Posted by es_amixam
I bought one for my 3rd gen, and except for the old cover peeking out at the spokes, it looks just like a factory cover. It fit perfectly and made the steering wheel thicker and more "grippable". I can even smell the leather on my hands after I'm done driving.

During installation, the only things you need to take care of are pulling all the stitches tight and keeping the thread free of tangles. Do that and it will come out perfect.

Here's a pic - crappy, but will give you an idea of what the cover looks like:

About the sizes - the wheelskins site will tell you which size you need for your car.
Thanks... and that is actually pretty damn sexy.

EDIT: I see people saying that the old leather should be cut off of your wheel before you put these on. Does anyone have pictures of this? Seems like it wouldn't look too great unless you left the pieces that covered the spokes.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 PM

I had one on my 96 but, I took it out. it was solft black leather and it was real real tight on the steering wheel. right now I wish i should of kept it cause my hands slides off.

but im getting a new streering wheel soon
Old 12-06-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
nice socks and sandles!!

jj, but the cover looks nice. could you have just removed the stock cover so that it wouldn't show through?
Yeah, I hate wearing shoes.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Thanks... and that is actually pretty damn sexy.
Thanks for the compliments bro - whether about the steering cover or the sandals+socks.

About cutting the stock cover off - it had completely worn off at one place(my cardomain has the pic), and whatever was underneath was a hideous brown color.

OT - 86maxima96, I think I saw your car this summer in Missoula. Lowered, stock sawblades, clear corners, and ski rack. Was that you?