General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help me with my supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 08:28 AM
vapors smx

For those who have changed out there pulley, I am about to undertake the same thing. I am going from a 3.6 to a 3.48. The question I have is that do I need to get a smaller belt for the sc or can I use the existing belt and just increase the tension. I know several of you including drew and such have changed out there pulleys. Can you guys give me a heads up? Thanks

Old 10-13-2000, 08:36 AM

If you are going one size down you can use the same belt.

Originally the belt Stillen used was a Gates 060695 belt but I was told they later changed it to a 060696 which is one size larger. Good luck those allen head bolts that hold the blower to the bracket are a big PITA to take off they have locktite on them.

Originally posted by vapors smx
For those who have changed out there pulley, I am about to undertake the same thing. I am going from a 3.6 to a 3.48. The question I have is that do I need to get a smaller belt for the sc or can I use the existing belt and just increase the tension. I know several of you including drew and such have changed out there pulleys. Can you guys give me a heads up? Thanks
[Edited by DavidL7 on 10-13-2000 at 12:00 PM]
Old 10-13-2000, 08:44 AM
vapors smx

Re: If you are going one size down you can use the same belt.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the help. Its been a long time since I have been on this page. My wife usually posts. How are things going in the max community?

Originally posted by DavidL7
Originally the belt Stillen used was a Gates 060695 belt but I was told they later changed it to a 060696 which is one size larger. Good luck those allen head bolts that hold the blower to the bracker are a big PITA to take off they have locktite on them.

Old 10-13-2000, 08:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by DavidL7
Originally the belt Stillen used was a Gates 060695 belt but I was told they later changed it to a 060696 which is one size larger. Good luck those allen head bolts that hold the blower to the bracker are a big PITA to take off they have locktite on them.

yeah those small *** 10mm bolts that go to the plate are a HUGE PITA..you have to go without i think 1 or two of them because the pulley is at a different distance and the space is tighter...(smaller pulley) the small 10mm bolt that should be taken out is the one closest to the pulley.
ask drew..he left the bolt in and his pulley is grinding everytime he turns on the car...not a pretty sight.
the big a$$ allen bolts are tight as hell...plenty of grease and impact wrench helps a lot there.
the belt tensior is a another HUGE PITA to get at...try to a few different sockets extensions and combinations to get to it. when you tighten the belt the socket is very difficult to pull out of the tensioner...get some long long needle nose pliers and start pulling.
also make sure you have the right size belt on...if not then your going need to pull off the assembly to fit the correct belt on there again..you won't know if it's right until u bolt up almost everything to find out.
this is speaking from experience..right Dave?
good luck
Dan
Old 10-13-2000, 10:06 AM

Re: Re: If you are going one size down you can use the same belt.

Yeah I haven't seen you here in a while someone said you had moved. Surprisingly there's not that much bickering anyone everyone pretty much gets along like the old days.

BTW Dan knows from experience when he talks about the S/C he worked on mine and had one heck of a time doing it. Also since you are changing the pulley might as well put a new belt in there cuz to change belts you have to take the whole thing apart again.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vapors smx
[I]Hey Dave,

Thanks for the help. Its been a long time since I have been on this page. My wife usually posts. How are things going in the max community?
Old 10-13-2000, 10:14 AM
vapors smx

Re: Re: Re: If you are going one size down you can use the same belt.

Yeah, we just moved to Phoenix Arizona. It is so much better then Albuquerque NM. My company transferred me and we are finally getting back into the swing of things. We will be seeing you guys more often around here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidL7
[I]Yeah I haven't seen you here in a while someone said you had moved. Surprisingly there's not that much bickering anyone everyone pretty much gets along like the old days.

BTW Dan knows from experience when he talks about the S/C he worked on mine and had one heck of a time doing it. Also since you are changing the pulley might as well put a new belt in there cuz to change belts you have to take the whole thing apart again.

Hey Dave,

Old 10-13-2000, 10:56 AM

Great!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vapors smx
[I]Yeah, we just moved to Phoenix Arizona. It is so much better then Albuquerque NM. My company transferred me and we are finally getting back into the swing of things. We will be seeing you guys more often around here!
Old 10-13-2000, 01:31 PM

Nice to hear from you Vapors, Don't know anything about

the S/C question but It's good to see that you are going with a smaller pulley.
SMARTAZZ
Old 10-13-2000, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Phoenix

Hey Vapors,

How are you and your wife? I'm glad to find that you moved to Phoenix. My wife and I will be flying to CA 6/11 to pick up my car at JWT and we'll be stopping in Phoenix around the 12th.
Let me know if you'll be in town.

Regards, Ron (I30KRAB)
Old 10-13-2000, 01:51 PM
vapors smx

hey Ron

Good to hear from you too. I will be here and would love to see your machine but we work some weird hours. We will have to find some time. Hope things are going well. Email me when you get closer to your date at vapors9@hotmail.com. I will try to make some time. There is a killer track here that is about 5 miles from my house. You guys will all love this too.....the gas station right down the street sells Trick racing fuel out of a pump, just like any other gasoline. So you could hit the track with us when you come out.