General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Caution: WARNING for PR CAI install!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 06:01 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

WARNING: FAILURE TO ENSURE PROPER CLEARANCE OF THE HOSE CLAMPS MAY CAUSE ACCELERATOR TO BE COME STUCK IN WIDE OPEN POSITION!! BE ADVISED!!!

i just installed the Place racing Cold Air intake in a friend's car, and during a full throttle test, the accelerator was stuck in WOT, and would not stop revving. Luckily it was a 5speed and we shifted to neutral and turned off the key.

the culprit? the hose clamp, closest to the throttle body. the screw head for the hose clamp was on the left side of the upper intake piece and was turned onto its side when we were installing it, and it was close enough to the throttle pulley (that gold pulley that opens the throttle body) that it got caught and stayed OPEN. there is a little piece that usually "stops" the pulley from going past the normal open position and that was what hooked onto the screw head of the hose clamp.

BE ADVISED, this could be potentially dangerous and i hope everyone with the place racing cai make sure the screw head is onthe RIGHT side of the pipe, and not anywhere near the throttle pulley cable..

thank you.. you may now calm down and go along your business.

--Cheston
Old 07-08-2001, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chebosto
WARNING: FAILURE TO ENSURE PROPER CLEARANCE OF THE HOSE CLAMPS MAY CAUSE ACCELERATOR TO BE COME STUCK IN WIDE OPEN POSITION!! BE ADVISED!!!

i just installed the Place racing Cold Air intake in a friend's car, and during a full throttle test, the accelerator was stuck in WOT, and would not stop revving. Luckily it was a 5speed and we shifted to neutral and turned off the key.

the culprit? the hose clamp, closest to the throttle body. the screw head for the hose clamp was on the left side of the upper intake piece and was turned onto its side when we were installing it, and it was close enough to the throttle pulley (that gold pulley that opens the throttle body) that it got caught and stayed OPEN. there is a little piece that usually "stops" the pulley from going past the normal open position and that was what hooked onto the screw head of the hose clamp.

BE ADVISED, this could be potentially dangerous and i hope everyone with the place racing cai make sure the screw head is onthe RIGHT side of the pipe, and not anywhere near the throttle pulley cable..

--Cheston
The same thing happened to me after I uninstalled my/your SC. Luckily I was in the driveway, it still freaked me out though! I thought I broke something at first.
Old 07-08-2001, 06:30 PM
RussMaxManiac

That happened to me once :P

Originally posted by Chebosto

--Cheston

Old 07-08-2001, 07:13 PM

Old 07-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

heheh, only dummies would have missed that....juss kiddin Cheston! The first time i installed a CAI i noticed that right away but i didnt expect anyone to have that prob till now i guess...at least no damage was done...thats good. Later