General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

81mph in a 45mph zone... Anyone know a good lawyer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 08:38 PM
My 4DSC

Well...
Just earlier this week I was in court for a speeding ticket that happened a few months ago...
I got pulled over for going 67 in a 50...
I plea bargained it down to a no-point ticket ($180 fine)...
OK...so I'm loving life at this point...

Fast forward 3 days to today (Monday)...
I'm driving up the Garden State Parkway Northbound...
I pay the toll...take off...and I'm going over the Driscoll Bridge (exit 127)...
I'm keeping up with traffic at about 70mph...
Then I realize I gotta get over cuz my exit for the NJ Turnpike is coming up...
So I hit the gas a little to pass a car and get over...

BAMMMM!!

A few seconds later I see a green, unmarked cop car flashing the lights...
So i get a ticket for doing 81mph in a 45mph zone...
and another for tint...

RECCOMENDATIONS PLEASE!!

Should I get a lawyer or try to sweet talk my way out of this like I did with the last one.

NOTE:
This time I was doing 36mph over the speed limit (not 17).
This time it was a State Trooper (not local).
Traffic was light....Major Highway....Clear Day....
It says on the ticket he was "pacing" me....no radar.
I'm in NJ by the way.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:51 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Adam...

what township was this in. Eventhough it was a trooper court is held in whatever municipality the offence took place in. Basically my mother works for a law office and has done so all my life. I may have some connections i can use. Let me know what twp. and i'll see what i can do as to getting you a contact for an attorney or getting you the one i use if you wish. I may need a copy of the ticket if you're willing. Let me know.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

NOTE:
I'm in NJ by the way.
YOu can talk sweet! IF the troop was pacing you, you could say that you were driving 75mph (for instance), according to your spedometer. If its a State trooper, it might not show up on court and you might get the deal of not having him in the court. You can say that you need to go that fast because all the cars wont let you into the lane where the exit was so oyu had to go way up front to cut into the lane.

IS that mean no more AE for you?
Old 07-16-2001, 09:31 PM
Disco Biscuit

I thought that a ticket couldn't be issued by pacing. That it had to be confirmed with Radar. Am I wrong?
Old 07-16-2001, 09:36 PM

No, they can pace you and give you the ticket. A speeding ticket has to be 'confirmed' by two different methods, with the first always being officer estimation. The second can be any of the following, pacing (with a calibrated speedo), VASCAR, radar or lidar. The pacing rule would apply here.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:41 PM

My 4dsc,

It look like an open and shut case. I would recommend and
if you remember what the trooper look like, go to court
and if he isn't there deny everything. The case will be
dismissed. If he's there deny it anyway. The trooper will
not remember you unless you gave him problems. Just tell
the judge you were going at 15mph over the limit. If the
officer claim he got you with a radar, tell the judge that
the officer didn't let you see the radar gun to prove you
were going at that speed. Hopefully this'll help.

mike

P.S. I've used many of these items and had my friends
speeding tickets dismissed.

Originally posted by My 4DSC
Well...
Just earlier this week I was in court for a speeding ticket that happened a few months ago...
I got pulled over for going 67 in a 50...
I plea bargained it down to a no-point ticket ($180 fine)...
OK...so I'm loving life at this point...

Fast forward 3 days to today (Monday)...
I'm driving up the Garden State Parkway Northbound...
I pay the toll...take off...and I'm going over the Driscoll Bridge (exit 127)...
I'm keeping up with traffic at about 70mph...
Then I realize I gotta get over cuz my exit for the NJ Turnpike is coming up...
So I hit the gas a little to pass a car and get over...

BAMMMM!!

A few seconds later I see a green, unmarked cop car flashing the lights...
So i get a ticket for doing 81mph in a 45mph zone...
and another for tint...

RECCOMENDATIONS PLEASE!!

Should I get a lawyer or try to sweet talk my way out of this like I did with the last one.

NOTE:
I'm in NJ by the way.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:08 PM

How did you sweet talk out of your first one, I got a BS 47 in a 35 and the cop in a camaro was going the other direction, truned on his lights right when he saw me, I mean within 2 second of seeing me coming around a curve (He was driving also going up the street) turned behind me and gave me a ticket. I never get a ticket in my 4dr, but don't even have to do anything wrong when your in a sports car.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Youre gonna thank me for this

http://www.norman-law.com/page12.html

Anton
Old 07-17-2001, 06:09 AM

I used Maria Blancato from Ventura, Meisowitz, etc. in Summit, NJ for my 95 in a 55 ticket. 908-277-2410. She got it down from a 5pt ticket to a 4pt ticket but she's not cheap. It cost me about $600 just for her, plus the cost of the ticket. She's not in the office every day, but she will call you back if you leave a message.

Based on this experience, if you fight this without a lawyer, you'll be screwed. The prosecutor won't want to even talk with you based on your past record and the severity of the offense.

Troopers can ticket you using pacing, it's right on the ticket. Troopers will remember you when you go to court.

Jim
Old 07-17-2001, 07:14 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by JJW95SC
I used Maria Blancato from Ventura, Meisowitz, etc. in Summit, NJ for my 95 in a 55 ticket. 908-277-2410. She got it down from a 5pt ticket to a 4pt ticket but she's not cheap. It cost me about $600 just for her, plus the cost of the ticket. She's not in the office every day, but she will call you back if you leave a message.

Based on this experience, if you fight this without a lawyer, you'll be screwed. The prosecutor won't want to even talk with you based on your past record and the severity of the offense.

Troopers can ticket you using pacing, it's right on the ticket. Troopers will remember you when you go to court.

Jim
YOUCH!!! $600 & she only got 1 point dropped??
Forget that...maybe i'm better off on my own...
I have ZERO POINTS on my driving record...
I'm pretty sure that I will be able to plea bargain again...
Hopefully...

Old 07-17-2001, 08:29 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Agghhhhhh.....this is why a hate living in the US. Nothing is ever your fault. It's always someone else's fault. I'm not trying to pick on anyone in here, but how do you guys really feel about yourselves when you break the law and then get away it in a court of law? If you're gonna break the law, expect to pay if you're caught. If the officer screwed up, then fight it, otherwise be honest and pay up. Judges are usually more understanding.

Honestly, did you know you were in a 45mph zone? Was traffic really going 70mph in a 45mph (sounds little extreme)? If traffic really was going 70mph, then tell the judge. I too move with the flow of traffic because I think going slower than everyone else is actually more dangerous. Tell the judge exactly what happened. Tell him you knew you were speeding, but that you didn't know it was a 45mph (if this is true). Also bring up the fact that "pacing" isn't extremely accurate because speedometer errors between two vehicles could be up to a total of 10mph difference due to worn tires and inaccurate speedometer cables (this is true). Chances are if you admit you were speeding, but not recklessly and you contest the pacing, the judge will knock the ticket down substainally. However, if they keep records of your prior no-ticket violation, the judge may not be very understanding.

81 in a 45 constitutes reckless driving in Kansas and Missouri which carries the same penalties as a DUI.

Dave
Old 07-17-2001, 08:40 AM

I never got a ticket for speeding that much over, but when I got my tickets, my lawyer charged me $100 to take of everything. No need to pay the fines and it won't be on my record. Much better than over $600 fine I had to pay one time. Paid my lawyer $100 and that was that. Stupid me though, if I would just got a radar detector(even a cheapo one), I probably have no tickets at all on my record. The previous tickets I can't do anything about those, I didn't know this lawyer then. With my cheap Cobra radar detector, I have no tickets since. I should be getting my Valentine One real soon too. However, if the cop is pacing you, a radar detector will do no good. Just have to be alert and having a bit of lucky wouldn't hurt either.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Agghhhhhh.....this is why a hate living in the US. Nothing is ever your fault. It's always someone else's fault. I'm not trying to pick on anyone in here, but how do you guys really feel about yourselves when you break the law and then get away it in a court of law? If you're gonna break the law, expect to pay if you're caught. If the officer screwed up, then fight it, otherwise be honest and pay up. Judges are usually more understanding.

Honestly, did you know you were in a 45mph zone? Was traffic really going 70mph in a 45mph (sounds little extreme)? If traffic really was going 70mph, then tell the judge. I too move with the flow of traffic because I think going slower than everyone else is actually more dangerous. Tell the judge exactly what happened. Tell him you knew you were speeding, but that you didn't know it was a 45mph (if this is true). Also bring up the fact that "pacing" isn't extremely accurate because speedometer errors between two vehicles could be up to a total of 10mph difference due to worn tires and inaccurate speedometer cables (this is true). Chances are if you admit you were speeding, but not recklessly and you contest the pacing, the judge will knock the ticket down substainally. However, if they keep records of your prior no-ticket violation, the judge may not be very understanding.

81 in a 45 constitutes reckless driving in Kansas and Missouri which carries the same penalties as a DUI.

Dave

While I agree with you in principle, I disagree with the way you frame this as a moral issue. It is not a moral issue but a legal one. The law allows those accused of breaking the law some recourse within the court system. This is true for the most low-life child rapist-murderer you can think of to the simple absent minded jay-walker.

In my experience, local police and state-troopers care little about violations in terms of right and wrong and more about the specifics of the law in question and their ability and willingness to make a particular charge stick. Don't forget, they have to fill out a bunch of paperwork for every ticket they write. Chances are this is not their favorite part of police work so if they have to do it, they will want to be sure it was worthwhile.

Judges aren't much better. They will see hundreds of cases like this one in a given month and they don't care much about what you have to say, especially if you are a repeat offender as was stated in the original post.

In addition, police-car speedometer's (especially state-trooper vehicles)are calibrated to be exact so your margin for error only applies if the cop's car hadn't been calibrated within a certain time frame as required by law. This would be one thing that a lawyer would check right away, although you do have the right to request and review 'all the discovery' related to your case prior to your court date.

I hope you read this far because I don't want you to misunderstand me. There are several drivers out there that I would like to see strung up by their thumbs (like the guy who cut me off this past Sunday) but the truth is that everyone has the same rights. Those that don't use the court system as it was designed are free to pay up but the time and money I've spent fighting tickets has been well worth it.

Jim
Old 07-17-2001, 10:08 AM
My 4DSC

Honestly, did you know you were in a 45mph zone? YES

Was traffic really going 70mph in a 45mph (sounds little extreme)? YES, this is the Garden State Parkway which is the major highway in NJ...speedlimit is 65mph...the only reason it was 45mph is because I was on a bridge. If I were to do 45mph on this bridge I would cause a serious accident.