General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

hmm... she looks like mine.. but.. not quite..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 05:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm... she looks like mine.. but.. not quite..

http://www.getauto.com/search/car_de...ler_id=AAAX%3B

I'm contacting the dealer just for the heck of it, see if they are interested in a trade in of some sort + financing the difference... but should I do this....
Old 10-09-2001, 05:14 PM

5-speeds rule...

Old 10-09-2001, 05:24 PM

just go there and switch
Old 10-09-2001, 05:33 PM

Well the mileage is the only thing that is a factor because if the mileage was identical, they would surely swap with you. Auto's are a lot easier to move for a dealership. So with the mileage/tranny factor, they might want a grand or so from you.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by NYC GXE
Well the mileage is the only thing that is a factor because if the mileage was identical, they would surely swap with you. Auto's are a lot easier to move for a dealership. So with the mileage/tranny factor, they might want a grand or so from you.

I sent them an email just for kicks. See what they say. Only thing I would actually miss from my car is the sunroof. That GXE is completely optionless. But it's from a dealer, it's lower miles, it's a 5 speed and the interior is grey. I just want to know what they say. I might call them up too. It would sure be less hassle then selling my car and buying one again, having to pay taxes and everything else all over.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:55 PM

You know, I completely forgot you have a sunroof and a power seat. Now I think basically your car is worth exactly the same amount(Because of the mileage difference). I think they would do it for sure unless they are one of those dealerships that only sell cars with less than 40K miles for warranty purposes.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:04 PM

You know, I completely forgot you have a sunroof and a power seat. Now I think basically your car is worth exactly the same amount(Because of the mileage difference). I think they would do it for sure unless they are one of those dealerships that only sell cars with less than 40K miles for warranty purposes.
Well, technically I'm still under the driveterrain 60k mile warranty But I think they will be skeptical of why I'm trying to trade in a virtually identical car but with more options. They'll probably figure there is something wrong with it, although I am positive there isn't and they are more then welcome to check it out themselves. Which they'd probably do regardless. Well, I'll wait for their email, if not I might just call them up.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You just got a new car, why would you wanna trade it???
Old 10-09-2001, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by AndyXXL
You just got a new car, why would you wanna trade it???
its a 5spd
Old 10-09-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
its a 5spd

Old 10-09-2001, 08:32 PM

Then why didn't he think if this before buying a new car?

I too realized that automagics are not that great and fast, but I'm not traing my car for the same one only 5-speed............................................. I'm buying a 02 6-speed one
Old 10-09-2001, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I too realized that automagics are not that great and fast, but I'm not traing my car for the same one only 5-speed............................................. I'm buying a 02 6-speed one
well if the cars are the same year.. he might make out like a bandit and get a even exchange since is car is worth more
Old 10-09-2001, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
well if the cars are the same year.. he might make out like a bandit and get a even exchange since is car is worth more
Oh well, anyway Steve let us know what the dealership will tell you.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:26 PM

Good question man. Trust me, I've thought about it plenty, thinking whether I'd regret buying stick later or not. So I figured I'd go for the 1st good deal I'd get, be it 5spd or auto. Either way, I ran across 2-3 manual cars, 1 was a 99, too much $, loaded 97 too much $$, and i've seen a 5spd GXE but my dealer said it had a salvaged title. I got a good deal on my car, it has the sunroof i wanted at the time, and i liked the color.. it drove fine, clean title. I'm not looking to get rid of my car, don't get me wrong, but if I can get away with trading it straight up or with little $ added for a 5-spd with similar, or lower milage and good shape, I'd probably do it. So I'm just testing the waters. See what dealerships say about things like this. If it's going to be anything I trade this car in for, it will be another 97-99 and a 5spd.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:31 PM

if it's a straight up trade....you won't have to pay ANY taxes....and if there is a price difference...you'll only have to pay tax on the difference. I say go for it...you can always have a moonroof put in that is automatic later....much easier to do that a 5-speed swap...
Old 10-09-2001, 09:47 PM

didn't know that..

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
if it's a straight up trade....you won't have to pay ANY taxes....and if there is a price difference...you'll only have to pay tax on the difference. I say go for it...you can always have a moonroof put in that is automatic later....much easier to do that a 5-speed swap...D
another good point.. thanx

what's going on? Are all 4th genners buying 2k2's now? emax, Steve (dmb), maxipad, now Andy? Or is Andy waiting for the 2k2 540i 6 speed? or better yet.... M5
Old 10-09-2001, 09:56 PM

Re: didn't know that..

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

another good point.. thanx

what's going on? Are all 4th genners buying 2k2's now? emax, Steve (dmb), maxipad, now Andy? Or is Andy waiting for the 2k2 540i 6 speed? or better yet.... M5
No, I'm waiting for a 6-speed Maxima. 540 is too small for me, I don't feel comfortable in there.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:28 PM

Plus the Maxima certainly will have almost identical numbers to the 540i which makes it a really great value compared to the $55K+ tag of the BMW. Especially since the interior of the Max(IMO) is greatly improved, finally some quality leather, things like heated steering wheel, Xenon, memory seats make the car almost perfect in my eyes. I never expected it to blow away the Altima, but to me it surely did by far.

I'm hoping the 6 speed works perfectly as I'm sure one of the buying members will inform us. Other than that, I like the 2K-2K1 17's a bit more, and not sure whether I like the fact that the SE doesnt have different tail lights from the GLE/GXE(Almost non-existent). Anyway, both the rims and tails can be taken care of, its the 6 spd tranny I want feedback about. If everything works out, I most certainly want to lease one. Dont know which color I would get (Tungsten Blue Metallic, Majestic Blue or Merlot), all look very hot with the black leather interior.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:51 AM

Get Majestic Blue, it'll look nice with dark tint and clear lenses.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:28 AM

So, what did the dealership say..... Are you a manual shifting fool yet?

Old 10-10-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall
So, what did the dealership say..... Are you a manual shifting fool yet?

No email response!!!
I'm thinking of calling them after school tomorrow.

BTW, I've seen 2 new Altimas and 3 new maximas on the road today.. I must say the Altima looks damn hot. They were both the 4 cyl models I figure, since they had single exhausts but overall it doesn't look that huge or bubbly like it seemed to me before. Very nice looking car, rear end is not bad, front end is interesting. It's body reminds me of some of the new Audi's or the GS Lexus. The Maxima on the other hand, looks the same, tail lights aren't bad, i like them. Front end looks so much better just because of the headlights.
I did not know about these extra luxury features in the Max, that NYC GXE is talking about.. They beefed it up pretty well, I'm wondering about the price tags, There is an automatic SE at Staten Island Nissan for 29k. I don't know about how well equipped it is though.
Andy, good to hear you're staying with the Maxima fam. I'm damn jealous too... That car is going to haul ***.. the automatic runs low 15s stock. I can't imagine the 6spd... then with mods...
Old 10-10-2001, 05:45 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My '95 Max is an Automagic, and it's fast as hell! I know we all get used to driving our maxima's, but after not driving it for 2 weeks, I was REALLY impressed at the fit,finish, and Performance of my a-magic maxima.

Fella's, we ALL have fast cars here.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
My '95 Max is an Automagic, and it's fast as hell! I know we all get used to driving our maxima's, but after not driving it for 2 weeks, I was REALLY impressed at the fit,finish, and Performance of my a-magic maxima.

Fella's, we ALL have fast cars here.
True that.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:17 PM

<<BTW, I've seen 2 new Altimas and 3 new maximas on the road today.. I must say the Altima looks damn hot. They were both the 4 cyl models I figure, since they had single exhausts but overall it doesn't look that huge or bubbly like it seemed to me before. Very nice looking car, rear end is not bad, front end is interesting. It's body reminds me of some of the new Audi's or the GS Lexus. The Maxima on the other hand, looks the same, tail lights aren't bad, i like them. Front end looks so much better just because of the headlights.
I did not know about these extra luxury features in the Max, that NYC GXE is talking about.. They beefed it up pretty well, I'm wondering about the price tags, There is an automatic SE at Staten Island Nissan for 29k. I don't know about how well equipped it is though.
Andy, good to hear you're staying with the Maxima fam. I'm damn jealous too... That car is going to haul ***.. the automatic runs low 15s stock. I can't imagine the 6spd... then with mods... >>

Yeah, I also think the Altima look real nice on the outside, but once you take a good look at everything inside, you'll be disappointed. I actually took the time to play with every holder, convenience feature and was pretty disgusted. I definitely think the interior will be revised for next year. About pricing, you configure a fully loaded Maxima with every option except Navigation on Carsdirect.com, it comes out to 27.8K, if you configure a 3.5SE Altima with every option, it actually comes to at least a grand more. As for leases, a fully loaded Max and a fully loaded Alty w/no xenon were identically priced. Question is, why would anyone want to do that, when clearly the majority agrees with me that the Maxima interior blows the Altima interior away. Also, to me the 3.5SE auto was noticeably less agressive/powerful than the auto Max. The only edge the Altima is left with is the better suspension and perhaps a nicer look.

The only issue now is the 6 spd tranny judging by the SER article, but I'll have to see for myself.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:35 PM

just a marketing trick i guess...

<<BTW, I've seen 2 new Altimas and 3 new maximas on the road today.. I must say the Altima looks damn hot. They were both the 4 cyl models I figure, since they had single exhausts but overall it doesn't look that huge or bubbly like it seemed to me before. Very nice looking car, rear end is not bad, front end is interesting. It's body reminds me of some of the new Audi's or the GS Lexus. The Maxima on the other hand, looks the same, tail lights aren't bad, i like them. Front end looks so much better just because of the headlights.
Andy, good to hear you're staying with the Maxima fam. I'm damn jealous too... That car is going to haul ***.. the automatic runs low 15s stock. I can't imagine the 6spd... then with mods... >>

Yeah, I also think the Altima look real nice on the outside, but once you take a good look at everything inside, you'll be disappointed. I actually took the time to play with every holder, convenience feature and was pretty disgusted. I definitely think the interior will be revised for next year. About pricing, you configure a fully loaded Maxima with every option except Navigation on Carsdirect.com, it comes out to 27.8K, if you configure a 3.5SE Altima with every option, it actually comes to at least a grand more. As for leases, a fully loaded Max and a fully loaded Alty w/no xenon were identically priced. Question is, why would anyone want to do that, when clearly the majority agrees with me that the Maxima interior blows the Altima interior away. Also, to me the 3.5SE auto was noticeably less agressive/powerful than the auto Max. The only edge the Altima is left with is the better suspension and perhaps a nicer look.

The only issue now is the 6 spd tranny judging by the SER article, but I'll have to see for myself.

The Altima is way more hyped up then the new Max. Since we have 2 new engines, completely new body, bunch of new features, people are more drawn in by new stuff like that. The average car buyer doesn't follow everything.. usually their decision is in a large part affected by looks, test drive, popularity or combination of all. The Maxima is the same car as it was to most people, while the Altima is something radical and people are foolish enough to be tricked into buying the crappier car even though it costs more.
The new maxima is a beast, this could be the best performing maxima ever made, since it should be redesigned to a bigger platform and will get less nimble, heavier and probably a lot uglier.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:12 PM

Thats just it, Bay Ridge Nissan(When I test drove the Altima last week) hadnt even sold one, while moving several Maxima's. Also Ramsey Nissan on RT hadnt sold one as of two weeks ago. They are getting pretty weak response for a predicted best selling car of the year.

Fact remains, I'm still torn between leasing a 2K2 SE 6 spd or buying a 97-99 SE 5 spd/auto. One of the main factors is there are barely any really, really mint ones out there for a price which I think would be fair.

Last thing, if you somehow find the money, I would be all over 1Hotmax's rims if I were you. Those would make a hell of a huge difference, if I had a 4th gen, I'd probably ****** them up by now.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:43 AM

just got my car. kinda wish i had a 5-sp too now
Old 10-11-2001, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

Andy, good to hear you're staying with the Maxima fam. I'm damn jealous too... That car is going to haul ***.. the automatic runs low 15s stock. I can't imagine the 6spd... then with mods...

Yeah, I decided to get a brand new Maxima rather than a used 540. Enough for used cars, I wanna be the first one to break it
Old 10-19-2001, 06:41 AM
Granny Driven

Attn. NycEMaXimA

Get rid of that sucker(auto) and go for that 5speeddddd killa! Tell them you dont like autos and you want to trade. They will sell the auto faster. Take it even if has more miles.