General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anybody have any 7th gen intel

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 AM

Anybody have any 7th gen intel

I have recently, strictly by chance, had the apportunity to get behind the wheel of an 06 I thought it was nice but a bit touring sedanny. My qusetion is does anybody know anything about the next gen like if Nissan is going to loose the Lexus effect in the Maxima. They did it with the Z in the early 90s, after it had turned into a two door Caddilac in the Eighties. I know Nissan insiders frequently cruise through these forums.

Last edited by maxima-junky; 01-02-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: proof read
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by maxima-junky
I have recently, strictly by chance, had the apportunity to get behind the wheel of an 06 I thought it was nice but a bit touring sedanny. My qusetion is does anybody know anything about the next gen like if Nissan is going to loose the Lexus effect in the Maxima. They did it with the Z in the early 90s, after it had turned into a two door Caddilac in the Eighties. I know Nissan insiders frequently cruise through these forums.

There have been a lot of unverifiable rumors going around about the 7th gen:

300+ HP
AWD
4DSC
etc
etc

I wouldn't believe much of anything you hear until Nissan says something. Too much speculation and third party friend of a friend info going around for much of it to seem reliable.

My guess would be a fatter rounder heavier 6th gen with a 280-290 hp 3.7L VQ FWD. But then, that's just my guess...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

search? look around at the several threads already?

though you will see, no absolutely nothing is known yet. just that drastic changes including a diesel in 2010 are promised.

no details.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought the 90s was the Z car Cadillac era?? There was info at FA but it got squashed IIRC...
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I know everything but was sworn to never tell any of you. but I'll give you a hint, 3.7L 280-300 hp FWD, bigger, they will be aiming it directly at bmw 5 and CLS. and IMO thats risky, since they have advertised the fact that that is the intent. It should be interesting I hope, as long as nissan gets their head straight about designing a car.

Any one investors in Nissan?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
I know everything but was sworn to never tell any of you. but I'll give you a hint, 3.7L 280-300 hp FWD, bigger, they will be aiming it directly at bmw 5 and CLS. and IMO thats risky, since they have advertised the fact that that is the intent. It should be interesting I hope, as long as nissan gets their head straight about designing a car.

Any one investors in Nissan?
i think aiming towaqrds the 5 series and being better than is a very difficult job and nissan ( or infinti) has a history of tryn to beat bmw and getting beat by bmw ( 3 series and g35 sedan and 3 series coupe vs. g37) but, cls will be a an easy win for nissan cus even the 6th gens are better than those cls's. but thats my opinion and if nissan can make a better car than the 5 seriies you will deff see me with one but it still not going to get the same feeling or the respect you get for driving a bmw.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Wow. I remember when you would earn respect with the content of your character. In 07 it seems any peice of crap with convertable 6 series can get more respect than a stand up guy in a Nissan. What a world.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM

junky - I would have responded sooner, but the bitterly cold weather has fogged up my crystal ball, and you didn't include a photo of your palm for me to read, so all I can go by are my tarot cards.

My tarot cards say the 7th gen Maxima will be more upsale than previous Maximas, with more standard features, a base price a few thousand higher than the 6th gen, definitely a luxury car (especially when we consider that it is a Nissan, not an Infinity), around 300 HP, and yet will tie to its Maxima roots in one respect; a sports-oriented suspension and drive train.

But this will be a true flagship vehicle, not the lovable, affordable, modable 4DSC Maxima of olden days; The 3.5 Altima now fills that slot. As a result, it would be more likely that the 7th gen would keep the CVT and add AWD than it would to add a manual tranny. We are talking sports-luxury more than sports, alhough the power and sports suspension will definitely be here.

There have been a few little developental bumps, and the traditional 'winter car show introduction followed by spring arrival at dealers' Nissan uses for new generations has been somewhat delayed. It now seems (based on RHMax info) that the intro will be in March and the arrival will be this summer. But that isn't far away.

The info my tarot cards are showing is not 'inside info'; it is derived purely from various things Mr. Ghosn has said publically during the past year. Of course Nissan info comes from many sources, such as the announcement last week that Chrysler and Nissan plan to develop vehicles that will be sold as both Chryslers and Nissans, differing only in sheet metal details. I had long hoped that arrangement would be reached with Ford, but that wasn't to be.

As for Nissan insiders cruising through these forums? The clampdown on info on the 7th gen Maxima has been so tight that the first time I posted anything here that even looked official (it wasn't), a dark car with four orientals wearng dark shades sat at the head of my driveway for two days. I got the message. (OK, stretching things a bit here)
Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
i think aiming towaqrds the 5 series and being better than is a very difficult job and nissan ( or infinti) has a history of tryn to beat bmw and getting beat by bmw ( 3 series and g35 sedan and 3 series coupe vs. g37) but, cls will be a an easy win for nissan cus even the 6th gens are better than those cls's. but thats my opinion and if nissan can make a better car than the 5 seriies you will deff see me with one but it still not going to get the same feeling or the respect you get for driving a bmw.
are you guys talking about the cl-s or the benz cls??? two different stories... i would love if it was a little more top end for a change
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM

is there any pics of a concept maxima???
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM

isn't this the year for the skyline also? they said it was suppose to be 09
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM

grandhustle17 - There have been no 'Maxima concept' pictures for the '09. There were pics of a strange aqua-colored car with suicide doors continually posted here for four months as a Maxima concept, but anyone here who knows Nissan knew immediately they bore no resemblance to anything Nissan would release as the 7th gen Maxima.

And the CLS that has been suggested since last spring would influence a some of the 7th gen Maxma styling is the Benz CLS.

---------------

dineth00i30 - I'm glad you get 'feeling and respect' for driving the BMW 5 series. It must be a 'brand' thing with a certain segment of folks. Whenever I see a BMW, especially the 5 or 7 series, I think one thing: There goes a driver who puts non-functional street image over financial and reliability factors. In my opinion, not a practical or wise person. The 5 and 7 series cost from $10K to $50K more than the Maxima.

There are those who swear by BMW styling, but some of those folks would like the styling of a used beer keg if it had the BMW logo on the front, because many BMW buyers are after image over all else. Personally, I have always preferred Maxima styling. Of course styling is not as important to me as (1) greater reliability, (2) more room, and (3) more bang for the buck. Between the Maxima and the 5 or 7 series, the Maxima wins each of those three categories hands down.

But if one prefers to use their car to promote their persona, then, depending on who is trying to impress who, the BMW may be exactly what is needed. Or maybe a Jag XK or Porsche 911? We can't let money or reliability hold us back if our image needs a big boost.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
but, cls will be a an easy win for nissan cus even the 6th gens are better than those cls's.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Why is Nissan so tight-lipped about the 7th Gen Maxima???? You'd think they discovered the location of the holy grail or something . .sheeesh.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM

I read a press release about a year back that Valeo was designing selenoids/valves for camless engines for nissan & ?? that were going to hit production in '09 models. Just tossing this out there. I would LOVE IT if nissan came out with a camless VQ that retained the bellhousing & mount locations of previous VQ's, that would be sooooooooooo sweeeeeet!

Infinitly variable cam timing & duration will be the greatest advancement for the 4-stroke engine since the onset of EFI back in the 80's.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 AM

Deus - Like you, I would love to have a 'sneak preview' of the 7th gen Maxima. But Nissan has always been very covert with their new gen Maxima releases. Just look back at the last one:

As of Oct '02, we had spent months scouring the net and finding nothing about the coming 6th gen, other than Nissan saying it would be the first Maxima assembled in the U.S. By Nov '02, we had our first real spy photos of street testing of the 6th gen, with much tape and masking involved. In mid-Dec '02, Nissan released the first actual photo (one only) of the 6th gen to the press as a 'teaser'. In Jan '03, the 6th gen Maxima was oficially introduced at a national car show, just as the assembly line began producing them. Less than two months later (first week of Mar '03) the 6th gen began appearing on dealer's lots.

I suspect RHMax may be correct in that the official 7th gen intro will take place next month, and the cars will begin appearing on dealer lots several months after that. I think RHMax suggested it might be as late as late summer, but I will be a little surprised if the cars are not arriving by early summer; new Maxima gens always arrive in the spring/early summer window. We will soon see.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Deus - Like you, I would love to have a 'sneak preview' of the 7th gen Maxima. But Nissan has always been very covert with their new gen Maxima releases. Just look back at the last one:

As of Oct '02, we had spent months scouring the net and finding nothing about the coming 6th gen, other than Nissan saying it would be the first Maxima assembled in the U.S. By Nov '02, we had our first real spy photos of street testing of the 6th gen, with much tape and masking involved. In mid-Dec '02, Nissan released the first actual photo (one only) of the 6th gen to the press as a 'teaser'. In Jan '03, the 6th gen Maxima was oficially introduced at a national car show, just as the assembly line began producing them. Less than two months later (first week of Mar '03) the 6th gen began appearing on dealer's lots.

I suspect RHMax may be correct in that the official 7th gen intro will take place next month, and the cars will begin appearing on dealer lots several months after that. I think RHMax suggested it might be as late as late summer, but I will be a little surprised if the cars are not arriving by early summer; new Maxima gens always arrive in the spring/early summer window. We will soon see.
Well that started with the 4th gen and the reason they did that is because the 3rd gen had a long run model years so they wanted to get the 4th gen out asap. Funny thing is they still had strong sell numbers after 6 model years, I'm thinking that with the 7th gen Nissan will go back to a traditional late summer/fall intro as they did with the 3rd gen intro.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by aventerav
that is exactly what ran through my mind, cls, ok, yea, if some one is looking into buy a cls how the hell are they going to stray off to a Nissan dealership to buy a Maxima c'mon be serious

as of now the only info we have is it will have 4 wheels a motor and maybe will get a diesel motor too

Last edited by Crusher103; 01-09-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Crusher - The CLS thingie may be overdone here. The original supposition was that a FEW styling cues on the '09 Maxima MAY be drawn from the CLS. But the '09 Maxima will not be mistakable for a CLS.

As to the diesel engine, the '09 Maxima will DEFINITELY NOT have a diesel option, while the 2010 Maxima DEFINITELY WILL have a diesel option. We do know a few things about the '09.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Crusher - The CLS thingie may be overdone here. The original supposition was that a FEW styling cues on the '09 Maxima MAY be drawn from the CLS. But the '09 Maxima will not be mistakable for a CLS.

As to the diesel engine, the '09 Maxima will DEFINITELY NOT have a diesel option, while the 2010 Maxima DEFINITELY WILL have a diesel option. We do know a few things about the '09.
thats exactly what I meant someone earlier said that the max could take the cls easy, which is just ridiculous, our cars are nice but lets not let them go to our heads
Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
aka The Doom Ship

My wish: VQ37 298HP, Dual Clutch tranny+AWD.
What they will probably do: VQ35 275HP FWD CVT crap

Last edited by AllBlackMax; 01-09-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan better come better than 2?? anything HP in the 7th gen......they used to be class leaders in HP and now a freakin Altima has 15 more HP than Max 270 vs 255......5 years no improvement in power....WTF????.

Even the new V6 Camry can outrun a Max.....not good. And as for that CVT I have not heard a single good thing about it from any existing owner.......there's a reason Toyota, Benz, and every other maker out there has 6 and 7 speed automatics.....smarten up Nissan.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM

foxbat - You must either be new here, or have not read the threads. Most '07 owners on the ORG have decent things to say about the CVT, and some really like it. So far, it has been rather reliable.

To even mention the Benz in the same paragraph with the Maxima is strange, considering the very vast difference in the reliability of those two. I wouldn't trust a Mercedes to get me to the nearest grocery without something breaking.

You are talking apples and oranges with your comparison of a generation of the Maxima that was designed in 2001-2 and began production in January 2003 with new generations of Altima and Camry, which happen to be two of the better cars going at this moment. Even so, the very old design Maxima competes rather favorably with these two new hussies. Once the 7th gen Maxima arrives later this year, it will leave both those cars in its dust. Count on it.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by maxima-junky
Not much other than it will take design cues from the Intima concept.

Nissan will unveil the redesigned Max in March. We should hopefully see some spy shots in the coming weeks.

http://thenewmaxima.com/index.php/to...msg10.html#new
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by foxbat
Nissan better come better than 2?? anything HP in the 7th gen......they used to be class leaders in HP and now a freakin Altima has 15 more HP than Max 270 vs 255......5 years no improvement in power....WTF????.

Even the new V6 Camry can outrun a Max.....not good. And as for that CVT I have not heard a single good thing about it from any existing owner.......there's a reason Toyota, Benz, and every other maker out there has 6 and 7 speed automatics.....smarten up Nissan.
the max doesnt compete with the Camry and Accord anymore thats the Altimas problem now(I think the altima might take the 4dsc from the Max cause they are really pushing it), cmon learn Ur Nissans, the Max has moved into the full size category so its against cars like the Chyrstler 300 and the Toyota Avalon, CVT is good system from what I hear I mean U really cant hate on infinite gear 7-8 speed autos cant beat that, and as far as improvement the max will probably be the first FWD car in Nissan to get the VQ35HR which is an improvement if U read the reviews on the 5.5gen and 6th gen Maxs they say the Vq35 lost the smoothness of the VQ30, people that have driven the new Z and G35 say that it reminds them of the 4th gen maxs smoothness, so bigger hp numbers are not the aim here

Last edited by Crusher103; 01-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
aka The Doom Ship

+1

CVT was designed with fuel savings as a priority not performance. And yes, the new Max SHOULD be 300+, ESPECIALLY if they're makin it bigger.

*edit*
Matter of fact, any bigger and that thing should come with a V8 and be RWD.

Originally Posted by foxbat

Last edited by AllBlackMax; 01-11-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
bald aggression est 78

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
+1

CVT was designed with fuel savings as a priority not performance. And yes, the new Max SHOULD be 300+, ESPECIALLY if they're makin it bigger.

*edit*
Matter of fact, any bigger and that thing should come with a V8 and be RWD.
then they would call it a Q45 just kiddin i could'nt resist and theres supposed to be a new one coming out but thats a horse of a different color. i agree though it should be puttin out 300+