General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

detector detection by police

Old 10-31-2001, 09:40 AM

detector detection by police

does a police radar unit typically signal that a driver has a detector, or do they just guess based on sudden drops in driver speed?

For those drivers using detectors where they are not permitted, what is your best detector ditching strategy/routine? I figure mine will be to stuff the device down my shirt or jacket,as body searches are not permitted in Ontario for this type of suspected infraction. For over $700.00 Canadian, for my Valentine 1, i gotta come up with somethin. Any other suggestions??
Old 10-31-2001, 09:42 AM

Re: detector detection by police

Originally posted by LeoB
does a police radar unit typically signal that a driver has a detector, or do they just guess based on sudden drops in driver speed?

For those drivers using detectors where they are not permitted, what is your best detector ditching strategy/routine? I figure mine will be to stuff the device down my shirt or jacket,as body searches are not permitted in Ontario for this type of suspected infraction. For over $700.00 Canadian, for my Valentine 1, i gotta come up with somethin. Any other suggestions??
Buy a built-in radar dector
Old 10-31-2001, 09:42 AM

Where radar detectors are not allowed, the police have VG-2. VG-2 is a radar detector detector. But most newer model radar detectors have a VG-2 detector to shutting down the radar detector so the police can't "see" that you have one.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:43 AM
Administrator

vg2
Old 10-31-2001, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: detector detection by police

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Buy a built-in radar dector
trouble is..they are allowed to search the car, so i'd maybe have to put a false bottom into the centre arm rest storage bin or something
Old 10-31-2001, 10:02 AM
JET Speed Lab

make sure you turn it off before you put it down your shirt. or else it'll beep faster the closer he comes
Old 10-31-2001, 10:06 AM
PhatGuy

Put it in a sealed envelope with prepaid postage. I don't think cops are allowed to open mail within you car without a warrant. If a judge gave a warrant to do so and nothing relevant was inside you could have a case agaisnt them. In other words they would be taking big chances opening up sealed mail. Just a thought...

Old 10-31-2001, 10:11 AM

great idea

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Put it in a sealed envelope with prepaid postage. I don't think cops are allowed to open mail within you car without a warrant. If a judge gave a warrant to do so and nothing relevant was inside you could have a case agaisnt them. In other words they would be taking big chances opening up sealed mail. Just a thought...
that's a really ingenious angle..Like a big oversized Purolator envelope or something. I'm gonna check that out with our lawyer here at the office!
now I just have to figure out if my V1 has VG2 !

although, could they open the envelope claiming I look like a pot-head, then tell the judge they suspected drugs, and were merely checking???
Old 10-31-2001, 10:17 AM
PhatGuy

Re: great idea

that's a really ingenious angle..Like a big oversized Purolator envelope or something. I'm gonna check that out with our lawyer here at the office!

although, could they open the envelope claiming I look like a pot-head, then tell the judge they suspected drugs, and were merely checking???
What is V1 and VG2? Let me know what the lawyer says?

Old 10-31-2001, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: great idea

V1 is valentine 1... that super radar detector..

VG2 is a technology that stops police form detecting if you have a radar detector or not..
Old 10-31-2001, 11:12 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

The cop has to have probable cause to search your vehicle. You do have a right to say NO!!! to a search of your vehicle. The cop will generally call a 2nd officer to assist with a sniff dog and if the sniff dog cannot smell anything out of the ordinary the cop cannot search your vehicle unless he has your consent.

Maximadave
Old 10-31-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: great idea

The car and its contents can only be searched if the officer fears for his safety. If there is a suspicious package that is ticking, he may feel his life is at risk.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
The cop has to have probable cause to search your vehicle. You do have a right to say NO!!! to a search of your vehicle. The cop will generally call a 2nd officer to assist with a sniff dog and if the sniff dog cannot smell anything out of the ordinary the cop cannot search your vehicle unless he has your consent.

Maximadave
if a policeman has suspicion that you have a radar detector (where it is illegal), he would have to have a reason for thinking that (as its not the default assumption for police to think everyone has a radar detector)...so wouldnt that be probable cause? if something leads him to believe you have a radar detector? but if he cant search your car....what exactly does a radar detector smell like?
Old 10-31-2001, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: detector detection by police

There are no VG2 units in use in VA nor DC.. I ran with cheap detectors years and have only been caught by visual inspection..

Cops assume if your caught speeding you don't have a radar detector, which is a reasonable assumption.

Originally posted by Gotrice4

Where radar detectors are not allowed, the police have VG-2. VG-2 is a radar detector detector. But most newer model radar detectors have a VG-2 detector to shutting down the radar detector so the police can't "see" that you have one.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:33 PM

I never take my detector down in DC nor VA. I'm in DC every day and in VA I just set my LED's to off.

I have been caught in VA a few times with a detector but nothing happened.. I think it may be more serious for those who reside in VA that have detectors.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:35 PM
JET Speed Lab

so NONE of you thought my comment was funny???
Old 10-31-2001, 01:52 PM

LOL!!

That was funny..

Actually in VA you can display a radar detector on you windshield or where ever the loop hole is that it cannot be connected or easily accesable to an outlet/power.. Example: On my Bel I can separate the cigarette lighter piece and hide it if necessary therefore it is not accesible. Will a VA cop search my car who knows or cares I'd just be happy not to get that 90 in a 55 ticket because my detector warned me..

In DC you cannot even transport a radar dector according to their law books ei absolutely no loop hole..

Originally posted by Newman96SE

if a policeman has suspicion that you have a radar detector (where it is illegal), he would have to have a reason for thinking that (as its not the default assumption for police to think everyone has a radar detector)...so wouldnt that be probable cause? if something leads him to believe you have a radar detector? but if he cant search your car....what exactly does a radar detector smell like?
Old 10-31-2001, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Valentine 1 CANNOT be detected by VG-2. It is VG-2 savy. I think there's a new standard for the police, an upgrade to the VG-2, coming out soon. Can't recall, though. V1 owners in VA, Canada etc, be wary.

DW
Old 10-31-2001, 03:51 PM

Passport and Bel are undetected by VG2 not that police in the DC area are using it anyway..

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The Valentine 1 CANNOT be detected by VG-2. It is VG-2 savy. I think there's a new standard for the police, an upgrade to the VG-2, coming out soon. Can't recall, though. V1 owners in VA, Canada etc, be wary.

DW
Old 10-31-2001, 07:13 PM

Re: LOL!!

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
That was funny..

Actually in VA you can display a radar detector on you windshield or where ever the loop hole is that it cannot be connected or easily accesable to an outlet/power.. Example: On my Bel I can separate the cigarette lighter piece and hide it if necessary therefore it is not accesible. Will a VA cop search my car who knows or cares I'd just be happy not to get that 90 in a 55 ticket because my detector warned me..

In DC you cannot even transport a radar dector according to their law books ei absolutely no loop hole..

actually, i think it says that you are allowed to have a radar detector in the car if it has no power source AND the detector itself is not accessable by the driver. as in, it is hidden somewhere within the woodwork of the car.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: great idea

bud .. don't even bother .. they're useless in Ontario .. i had the bel 980 .. ranked in some test better than the v1 ... but I still got 2 speeding tickets in 2 months ... the first time I was going 200 & got nabbed with laser .. nothing legal will detect laser in time for you to stop ...

the 2nd time ... yes I will admit I was a f&cking d&mb as$ .. but I was speeding on a street that I knew cops always hide .. but I wanted 2 know how much time I had to slow down as soon as the detector went off .... not enuff ...

so I sold it on eBay!
Old 10-31-2001, 09:16 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: great idea

Originally posted by ohboiya

bud .. don't even bother .. they're useless in Ontario .. i had the bel 980 .. ranked in some test better than the v1 ... but I still got 2 speeding tickets in 2 months ... the first time I was going 200 & got nabbed with laser .. nothing legal will detect laser in time for you to stop ...

the 2nd time ... yes I will admit I was a f&cking d&mb as$ .. but I was speeding on a street that I knew cops always hide .. but I wanted 2 know how much time I had to slow down as soon as the detector went off .... not enuff ...

so I sold it on eBay!
Holy crap! You got caught at 200? When is your trial date?

Old 10-31-2001, 09:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: great idea

Holy crap! You got caught at 200? When is your trial date? umpkin:
After reading his sig, more precicely "my ride" portion Im going to go out on a limb and say that the 200 is kilometers per hour not miles per hour.

Kirk
Old 10-31-2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
so NONE of you thought my comment was funny???
Old 11-01-2001, 12:38 AM

damn canadians
Old 11-01-2001, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by black019
damn canadians
Old 11-01-2001, 04:16 AM

If your area uses laser.. Get the Blinder laser jammer..

so I sold it on eBay!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:19 AM

Holy crap! You got caught at 200? When is your trial date?
200 km/h 4 u yankees ...

no .. i was driving 200 ... slowed down & got nabbed @ 145 ... dropped to 129 .. still 3 points =(
Old 11-01-2001, 08:11 AM

.. nothing legal will detect laser in time for you to stop ...
in Shumax's road trip review of the 8500 and the v1 he mentioned one of the detectors (probably the v1) detected some cars in front of him being hit with laser. if the laser is on you its too late but cant the detectors sense it if its aimed at the car in front of you or a few cars ahead?
Old 11-01-2001, 08:19 AM

Yes, they can, but the warning is sooooo damn short even when they do laser the car in front of you. I have the V1, and every time it goes off laser, my heart jumps, cause I know I have to react IMMEDIATELY. This is not a V1 weakness, all the best detectors are pretty much the same way.

DW

Originally posted by Newman96SE

in Shumax's road trip review of the 8500 and the v1 he mentioned one of the detectors (probably the v1) detected some cars in front of him being hit with laser. if the laser is on you its too late but cant the detectors sense it if its aimed at the car in front of you or a few cars ahead?
Old 11-01-2001, 09:14 AM

so I sold it on eBay!
I dont think a detector is a license to throw caution and common sense to the wind. It's just another tool in a whole bag of strategies to avoid being nabbed. For me, I know where the cops usually hang out on my daily drive, the detector will just give me a bit more of an edge. Doesnt mean I'm planning on doubling my speed or anything.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:25 AM

Exactly. Even the best detectors won't guarrantee you won't get a ticket. You're fooling yourself if you think so. The radar detector is just a part of your arsenal in the never ending battle between the speeder and the speed catcher.

Actually, I remember the good ole days when the police radar guns were always on. I had a Cobra trapshooter back then. Man was it easy! I never got a ticket then!

Then I learned later that cops were getting cancer because of those always-on guns sitting in their laps

DW

I dont think a detector is a license to throw caution and common sense to the wind. It's just another tool in a whole bag of strategies to avoid being nabbed. For me, I know where the cops usually hang out on my daily drive, the detector will just give me a bit more of an edge. Doesnt mean I'm planning on doubling my speed or anything.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: great idea

Exactly. Even the best detectors won't guarrantee you won't get a ticket. You're fooling yourself if you think so. The radar detector is just a part of your arsenal in the never ending battle between the speeder and the speed catcher.

Actually, I remember the good ole days when the police radar guns were always on. I had a Cobra trapshooter back then. Man was it easy! I never got a ticket then!

Then I learned later that cops were getting cancer because of those always-on guns sitting in their laps

DW

yeah...cancer of the "*********" to be exact. Quite a few of the unmarked Lumina's that cruise the highways around here, leave their guns on at all times, so it's nice to be able to pick them up, especially when they are coming up from behind
Old 11-01-2001, 10:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: great idea

Definately.... I actually need my detector less on my daily route since I know it so well.. It's those new places where your just cruisin' ~10 about the limit that I really rely on my detector..

Plus we have an excessive amount of cops where I live and most don't have radar but if you accidently pass them by not paying attention they will pull you over.

DW

Old 11-01-2001, 11:38 AM

Now, the question is. . . does anyone have a website where it may list where a detector is illegal? I know that they are not allowed in upstate New York. . .