General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cryo rotor experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Cryo rotor experiences

I am quite familiar with the technology of cryogenically treated rotors and wanted to know if anyone out there has tried them on their cars. I am in the process of upgrading my braking system and would appreciate some input on the subject. I tried looking through the rotor section in here but most of the links are broken.

Thanks

Roy
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What is the benefit (if any) of this process on a rotor?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
What is the benefit (if any) of this process on a rotor?
http://tinyurl.com/977ete
Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I am quite familiar with the technology of cryogenically treated rotors and wanted to know if anyone out there has tried them on their cars. I am in the process of upgrading my braking system and would appreciate some input on the subject. I tried looking through the rotor section in here but most of the links are broken.

Thanks

Roy
I didn't have any luck with the set I had treated, but I know several local racers who absolutely swear by it on their brake rotors, engine bearings, and pistons.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Marketing 101
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM

the general consensus around the forum seems to be that a set of OE brembo blanks seems to yield the best cost to value ratio.

I am kind of interested in trying the set of cryo treated blanks that power stop has to offer. If i remember correctly they really arent that much more than the brembos and are black. I dont know if they stay that way, and i doubt they do but they look kind of cool and i am sure they are at least marginally better than just plain blanks
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

the only thing cyro does is prevent cracking and warping, unless you are braking hard enough to crack and warp normal rotors then you don't really need them, id go with the brembo blanks
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Marketing 101
Dot.

There is no improvement at all of a rotor being Frozen and then thawed out to use on a car. If anything it almost seems that would cause an atom breakdown in the long run because it is being frozen below 30 and then gets to temp over 400 degrees.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM

i just looked at tirerack.com and the cryo blanks are $5 more each than the brembo blanks. i know it is a no no to talk about on the forum but i know many of us have come down from 130+ road tripping through the desert. Isnt it worth the little extra to protect yourself?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 AM

I still don't see any benefit of using any sort of treated cast iron rotor.
It's the pad that causes most if not all brake related issues.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Feldman
i just looked at tirerack.com and the cryo blanks are $5 more each than the brembo blanks. i know it is a no no to talk about on the forum but i know many of us have come down from 130+ road tripping through the desert. Isnt it worth the little extra to protect yourself?
What do you think cyro treating your brake rotors is going to 'protect' you from at that speed?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
STFU n00b!

You people need to understand what cryo treatment does to metal on a molecular scale, NOT just because it gets damn cold.

Cryo treatment is simply yet another form of heat treating metals. Ever heard of hardening and annealing metals? they're all the same principle and all of them simply heat and cool the metals to certain temps at certain rates, and they all do different things to them.

The point being cryo actually does stuff on a molecular scale, not just freezing the crap out of some metal.

Racers swear by it because it makes their stuff last longer. most people on the street don't treat their cars with enough dignity and care to make the difference worth it on a street car.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM

If what you say is true about Cryo rotors...I think Cyro rotors got a bad edge for 2 reasons

1. The price at first. These bad boys were 225 dollars a rotor. I remember. And that was about a year ago.

2. The scam system of the marketing. We as people and car enthusiast are so used to getting scammed out our money for a "performance difference" And when people start seeing things like frozen rotors they either soak it up cause it sounds cool and dish out tons of money and people laugh at them for that OR they laugh at it because it sounds ridiculous when they see some company "freezing the crap out of some metal" lol .

I understand that it could be doing something on the molecular scale but imo, now I am no molecular scientist or a physicist(I am sure no one is here either) but would freezing something to below those temps for a just a short time and then throw them on cars for 2 years of pure friction heat for over 400-500 degrees cause any breakdown like I mentioned above?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by S1cTech
I understand that it could be doing something on the molecular scale but imo, now I am no molecular scientist or a physicist(I am sure no one is here either) but would freezing something to below those temps for a just a short time and then throw them on cars for 2 years of pure friction heat for over 400-500 degrees cause any breakdown like I mentioned above?
As the alloy cools and undergoes phase change the metals will solidify and form in different charge states (i.e. iron either being in ferric or ferrous) thereby creating a final product with different physical characteristic (for instance, the alloy may harden with a higher Mohs value).

Now, I don't know what their specific alloy is nor do I have access to their phase diagrams, so I cannot attest to the validity of their claims upon formation but the theory is ABSOLUTELY ROCK SOLID.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

rip off

/thread
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cryogenic treating of rotors and parts

Done properly, cryogenic treating will strengthen, increase resistance to wear and stress relieve not only brake rotors but drive train and engine parts. Just like heat treating, if cryo treating is not done correctly, all you will accomplish is freezing stuff. Computer controlled gradual cooling to -300F, maintained at -300F for 24 hours, controlled gradual warming to ambient temperature, followed up a triple cycle of heat temper to +300F. Higher carbon steels, grey iron, stainless, gain the greatest improvement in strength. It works, we've been doing it a long time. Dave. 300 Below, Inc.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
Im a nuclear engineer

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Cryo treatment is simply yet another form of heat treating metals. Ever heard of hardening and annealing metals? they're all the same principle and all of them simply heat and cool the metals to certain temps at certain rates, and they all do different things to them.
A metal is cold worked to create dislocations to give it a higher yield stress and make it tougher but its more brittle. It is then annealed to try and return some of its ductility back. But these process are generally done at room temp and then above. Cryo treating I think is different like metal maxima said.

Am I gonna buy cryo rotors?...No, but I know why they are made. The tougher (more brittle) a material is it is less likely to warp under high stress and high temp.

Last edited by black_maxed95; 02-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by traffic1
Done properly, cryogenic treating will strengthen...
When talking about metals you have to be careful with what terms you use. Cryo does not strengthen a material, it makes it more tough. On the org though Im sure it makes no difference...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I didn't have any luck with the set I had treated, but I know several local racers who absolutely swear by it on their brake rotors, engine bearings, and pistons.
Same here. The expen$ive pair of FrozenRotors I had left me less than impressed.

Marketing 101
Agreed.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Same here. The expen$ive pair of FrozenRotors I had left me less than impressed.

Agreed.
If you dont autocross (or similar) your car you wont see any difference. But they are made for a reason. Just like huge spoilers...they are made for a reason for race cars, but 99% of the ones you see on the back of civics dont do ****.

Edit: 100%