General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Boot is ripped on front driver side, grease everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 12:43 PM

Boot is ripped on front driver side, grease everywhere

Here is the pic. I had noticed black grease on that particular rim for a while and just thought minor road/brake dust, but I noticed other rims were fine. I took the wheel off and I had to clean out alot of grease. I would say I was driving like this for more than 6 weeks. I was figuring that I should replace only the boot, since I am poor and willing to do the hrs it take to replace it, I cannot afford half or entire shaft. I cleaned most of the grease off in this pic. Thanks for any response. Oh yes, I did use search and read on some stuff regarding this, but I want to see if people have done or heard of any reliable idea to fix this. Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2001, 12:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Buy a boot kit from Nissan or Napa and just switch the boots. CV joint removal is required though. Either drain your old tranny fluid into a clean container or change it. Good time to change the outputshaft seal. ($5)
Old 11-15-2001, 12:54 PM

jeff when did u become a mod?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Oh just today. Why?

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
jeff when did u become a mod?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:06 PM

Buy the "split boot" type and you don't even need to remove anything other than the old boot with a pair of snips.

The joint in the split boot overlaps itself and is held by half a dozen teeny tiny screws and nuts. I've done 4 of these over the years and never had any further trouble.

BTW, be real fussy about removing all the old grease from the CV joint. Use a small paintbrush or toothbrush and mineral spirits to thoroughly clean out as much old grease as you can. Then, pack as much of the supplied new grease into the CV joint as you can. Use your fingers to "press" the grease into one side of the race until it squeezes out the adjacent pieces. Done carefully, and depending how long you've been driving w/the torn boot, you'll have good luck saving the CV joint itself.

Good Luck,

Kirk
Old 11-15-2001, 02:35 PM

had the same prob

the whole axle had to be changed because i was driving it like tha for a whole time
Old 11-15-2001, 06:01 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Boot is ripped on front driver side, grease everywhere

Originally posted by ßaller
Here is the pic. I had noticed black grease on that particular rim for a while and just thought minor road/brake dust, but I noticed other rims were fine. I took the wheel off and I had to clean out alot of grease. I would say I was driving like this for more than 6 weeks. I was figuring that I should replace only the boot, since I am poor and willing to do the hrs it take to replace it, I cannot afford half or entire shaft. I cleaned most of the grease off in this pic. Thanks for any response. Oh yes, I did use search and read on some stuff regarding this, but I want to see if people have done or heard of any reliable idea to fix this. Thanks again!

i bought a axle at a local parts store...under 70 w/ lifetime warranty.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:35 PM

What would cause it? I noticed that after I had my new tokicos installed that the front driver side brake line was weak, and eventually the brake line was ripped, thank goodness I was parked. So I am thinking that the brake lines was rubbing against the cv boot, and that is why it had ripped. After me and my cus replaced the brake line, we noticed that when we turn the wheel a certain direction to the fullest, that there is contact between the brake line and cv boot. Found out that the guy who replaced the tokico did not do it properly on the driver side, the passenger side is fine. Wish me luck.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:17 AM

I had the same problem, only worse. Both of my sides boots were ripped and when i took it to mechanic, he told me that its not worth fixing it so i had BOTH OF MY FRONT AXLE'S replaced. I was driving round with ripped boot for more than like 2 mo. b4 i took it to get my car inspected and they failed me because of this. Both front axle cost me $230 with labor.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by ßaller
What would cause it?
They just get old and hard. Since they move around alot they crack, and you end up with a big mess
Old 11-16-2001, 08:01 AM

These boots do lead a hard life. Right out in the open, constantly subject to all the crap on the roads. Then, they also spin as the wheel spins and have to flex continuously as the wheel moves up and down or turns.

Once the boot cracks or tears and the grease is flung out, then the poor CV joint has to live in these conditions without its designed lube. If you catch it in time, the joint is not destroyed and you're still good to go with just a new boot. Otherwise, you need the new joint, which nowadays is available only as a complete axle shaft.

A rubbing brake line or a heavy-handed mechanic doesn't help either.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:56 PM

Re: Boot is ripped on front driver side, grease everywhere

Baller,

If you don't plan on replacing the half shaft then my suggestion
would be for you to clean the components thoroughly, including
removing any and all grease and look through the shafts for any
pebbles and alike clean everything before you put in a new boot.
Take your time!!! If you lose your half-shafts you're going to lose
your car...

Mike

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ßaller
[B]Here is the pic. I had noticed black grease on that particular rim for a while and just thought minor road/brake dust, but I noticed other rims were fine. I took the wheel off and I had to clean out alot of grease. I would say I was driving like this for more than 6 weeks. I was figuring that I should replace only the boot, since I am poor and willing to do the hrs it take to replace it, I cannot afford half or entire shaft. I cleaned most of the grease off in this pic. Thanks for any response. Oh yes, I did use search and read on some stuff regarding this, but I want to see if people have done or heard of any reliable idea to fix this. Thanks again!