General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Painting my side view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Painting my side view mirrors?

Hey all. New poster here but long time lurker. Anyway, I have a 5.5 Max and my side view mirror has a black border on the edge of the mirror and the rest of the mirror is the color of the car.

What I wanted to know is if it's possible to paint the black boundary chrome and is it something someone who never painted a vehicle can do easily. My gut says that it should be easy enough but since it has to do with painting and the high visibility of the area, my thinking is maybe the job is not expensive for someone with the experience and tools to do and just pay someone.

Can any of you give me an idea if this job is something a novice should take on and if so, can you help get a list of all of the items I would need to do it?

Hope you can see the pic.

Last edited by Mr. Wet; 03-26-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM

It can be done, but generally, chrome paint never looks right and given the area you are painting, will look like crud fairly quickly.
To answer your question, yes, you can paint it chrome. You can buy chrome paint from just about any auto parts stores. Make sure you follow the directions on the can EXACTLY. Otherrwise you will get bubbling, peeling etc.

Hmm, you can buy peel and stick chrome pieces in different lengths and widths. That might be a better route to go.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:27 PM

dont do it....it would look better the color of the car.....and yes...its possible as stated above
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM

thanks a lot guys. Warning heeded. I went to a local body shop to get a quote and it was actually pretty good. I could've paid for it right there but I hesitated and didn't know why.

I guess things happen for a reason.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Oh God! Look at my chrome paint horror story thread, DON'T USE AUTO STORE chrome paint! Its actually a bright silver, that rubs off and cannot be clear coated! Trust me I tried painting my grille chrome, it was the worse idea ever. I still painted it though, just not chrome
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 AM

WOW!!!!

Sorry to hear about that Leo!

I was going to go with the item linked below. I don't know if chrome paint in general is bad or if it's the can stuff that blows.

I also wanted it to get done professionally. I am going to a junk yard that has a sideview mirror of the same year of Max that I have. Maybe I will use it as a test dummy and see how it looks.

http://www.kustomrides.com/home.php?cat=11

Last edited by Mr. Wet; 03-30-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first time i've seen that but it looks very interesting, I might full around with it. thanks for the link.

Not sure how good that'll look on the side mirrors though.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
first time i've seen that but it looks very interesting, I might full around with it. thanks for the link.

Not sure how good that'll look on the side mirrors though.
Here is a link to my vehicle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/...3879c4.jpg?v=0

I plan to get chrome eyelids as well.

Back up plan? I want to get new side view mirrors that have the turn signal that faces on coming traffic. Sorta like the Mercedes has and just paint the mirror the color of the car.

I get the feeling that the second choice is the way I am going to go with.

Last edited by Mr. Wet; 03-30-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Wet
WOW!!!!

Sorry to hear about that Leo!

I was going to go with the item linked below. I don't know if chrome paint in general is bad or if it's the can stuff that blows.

I also wanted it to get done professionally. I am going to a junk yard that has a sideview mirror of the same year of Max that I have. Maybe I will use it as a test dummy and see how it looks.

http://www.kustomrides.com/home.php?cat=11
Haha don't be! I learned a valuable lesson, thankgoodness it was my grill that I decided to paint chrome and not like a door or a hood!

But I think chrome that are in a can in general are bad, I mean I think the types of chrome where you spray a base and activator and then water, and clear, are the real deals.

But stay away from Duplicolor "instant" chrome and don't use their silver metal specks one either, it leaves a blue tint after it dries............. so now my grille looks slightly blue. Time to sand it down and paint it again............................................. ....................... haha!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 PM

I was wondering if Leo would chime in on this..lol.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4DSCDriver
I was wondering if Leo would chime in on this..lol.
haha you remembered my horror storIES, hahah

Long story short, first time painter + free time and a idea = trouble!

And PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM INSTANT CHROME in a cans!