General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Failing HIDs...bulbs or ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Failing HIDs...bulbs or ballasts?

Okay, so I know there have been a few threads about failing HIDs...but mine seems to be a bit different from others'. So here goes.

First off, let me state that I'm an idiot for investing in eBay bulbs and ballasts for my Max. At least they gave me a two year warranty. Let's see if they honor it.

Anyway. When I flip my fogs on, at first, both bulbs will come on like normal. However, after a few minutes, the driver's side bulb will start to slowly dim a little bit, and occasionally flicker. It's gotten to the point now where the bulb will gradually dim and just go out. But if I turn them off for about ten seconds, the ballast will re-ignite the bulb for another go-round of the same thing.

Also worth noting is that the bulb seems to stay on longer when the housing is cold. Once the housing warms up from the bulb being on, the light seems to fail faster.

In my opinion, it seems that it's the ballast failing because the bulb can be re-lit after a short period of being turned off, and it dies as though it's just kind of losing charge. But is it also possible that the bulb is over-heating and on the way out as a result? I know I've had this happen in the past with halogen bulbs...

Any suggestions? I'm going to try swapping bulbs when I get some spare time. I've only had these running for about 150 hours tops.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 AM

yea im pretty sure its the ballast, i had the same problem in my other car
Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM

in all honesty i dont see what they hype is about getting HIDs from either ebay or someone on the forums...problems are bound to happen regardless. i purchased ebay HIDs as well as 'good' HIDs

granted ebay HIDs have initiated a problem that when i turn on my signal light it flickers. i havent had the 'good' HIDs long enough to start a problem, but my point is...they pretty much come from teh same place, whats the purpose of saying 'ebay = garbage HIDs'?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM

how about the stock factory HID's? My car is an 04 and the hids are really turning blue.. is the sign of age or time for new bulbs?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Yeah, so figured out that it's the ballast. POS...

Oh well. Time to go see if the manufacturer will honor the warranty.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25
how about the stock factory HID's? My car is an 04 and the hids are really turning blue.. is the sign of age or time for new bulbs?
Bulbs change color over time as their life goes down. It's more likely the bulb.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM

If you really want to find out if its the bulb or the ballast why don't you just swap the driver/passenger side bulbs. If the problem stays on the drivers side then its the ballast. If the problem is now on the passenger side then its the bulb.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Yeah, so figured out that it's the ballast. POS...

Oh well. Time to go see if the manufacturer will honor the warranty.
Originally Posted by DAlastDON
If you really want to find out if its the bulb or the ballast why don't you just swap the driver/passenger side bulbs. If the problem stays on the drivers side then its the ballast. If the problem is now on the passenger side then its the bulb.
I did. It's definitely the ballast.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM

i have a similar issue with an hid in my fogs 1 started 2 flicker then didnt work then did. so i just ordered a new hid ballist and bulbs in your case if they will not honor it then this is the website i used www.vvme.com and i paid 19.99 for 1 ballist and 25.99 for the h3c bulbs. i got that site from another member of a diff forum so hopefully i wont get screwed but good luck with ur issue man.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 AM

Are you using a harness connected directly the battery or a factory harness?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by queenambeach
Are you using a harness connected directly the battery or a factory harness?
It's just a P'N'P set-up. I tapped directly into my factory harness.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
It's just a P'N'P set-up. I tapped directly into my factory harness.
That could be your issue....probably not, but possibly. Regardless, its in your best interest to get a harness to power the ballast directly from the battery. A $20 harness cost a less to replace than a fried OEM harness.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by queenambeach
That could be your issue....probably not, but possibly. Regardless, its in your best interest to get a harness to power the ballast directly from the battery. A $20 harness cost a less to replace than a fried OEM harness.
I thought about it when I originally installed them. Unfortunately I had a naggy girlfriend who HAD to go do something the same day I'd planned to install them, so I kinda threw it all together really quick.

Since then, I just haven't had time to do anything with them. I have yet to send the ballast back to the manufacturer...