General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Grinding noise when turning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 11:00 AM

Grinding noise when turning?

A few weeks ago I started to notice my car would make this metal on metal grinding noise when I would turn. It almost seemed like it was rubbing on something, but when I would check it out there was nothing in the way. Periodically it would would jerk hard to the side and I would have to really have to hang on so I wouldn't fly off the road. The dealership said it might be something wrong with the rack and pinion or possibly the steering column. I am hoping to get some feedback from you guys as to what the problem might be. Anyone ever had anything like this before?
Old 12-08-2001, 05:07 PM

Re: Grinding noise when turning?

Originally posted by Maximus97
A few weeks ago I started to notice my car would make this metal on metal grinding noise when I would turn. It almost seemed like it was rubbing on something, but when I would check it out there was nothing in the way. Periodically it would would jerk hard to the side and I would have to really have to hang on so I wouldn't fly off the road. The dealership said it might be something wrong with the rack and pinion or possibly the steering column. I am hoping to get some feedback from you guys as to what the problem might be. Anyone ever had anything like this before?
Does this happen when you turn both left and right, or only when you turn one way or the other? Is there a lot of grease "splashed" all up inside one of your front wheel wells? It sounds like you may have a bad CV joint. The boot cracks/breaks open, all the grease comes out, dirt and grit invade the joint, the joint begins to wear, you hear a grinding sound... You need to get that replaced ASAP. Oh, and nobody replaces those with new parts. Reconditioned axles/CV joints are used for the replacement as a rule. Rebuilt axles are usually just as good as new, and cost about 1/3 as much. Just make sure you get them from a reputable supplier. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:48 PM

not on a maxima but....

on my mom's 2000 Beetle a rear wheel grinding noise turned out to be an extremely unevenly and prematurely wearing break pad, resulting from a partially seized emergency brake cable. It only happened when the car was turning in one direction
Old 12-08-2001, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
#1 CV Joint
#2 Upper strut mount, and spring top hat.
Yeah if it is a "clack clack clack" noise, I would check the CV joints. If it is a "gunk pop clang" noise, I would check to see that the upper strut perch is turning smoothly.