General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My max is running slow all the sudden....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001 | 11:45 PM

My max is running slow all the sudden....

ok...so I was out last night...and used a good half bottle of NOS...I spanked a good number of cars and took a 740i from 80-130 easily. We had to get on the brakes pretty hard after the race becuase we were WAY over the speed limit...don't worry, it was late at night..and there were no other cars with in a half mile of us.

Anyway....my brakes are making weird noises now...I have stillen slotted rotors and metal matrix pads....when the brakes are cold the make a clicking rubbing noise when I'm rolling...and as soon as I apply them the noise stops but then they make this whirring noise while applied. Once they warm up...there are no noticeable noises coming from them.

Problem is...I have run Jason (MAX2000JP, 2000 SE 5-speed) MANY MANY times...and tonight...he literally MURDERED me from a roll...this has NEVER happened before...actually he's never even pulled on me....something has got to be wrong with my car....after last night and running NOS (A/F was rich the whole time...usually 2-3 bars of green and maybe 1 bar of yellow, and FP was realitively constant..it didn't drop off) my engine is noticably louder at WOT than it was before...all the extra sound is coming from the intake...and it SCREAMS....but it feels slower. Could something be wrong with my engine??? I have done all the regular service...just changed the oil a few days ago...just cleaned the throttle body, just replaced the fuel filter...etc....etc....my air filter is clean, and I really don't know what else to add. I'm worried that my car is messed up. I'm thinking that it could be my brakes dragging....but I don't know...also..could my cat be fouled (still stock) and restricting my exhaust??? Why is my car so slow!!!

Please help guys...I'm worried about my maxima!
Old 12-15-2001 | 12:27 AM

Re: My max is running slow all the sudden....

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
ok...so I was out last night...and used a good half bottle of NOS...I spanked a good number of cars and took a 740i from 80-130 easily. We had to get on the brakes pretty hard after the race becuase we were WAY over the speed limit...don't worry, it was late at night..and there were no other cars with in a half mile of us.

Anyway....my brakes are making weird noises now...I have stillen slotted rotors and metal matrix pads....when the brakes are cold the make a clicking rubbing noise when I'm rolling...and as soon as I apply them the noise stops but then they make this whirring noise while applied. Once they warm up...there are no noticeable noises coming from them.

Problem is...I have run Jason (MAX2000JP, 2000 SE 5-speed) MANY MANY times...and tonight...he literally MURDERED me from a roll...this has NEVER happened before...actually he's never even pulled on me....something has got to be wrong with my car....after last night and running NOS (A/F was rich the whole time...usually 2-3 bars of green and maybe 1 bar of yellow, and FP was realitively constant..it didn't drop off) my engine is noticably louder at WOT than it was before...all the extra sound is coming from the intake...and it SCREAMS....but it feels slower. Could something be wrong with my engine??? I have done all the regular service...just changed the oil a few days ago...just cleaned the throttle body, just replaced the fuel filter...etc....etc....my air filter is clean, and I really don't know what else to add. I'm worried that my car is messed up. I'm thinking that it could be my brakes dragging....but I don't know...also..could my cat be fouled (still stock) and restricting my exhaust??? Why is my car so slow!!!

I dont know jack about the maxima (mechanically) but do the brakes smell bad after a regular drive? (i.e. no hard braking)
Old 12-15-2001 | 12:39 AM

have you ever done a compression test?
Old 12-15-2001 | 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
have you ever done a compression test?
nope..but that will probably be something I will be doing VERY soon....
Old 12-15-2001 | 05:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

nope..but that will probably be something I will be doing VERY soon....
ya do a compression test and pull your wheels off and check the brakes out good, umm gut your stock cat just in case.
Old 12-15-2001 | 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My max is running slow all the sudden....

If you think your brakes are dragging then try this;

On a flat road surface with no incline, turn your car off, leave it in neutral, and leave the e-brake dis-engaged. Now, try to push your car. It should roll with some resistance (from its 3000 lb mass)

If your brakes are dragging, then the car will come to s stop kinda quickly. If not, then yor car should gradually stop.

Oh, also, leave your front windows all the way open before you try this, just in case your car gets rolling and starts to run away With the windows open you can just reach in and grab the e-brake.

DW

Old 12-15-2001 | 07:33 AM
Got Bent?

you said the intake was screaming loud? Check to see if you have a leak or a loose connection on the intake tubing...
Old 12-15-2001 | 07:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It could be CV Joints clicking and not your brakes. Maybe you tore one.
Old 12-15-2001 | 07:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
you said the intake was screaming loud? Check to see if you have a leak or a loose connection on the intake tubing...
You could have loose intake connection that is causing the MAF to get all screwy...
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
It could be CV Joints clicking and not your brakes. Maybe you tore one.
I just had my trans re-built and everything in the driveline was inspected. I was also just under may car yesterday...and the CV boots are both intact. I know it's the brakes becuase as soon as I even touch them...the sound starts to go away....

What should my compression be when I test it??? If my compression is low what can I do??? Am I just screwed?
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:13 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

ya do a compression test and pull your wheels off and check the brakes out good, umm gut your stock cat just in case.
how do I go about gutting the stock cat???
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:15 AM

I checked it all last night...and everything seemed to be fine. I'm baffled....
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:15 AM
Got Bent?

how do I go about gutting the stock cat???
don't gut the thing. Rather, go to an exhaust shop and ask them to make you a straight pipe so that you can see if the cat is bad. It shouldn't cost more than $50 or so....
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:19 AM

don't gut the thing. Rather, go to an exhaust shop and ask them to make you a straight pipe so that you can see if the cat is bad. It shouldn't cost more than $50 or so....
I didn't think exhaust shops would do stuff like that....isn't it illegal???
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:22 AM
Got Bent?

I didn't think exhaust shops would do stuff like that....isn't it illegal???
In your case, if you tell them you think you have a clogged up cat, they will probably try and help you out. You have over 50k miles right? There shouldn't be any legal issues then.... or you can try a speed shop.... they may worry less about legalities
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure to pay cash, too

DW
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:46 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

it's easy to guy the stock one if you can't get a pipe made. if you can get one made it's easier but with a stock one it looks like you still have a cat. you just take it off the car and beat the **** out of it with a hammer and a long screwdriver. it's easy.

compresstion should be between 180-142psi with no more than 14psi differnece between adjacent cyclinders.
Old 12-15-2001 | 09:47 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Make sure to pay cash, too

DW
hehe...ok...I will
Old 12-15-2001 | 10:00 AM

Yo man its easy as hell to gut the stock cat. Just lift the car, drop the cat, hammer the inside of the cat out, remount, and drive away. I did it to mine.
Old 12-15-2001 | 10:27 AM

Like he asked earlier, what will happen if his compression is bad? What can he do to fix it?
Old 12-15-2001 | 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Kyle7475
Like he asked earlier, what will happen if his compression is bad? What can he do to fix it?
Either the head gasket has a leak in it, or one of the intake/ exhaust valves has a leak in it. Neither one is a pleasant experience to fix.
Old 12-15-2001 | 03:24 PM

I did a compression test today....look in my thread about it for the results........