General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New Z pricing just came out. $26,269 for base!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I can't believe some of you guys are bashing the new 350Z and here you are driving around in a friggin Maxima. I mean, even the new 2002 Maximas don't even have the power to weight ratio of the 350Z (looks like the Z will be 50-100 lbs lighter and have another 30HP or so), yet some of you think the Z is slow. The Maxima stock handles like a pig, heavily modified handles okay at best, and here the Z has a top notch suspension so it should be a fantastic handler, a real canyon carver. Looks like it has really good brakes on the base car plus a fantastic Brembo upgrade from the factory on the track model. Styling is subjective, but the looks of this car are already admired but lots of people. All for under $27, not much more than (if at all) more than a 2002 Maxima.

How you guys get your heads that far up into your own a$$ is beyond me.
I'm not bashing the car, and I don't think that a maxima is better. I simply learned my lesson with the maxima. N/A is not for me, I like to see effects of moding my car. And you can see better gains out of a turbo engine. If the Z is turbo, I will probably make that my next car. If it's not I might have to look for a nice supra with TT and a six speed. I would choose the supra over the Z any-day. Even though it costs more. Toyota did a better job with a sports car!
Old 01-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Keven97SE

If you think that a 3600+ lb car with buttloads of power is a true sports car, then yes the Supra TT is better. However, there is a camp out there that believes that a true sports car is lightweight. Better handling comes with lighter weight. That was Nissan's vision of a true sports car. They could have added 500 lbs of stuff and made it gawdaweful fast, but they CHOSE not too. To keep the weight down, they minimized things. They focused on other things.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a big, heavy, super powerful sports car, I'm just saying thay there's nothing wrong with a lightweight, moderately high powered sports car either.

Old 01-09-2002, 02:04 PM

If you think that a 3600+ lb car with buttloads of power is a true sports car, then yes the Supra TT is better. However, there is a camp out there that believes that a true sports car is lightweight. Better handling comes with lighter weight. That was Nissan's vision of a true sports car. They could have added 500 lbs of stuff and made it gawdaweful fast, but they CHOSE not too. To keep the weight down, they minimized things. They focused on other things.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a big, heavy, super powerful sports car, I'm just saying thay there's nothing wrong with a lightweight, moderately high powered sports car either.
Give me the cutoff point for lightweight sports car. I mean an m3 weighs 3200lbs so is that light? An m5 weighs 4000lbs and rips most cars. To me there is 2 different kinds of sports cars. luxery sport, and supersport.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max7

I don't think that the new Z will run the 1/4 mile under 14 sec. But if it will it's still not fast. Ofcourse they could develop a car that has TURBO under the hood, but they seem to hate the idea of forced induction. I personaly will not buy another N/A car. I spent over $1000 to increase my hp by 20-30, and my friend slaps a chip for $300 on his Passat, which is by the way a four cylinder and he gets a bump of 50hp. He also has more tourqe than I do, which means that if he buys a $300 downpipe for that car he will probably smoke me. That is ofcourse for those that are into moding their cars.
ok at maxima with at least 30 less hp, FWD and ****ty stock tires ran a 14.3. That would be my time. you don't think better tires, 100lbs less and RWD and 30hp more will bring it to a 13.9 i think it will.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:19 PM

Re: My thoughts on the new Z and Skyline

Originally posted by jgadlage
What and the hell is Nissan doing to these cars! I have never seen something as butt ugly as when Pontiac brought out Aztec. Looks like they couldn't decide where to stop the headlights, slapped on some metal to make the fenders look wider, rounded and snubbed the rear end, and put on some god awful looking door handles. For $26,000 for the base model you are already getting ripped off for such a ugly a$$ car. Don't even get me started on the Skyline- trying to make it more luxurious like a BMW or MB? Nissan should get back to their roots and stop trying to be something that they are not. Man what are they thinking? Might not have such a hard time when deciding to get another car, I'll just go for some kick a$$ older TT Z's, Skyline's, Impreza WRX's, or TT Supra's. Save money on a car that won't depreciate as soon as I take ownership and I'll have money left over to modify it. At least they had STYLE and performance.

Just had to rant and throw my .02 in about this.
are you crazy??? you think the WRX has style? the back of that car is so ugly, and the rest of it isnt anything to talk about either... the 2.5 RS looks nicer.. i think the Z looks good but that skyline? are they trying to ruin the skyline name? and i agree with steve.. they say 280+ hp which means theyre probably trying to tweak it to like 300 or so, or 320 would be sick to match the hp of the supra with out the TT, a little less weight, so at least .4 less doesnt seem too hard from someone who knows how to drive that car and has broken it in
Old 01-09-2002, 02:19 PM

For those that are speculating about the numbers the Z will put down. Stop go get SCC and read the article on it. There are no exact quartter times yet but they say "Nissan engineers still have some work to do on teh v6 powerplant. A fact nissan admits too" "The car we drove is a very early example with wrong wheels and front fascia". So there changing it more be 4 it hits the street." the suspension in the mule will undergo drastic changes". "nissan says sub six second runs to sixty but the mule we drove could not near pull that"." the car we drove is lighter than the previous gen, but it is still no featherweight"

Just some things that I thought came out of the article that were pertinate here.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
For those that are speculating about the numbers the Z will put down. Stop go get SCC and read the article on it. There are no exact quartter times yet but they say "Nissan engineers still have some work to do on teh v6 powerplant. A fact nissan admits too" "The car we drove is a very early example with wrong wheels and front fascia". So there changing it more be 4 it hits the street." the suspension in the mule will undergo drastic changes". "nissan says sub six second runs to sixty but the mule we drove could not near pull that"." the car we drove is lighter than the previous gen, but it is still no featherweight"

Just some things that I thought came out of the article that were pertinate here.
Yeah every magazine gets a slightyl changed model so who knows the speed come production time.

SuDZ
Old 01-09-2002, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: My thoughts on the new Z and Skyline

Originally posted by JoesMAX

are you crazy??? you think the WRX has style? the back of that car is so ugly, and the rest of it isnt anything to talk about either... the 2.5 RS looks nicer.. i think the Z looks good but that skyline? are they trying to ruin the skyline name? and i agree with steve.. they say 280+ hp which means theyre probably trying to tweak it to like 300 or so, or 320 would be sick to match the hp of the supra with out the TT, a little less weight, so at least .4 less doesnt seem too hard from someone who knows how to drive that car and has broken it in
Thats a nice pic of your car rolling down the street. Nice.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:34 PM

Well, if you think that a Supra is a bad handling car than I will agree with your statement but last I checked it was not. Second of all a true sports car is not light. Unless you consider civic a true sports car. The previous Z was around 3600 lb car. Corvette is not exactly light either. I think the main point to a sports car is well balanced. 50/50 not how much it weighs. I simply want to see the come back of Turbo, unless that happens I will praize the Supra. I hope no one here is getting offended!
Old 01-09-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on the new Z and Skyline

Originally posted by max'n out

Thats a nice pic of your car rolling down the street. Nice.
thanks but it not really dropped like that, its photoshopped
Old 01-09-2002, 04:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on the new Z and Skyline

thanks but it not really dropped like that, its photoshopped
Thought it seemed real low and the wheels were to flush.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:30 PM
EZ

Originally posted by max7

I'm not bashing the car, and I don't think that a maxima is better. I simply learned my lesson with the maxima. N/A is not for me, I like to see effects of moding my car. And you can see better gains out of a turbo engine. If the Z is turbo, I will probably make that my next car. If it's not I might have to look for a nice supra with TT and a six speed. I would choose the supra over the Z any-day. Even though it costs more. Toyota did a better job with a sports car!
Toyota do a better job than Nissan I'll take a Skyline GTR with AWD, turbo, and internals capable of 500+ hp anyday. In Japan, the GTR doesn't cost that much more than a Supra ($55,000 vs $47,000)
Old 01-10-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by EZ

Toyota do a better job than Nissan I'll take a Skyline GTR with AWD, turbo, and internals capable of 500+ hp anyday. In Japan, the GTR doesn't cost that much more than a Supra ($55,000 vs $47,000)
Are we in Japan? I know all about the skyline, but to bring one here costs close to 80 grand or so, but Supra is available in the US.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:42 AM

Love the Z

the Skyline and it's tail lights are still but ugly...
Old 01-10-2002, 12:02 PM
www.autotalk.com

it ALL DEPENDS who is talking. Its all personal guys so take it ez on each other WRX - thats one ugly car in the world. its no HP that matters all the time???? If it does then buy a bike!
Old 01-10-2002, 03:32 PM
pmg

Car and driver said that Nissan said it would be the fastest Z ever. That would require 0-60s in the low 5's. I have a feeling it won't be. I can't wait to check out the Z next week at the Detroit auto show. If it's fast enough, I'll buy one instead of waiting for the WRX STI to come over in a year or so (0-60 in 4.8+/-)...I know it's a little ugly, but not that bad!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: My thoughts on the new Z and Skyline

I was talking about the older WRX's not the newer ones. True the rear end could use more personality, but it isn't at all bland. In need of a bodykit maybe or just a rear facia.....

The thing I miss is the aggressive styling of the older cars. The older WRX had more character than the brand new one that came out. It looked more aggressive with sharp lines and less watered down and curvey. They can give the Skyline 1000hp, but if the body isn't drop dead beautiful then I will not want it. The R33 was sharp looking, but the R34 just got too many lines in the rear near the fenders. The newer Impreza fell the the same fate by the looks of these pictures on this website: http://www.infoideas.net/Isdera/Subaru-Impreza/

Old 01-10-2002, 09:49 PM
EZ

When SCC did that little test drive of the "test" mule, the Z car had about 250hp and 246 ft/lb of torque. In its current stage, they say at the MINIMUM 280hp and 260 ft/lb of torque. That is a huge difference between the two. This Z is a lot lighter than the previous turbo versions so it should run the same in the quarter but that is yet to be seen. But as long as the Z does less than 5.9 sec 0-60 and handles well, I'll be happy
Old 01-10-2002, 10:08 PM

That new Z look's very nice and should sell very well in the sports car segment. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have my eye on the 18" rims{I love them!}, I may have to get a set for my self in the future .
Old 01-11-2002, 07:48 AM

in the "Track Model" the 18" rims are forged alloy made by Rays

Originally posted by emax95
That new Z look's very nice and should sell very well in the sports car segment. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have my eye on the 18" rims{I love them!}, I may have to get a set for my self in the future .
Old 01-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by seven

I heard a rumor that you ate 9 .. was she tasty?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by EZ
This Z is a lot lighter than the previous turbo versions so it should run the same in the quarter but that is yet to be seen. But as long as the Z does less than 5.9 sec 0-60 and handles well, I'll be happy
Look at this way, too. The previouse model Z's all had an N/A version and a turbo. I'm not sure if turbo was offered at the same debute time of the N/A version. But what's to stop them from doing it this time?

We all know that the VQ is one of the best N/A V6's ever. That being the case, they may not go turbo. Then again, the biggest retriction that most SC and Turbo max owners have had is the fact that the engine wasn't originally designed and nurtured to handle forced induction. All attempts to do so have been meet with multiple levels of success/failure. If Nissan really wants to contiue with the turbo trend of the Z family and truly create a Porche killer, they'll go turbo. It's destined to be, or at least we all hope.

Also A stock turbo setup for the Z will add huge amount of aftermarket support to the entire Nissan line, since they are all using the same engine...great marketing aspect to take advantage of while "rebuilding" Nissan from all sides.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by seven

Cool, so Ray's ='s Volk Racing right? Is the 350Z's rims available now throught Rays? If so do you know what model{name} they are and where I could find them? Thanks
Old 01-11-2002, 11:53 AM
EZ

I don't think Nissan will add turbo to the Z because the GTR is coming to the states. I'm thinking they might just offer it at around $60k with twin-turbo and AWD. If they do turbo the Z, then the GTR will be a V8 instead of TT-V6.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by EZ
I don't think Nissan will add turbo to the Z because the GTR is coming to the states. I'm thinking they might just offer it at around $60k with twin-turbo and AWD. If they do turbo the Z, then the GTR will be a V8 instead of TT-V6.
\

From what I understand, we are getting a Skyline not a GT-R and it is getting a V8. Is my information wrong?

If my info is right, then there is even more reason to believe that Nissan will produce a turbo model of the new 350Z.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Frezny
\

From what I understand, we are getting a Skyline not a GT-R and it is getting a V8. Is my information wrong?

If my info is right, then there is even more reason to believe that Nissan will produce a turbo model of the new 350Z.
We are getting the Skyline {AKA G35}, it has the same VQ3.5 liter in my car and the Z{pathfinder and Alty too}.

The Skyline GT-R is the performance model which will probably have a TT 3.5 V6 or maybe a V8. I personaly think it will have the TT V6.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I heard a rumor that you ate 9 .. was she tasty?

taste like chicken!

Old 01-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Cool, so Ray's ='s Volk Racing right? Is the 350Z's rims available now throught Rays? If so do you know what model{name} they are and where I could find them? Thanks

yeah, volk racing. i think the rims are listed in the japanese website under the NISMO models.