General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Max was hit today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Max was hit today

Hi everyone. My Max was hit today while I was at the bank. I heard my alarm go off so I went to the window to shut it figuring someone leaned on the car or something. Then this cute girl comes up to me and asks if the black car was mine. I tell her it is and she said I should go outside it was just hit! I went outside and sure enough I was clipped by a 2001 Nissan Sentra. My car has scratches and cracked bumper gaurds but her front bumper was destroyed. I waited for her to come out and I called the cops. Although it doesn't look like a lot, it is prob. $500-600 worth of damage. See pics below, ohh it just snowed here 2 days ago, so my car is a mess!

Thanks,
Erik

Old 01-22-2002, 12:48 PM

Re: My Max was hit today

Originally posted by tifosiv122
Hi everyone. My Max was hit today while I was at the bank. I heard my alarm go off so I went to the window to shut it figuring someone leaned on the car or something. Then this cute girl comes up to me and asks if the black car was mine. I tell her it is and she said I should go outside it was just hit! I went outside and sure enough I was clipped by a 2001 Nissan Sentra. My car has scratches and cracked bumper gaurds but her front bumper was destroyed. I waited for her to come out and I called the cops. Although it doesn't look like a lot, it is prob. $500-600 worth of damage. See pics below, ohh it just snowed here 2 days ago, so my car is a mess!

Thanks,
Erik

Ouch! That looks painful

DPW
Old 01-22-2002, 01:07 PM

Interesting way to get digits

Seriusly though, that sucks. Make sure you protect the area so salt and other crap don't get into it and start to rust your body. You may also just want to get the girl to pay you cash for the repair; that way neither of your insurance rates will go up.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ouch erik... sorry to hear about it, good luck.

jason
Old 01-22-2002, 01:23 PM

get it fixed, then take her out, an interesting story to tell the kids
Old 01-22-2002, 01:39 PM

No...I must have explained it wrong. The cute girl was not the one to hit me, an old lady was. The young girl just told me that the car was hit. My insurance company will not get involved, so only her rates will go up, not mine. I will have it looked at tomorrow and then submit it to her insurance company. Usually you get paid within 3 weeks unless it is major.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 01:41 PM

Yuck, I feel for you.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:52 PM

ouch...

Originally posted by tifosiv122 No...I must have explained it wrong. The cute girl was not the one to hit me, an old lady was.
DOUBLE OUCH!!

Old 01-22-2002, 02:12 PM

that really sucks man, sorry you have to go through the hassle

The cute girl was not the one to hit me, an old lady was.
Erik
that makes it more of a hassle
Old 01-22-2002, 02:22 PM

If it was a cute girl, i might have let her go, well with some dinner that is ...I better be quiet..my Girlfriend might kill me!

Thanks everyone for the support while I am crying...

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 02:44 PM

I'm wondering if your alarm actually saved you from a hit-n-run situation. It is far too common today for people to side swipe a parked car and just keep driving off. At least with your alarm going off, people will look and see what just happened. There is no running for the perp in that case (with witnesses who know what went down).
Old 01-22-2002, 02:45 PM

If it was a cute girl, i might have let her go, well with some dinner that is
You know a woman is cute when your guy friends see her picture and say how good she looks, but more importantly, another female uses the word "pretty" when she sees the photo. That word seems to be king with females.

You seem to be taking this dent incident pretty well. That's the way to look at these mishaps, what're you gonna do, right?
Old 01-22-2002, 02:52 PM

Mishmosh - Yes, the alarm helped a lot. After she hit me, she went into the Wawa next door without saying anything. Because I went to the window to shut the alarm the cute girl informed me that it was hit. If I had no alarm, I would have had no idea. I just put on this $4,000 Navigation unit so when I heard the alarm I thought someone was trying to steal it, usually I ignore car alarms because they all sound the same.

Frank Fontaine - I am taking it well. Her insurance will pay for the damage, I need a paint job anyway...as it is I know I need the rear fender, and both doors painted...thats half the car.

Thanks again,
Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 03:04 PM

No...I must have explained it wrong. The cute girl was not the one to hit me, an old lady was. The young girl just told me that the car was hit. My insurance company will not get involved, so only her rates will go up, not mine. I will have it looked at tomorrow and then submit it to her insurance company. Usually you get paid within 3 weeks unless it is major.

Erik
even if your deductable is $500 you said theres like $500 damage? unless you go to someone you know that will make it look like the price was higher, so you get the full amount paid for it
Old 01-22-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by JoesMAX

even if your deductable is $500 you said theres like $500 damage? unless you go to someone you know that will make it look like the price was higher, so you get the full amount paid for it
My deductable has nothing to do with this. She hit me, so its her insurance that pays...mine will not even know this happened. I pay nothing...her insurance pays whatever the damage is. If you get into an accident that is not your fault, NEVER tell your insurance company. They have no reason to know about it because they are not involved!

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 03:41 PM

My deductable has nothing to do with this. She hit me, so its her insurance that pays...mine will not even know this happened. I pay nothing...her insurance pays whatever the damage is. If you get into an accident that is not your fault, NEVER tell your insurance company. They have no reason to know about it because they are not involved!

Erik
Yo I thought you were cool about it? We've been kicking insurance around the past few days on the forum, and someone said it doesn't matter, if someone else hits your car 3X, your own insurance still holds it against you. It's an incident. And technically when you reapply they ask you how many incidents you had in the past 3 years. I don't know if you can "omit" something. Kinda like if you apply for a job and lie, you can be fired even after they hire you. Same with insurance, the last thing you want is to pay for it, need it, and then have a claim denied because you omitted info. So if her company pays you, there's a record of it. That's why someone else suggested cash and carry. You could even take the money and run and just bank it, leave the car be.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Yo I thought you were cool about it? We've been kicking insurance around the past few days on the forum, and someone said it doesn't matter, if someone else hits your car 3X, your own insurance still holds it against you. It's an incident. And technically when you reapply they ask you how many incidents you had in the past 3 years. I don't know if you can "omit" something. Kinda like if you apply for a job and lie, you can be fired even after they hire you. Same with insurance, the last thing you want is to pay for it, need it, and then have a claim denied because you omitted info. So if her company pays you, there's a record of it. That's why someone else suggested cash and carry. You could even take the money and run and just bank it, leave the car be.
Whoever told you that is wrong. I deal with insurance companies everyday. IF this incident thing is true, it has nothing to do with stuff you did not cause. My insurance company will never know, never care about this accident. It is not insurance fraud either. I suggest you ask your insurance agent next time you renew. I am not trying to yell at you or anything, but I am just telling you that you have been missinformed.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 03:57 PM

Whoever told you that is wrong. I deal with insurance companies everyday. IF this incident thing is true, it has nothing to do with stuff you did not cause. My insurance company will never know, never care about this accident. It is not insurance fraud either. I suggest you ask your insurance agent next time you renew. I am not trying to yell at you or anything, but I am just telling you that you have been missinformed.

Erik
Here it is:

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/92559-results-my-accident.html

Insurance companies want people with clean records, that's why it s**** when someone else causes you damage. It really isn't your fault, but you could wind up "less than whole."

Though I can see where it makes sense. In cities like NYC they have staged accidents. An insurance co. doesn't want anything to do with you if you seem to be a victim over and over. That's why I can understand why everything can and will be used against you
Old 01-22-2002, 04:21 PM

If my car was involved and it was moving I need to tell my insurance company. They should not hold it against me. Because my car was not moving I don't need to report it. Either way if its not your fault you don't pay and it should not be held against you.

BTW I got a rough estimate of $1,500.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 04:46 PM

sorry about your car!! but when you get it repainted...make sure they match up the colors right. i have a white maxima and i had to get my bumper painted and it has this slight tint of yellow, but it's still noticeable! but once again!! sorry for your baby!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:04 PM

Wow, i feel your pain Erik.

I find that any body repair is always a lot more then expect.

Best of luck with your replairs and may we hit the drag strip soon!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Wow, i feel your pain Erik.

I find that any body repair is always a lot more then expect.

Best of luck with your replairs and may we hit the drag strip soon!
I will hit the drag with or without ugly scratch and dent!

Thanks again everyone for understanding.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 05:51 PM

I will hit the drag with or without ugly scratch and dent!

Thanks again everyone for understanding.

Erik
Sorry to hear about that Erik.

So this means you are still coming to Atco on Sunday....
Old 01-22-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Sorry to hear about that Erik.

So this means you are still coming to Atco on Sunday....
Yes, I will still be there.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 06:14 PM

If my car was involved and it was moving I need to tell my insurance company. They should not hold it against me. Because my car was not moving I don't need to report it. Either way if its not your fault you don't pay and it should not be held against you.

BTW I got a rough estimate of $1,500.

Erik
Just imagine if hypothetically you both used State Farm, or whatever. When a company cuts a check they know who it's made out to and for what vehicle. That's why I think people meet in a dark alley or movie theater sometimes,and exchange cash instead, because both sides don't want to involve insurance. Otherwise, why do that? Are they replacing your door skin ($1500) because it doesn't look that bad in the photo?
Old 01-22-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Just imagine if hypothetically you both used State Farm, or whatever. When a company cuts a check they know who it's made out to and for what vehicle. That's why I think people meet in a dark alley or movie theater sometimes,and exchange cash instead, because both sides don't want to involve insurance. Otherwise, why do that? Are they replacing your door skin ($1500) because it doesn't look that bad in the photo?
The rear fender and both doors need to be sanded, primed and painted. I need new trim and several dents to be taken out. Total with labor I expect around $1,500, but I will know for sure on Friday. They told me I have to wash the car before they give a written estimate.

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 10:54 PM

man thats exactly the same spot I got hit at! I had to spend about 30 min to get rid of the black bumper streak the car left behind and it caused 2 dents on the rear fenders. you can see them in my sig if you look closely at the rear fender.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:03 AM

I know this is off the subject but I see you got youe s-type. PICS!!!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:31 AM

added bondo,= more weight. good luck erik! ouch 1500$$ i think it should be like 700 only. half that of course, i can reccommend some shops down here in southern cali. good luck!
wayne~
Old 01-23-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by mikese
I know this is off the subject but I see you got youe s-type. PICS!!!
The S-type is supposed to be delivered on Feb. 1st. I took off the "Waiting to be delivered" because it was more then 250 characters...so the org was going to delete my sig. The Navigation system is in the Maxima.

Erik