General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan completely restores a 4th gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Handsome

Nissan completely restores a 4th gen Maxima

I'm going to Nashville just to see this thing, completely geeked out, I absolutely loved my 4th gen.

I'm not sure how to embed the video's but there's a couple in the article, can't believe they did this.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-c...?src=soc_fcbks
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Awesome list of cars... You have a list like JER!
Please take pictures
Old 11-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Here are the videos

1st video prior to Nissan purchasing the car

2nd video after Nissan bought it and restored it
Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM

wow, that amazing they spent six months restoring the car. I got to check that out next time I go visit in TN and like to see that. I am surprised it's a 1996, not the first year 95' since I would think it would made sense on a first year of that generation to be at a museum. But with the buzz on the "luxury yacht" with tons of miles on it would make more sense.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the 96 maxima story is absolutely wonderful. I remember reading the craigslist ad when it just went viral. I didn't know nissan ended buying it not to mention restoring it. I wish i get a chance to see it up close some day. I also wish they went with oem equipment available in 96 like the rims, i wonder what else they got "wrong".
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 PM

It's a big joke is what it is. Original guy was mocking it, now Nissan is mocking it. Mocking an older car as if it is undoubtedly inferior to new cars. They all serve the same exact purpose. They should be mocking their new cars, and their non functional body designs, crappy build quality and cheapskate electronics. Ironically, the 4th gen marked the beginning of the downfall of Nissan quality and overall image. Of course they would argue that 1995 was the beginning of their "resurgence", with Ghosn coming in and changing Nissan into a cost cutting brand.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Hectic
It's a big joke is what it is. Original guy was mocking it, now Nissan is mocking it. Mocking an older car as if it is undoubtedly inferior to new cars. They all serve the same exact purpose. They should be mocking their new cars, and their non functional body designs, crappy build quality and cheapskate electronics. Ironically, the 4th gen marked the beginning of the downfall of Nissan quality and overall image. Of course they would argue that 1995 was the beginning of their "resurgence", with Ghosn coming in and changing Nissan into a cost cutting brand.
They took a really good motor and just started putting it in everything, it's cost effective and smart. The 5.5 gen maxima was the pinnacle for me, the 370z is a great car and the GTR in a matter of a few years became an incredibly competitive package if you wanted to dominate on the streets . Nissan is a great balance between value and cost, we will see what they can do in the luxury speed market with the q50 eau rouge and get a sense of their true capabilities for build quality
Old 12-25-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
They took a really good motor and just started putting it in everything, it's cost effective and smart. The 5.5 gen maxima was the pinnacle for me, the 370z is a great car and the GTR in a matter of a few years became an incredibly competitive package if you wanted to dominate on the streets . Nissan is a great balance between value and cost, we will see what they can do in the luxury speed market with the q50 eau rouge and get a sense of their true capabilities for build quality
Nissan has always dumped the same engine in multiple cars. I definitely wasn't talking about the powerplant, power train or suspensions though. Nissan is always going to make good engines and capable mechanics all around. I was talking about the interior, exterior, and electronic systems design and quality. Electronic systems technically aren't manufactured in house, but ultimately they are the ones calling the shots in regard to their design and quality.

There have been major cost cutting measures taken between '95 and until the present. Obviously their cars are safer, that's a plus, but they cut corners at every chance they get. Pretty much goes against what the company is supposed to stand for. Of course Joe consumer doesn't know or care about any of that. They just want to impress people with as new a car as they can afford.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Would be cool to see them restore a 3rd gen
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM

I wonder what it will take to restore my 5.5?

SAK74