General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Racing 00max vs rsx question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Racing 00max vs rsx question

What's up all. Long story short
I had a 4th gen max intake and exhaust and I felt it was pretty quick. I would experience under steer and my steering wheel would go side to side I guess cause of the torque when I gunned (it was auto) fyi
I got bored of the auto so I bought a 01 max no intake only a 2.5 magnaflow catback (manual) and has cel for ignition coils -no misfire just low signal
Never drive stick before been driving it for about a month know I think I have it down pretty well
Well I've been dying to see what this thing could do , a rsx pulled next to me rolling around 40-50mph I shifted down to 3rd he beeped pretty much stood the same amount until I redlined and shifted at 4th then he just got me with about a cars length and a half ,he had no exhaust sound either. This happened 3times so my question is , is a rsx really that faster ? I don't experience the whole steering wheel thing with this max , and assuming I'm racing from a roll 40-50mph what's the best gear to go in.and shift rpm Lol I need some tips I felt embarrassed.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Oh and I had a 300 pound passenger rsx was solo dolo
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 PM

I have never been into racing, but know enough physics to know you MUST dump the 300 lb passenger if you wish to race. If taking a few tools out of the trunk improves elapsed time, just think of what removing a passenger that weighs more than my wife and I together could do for your acceleration.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM

I don't race, but I know that kind of street sprint you're talking about. I drive auto too, which makes the rise in speed when constantly slowing and speeding up on highways a huge pain full of delays and lag feeling - not to mention that same steering movement.

I sometimes take my friends out for a joyride late at night in my Max, and do some fast driving on empty roads. I only weigh 125 lbs, but for every passenger in the car, the more I notice how much extra power I have to give it to pull. One passenger hasn't hindered me much, but obviously 4 will be very noticeable. Of course I don't just take a full car of passengers out for a speedy ride, but I notice this sort of weight when doing the stop and go city traffic or getting onto an up ramp especially.

In a 3300lb Max, I suppose weight is key in competing with smaller sports cars. The RSX has less HP stock, but weighs about 400-600 lbs less.

I can't say much about gears for your manual, as I'm only auto. For stock auto, gradual acceleration really helps with the climb on the transmission without loss of control, and avoiding decelerating and re-accelerating because of lag in shifts while racing. That is the part that irritates me the most about the automatic, which has led me to get a shift kit (manual is not an option). I do a lot of interstate and city driving, and when in 'race mode' kind of like to jump forward and sink back. Auto don't like.

Like Lightonthehill said, just try to dump some extra tools - perhaps give it another shot alone.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have never been into racing, but know enough physics to know you MUST dump the 300 lb passenger if you wish to race. If taking a few tools out of the trunk improves elapsed time, just think of what removing a passenger that weighs more than my wife and I together could do for your acceleration.
I lost 50 pounds on my quest for better fuel economy, my cars got quicker too!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Street racing threads are not tolerated. Please race responsibly at the track.