General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Aluminum Wheels -- Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aluminum Wheels -- Please Help!

Hello team of experts -- I have a sincere need that I've resorted to this group for the 1st time. Been a member for a while - thank you.

I have 20" MSR wheels on a 2011 Nissan Maxima
They are Aluminum lip with the black wheel
They are not driven in winter and I keep them as clean as you possibly can

The last two years -- the lip has gotten progressively worse. There are (what appears to be) water and dirt (literally) stained into the rim. It's extremely odd for me -- though this is my 1st set of wheels ever.

I have tried literally every single store product available. Mothers Aluminum Polish, Wadding polish, wheel cleaners, etc. I can sit and work on one wheel for 30 minutes- trying to buff it out -- doesn't make a difference.

My brother in law just told me to go to a truck stop on a hot day and one of those guys that polish semi trailer aluminum tanks could get these clean no problem. I'm doubtful of this.

Please, somebody tell me you've had this issue with aluminum wheels and that you have a solution. I've attached several pictures for review.

Thank you so much,

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Wheels -- Please Help!-img_6309.jpg   Aluminum Wheels -- Please Help!-img_6310.jpg   Aluminum Wheels -- Please Help!-img_6306.jpg  
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Got Retrofit?

Those lips are likely clear coated. What you would have to do is remove that layer of clear then either reclear or polish the bare aluminum from time to time.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM

it's slight noticable of the water stain but problem is you got a black painted rim, and yes it's going to have hard water stain on it, which is very difficult to remove since you have a black paint and it's gonna show, and secondly that it's always going to be expose from the road element as grime, water, grease and dirt.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you

Thank you both for the responses.

On the clear coat response -- how do I go about removing it? They were shiniy once upon a time and have just gotten progressively worse. If there was/is a clear coat -- how did this grime, dirt, water, etc get underneathe it?

On the black painted rim response -- I'm not concerned with water marks on the black part of the wheel -- I'm concerned with the aluminum lip. Not sure how to answer your question.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Seanology
Thank you both for the responses.

On the clear coat response -- how do I go about removing it? They were shiniy once upon a time and have just gotten progressively worse. If there was/is a clear coat -- how did this grime, dirt, water, etc get underneathe it?
You sand it off.
Or use a paint thinner.
Or (best method) - take it to a reputable wheel repair shop to refinish it properly with a stronger clear coat, or a high polish.

The dirt didn't get under the clear, it got embedded INTO the clear coat.