General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pop Charger Help....help me out here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 09:45 AM

I just got my K&N pop charger in the mail/fedex.
It doesn't say K&N on it...did I get ripped off? I really don't care what it says but I would just like to know if it should say K&N.
Second, I know that JWT Pop Chargers come with a bar that holds it up. The K&N didn't come with that. Will it still hold up or do I need to leave the bottom piece of the stock air box in the car? If I do need to leave the bottom piece in, does it take away from the amount of air the filter sucks in?
Third, the company I bought the thing from didn't send me any nuts for the screws from the stock air box. Unfortunatley the nuts don't come out of the stock air box, they are welded in there. I tried going to the store(Home Depot) and buying some but they didn't have any to fit that size screw. So I just bought some 1/4 screws and nuts for them. Is this ok? Will this work?
Also, does the K&N give the same performance and sound as the JWT and Stillen ones?

Lots of questions....need the answers.

Thanks,
Roman
Old 11-15-2000, 10:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay, here is my attempt at it...

Dono if you got ripped off on the K&N. I believe genuine K&Ns have the K&N logo somewhere. But its okay. As long as its cotton and oiled it will be fine. Watch out though. A friend of mine got some crappy cotton intake by "Ractive" and that thing was bone dry! Must be oiled to catch dirt. Next, its best to have the bottom piece to prevent too much movement of the filter during startup and hard acceleration.
I'm pretty sure you can leave the filter hanging there depending on how heavy the filter element is. Okay, I take it they have you some cheapie adaptor plate. I wouldn't know what to tell ya there. Go to Home Depot or something and find the right size nuts for the screws. How much was the kit that you got? I believe the real Jim Wolf Technology Pop Charger is about 100 dollars now. And you get everything you need. No headaches. HUGE filter. And a beautiful velocity stack airhorn. Maybe you should consider returning your current kit. And buying a real JWT Pop Charger. As for sound. I would assume your intake will sound a little bit different than the Stillen and Jim Wolf ones. A little. Probably because the Stillen and JWT intakes use huge filter elements and a smooth velocity stack.

ZuM
Old 11-15-2000, 11:09 AM

Hmmm. Roman, do u want to hold up with filter installation so I can take a look at it tomorrow? I have an idea how K&N filter looks, but not sure if there should be any logos. I think only the Stillen one actually has a stillen logo. I didn't see anything on JWT popcharger.
So show it to me tomorrow when we wax our cars. If they didn't even include nuts and a bar, maybe you should consider returning it. I mean it wasn't much cheaper than JWT intake, was it?
Old 11-15-2000, 11:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Roman

Originally posted by roman
It doesn't say K&N on it...did I get ripped off? I really don't care what it says but I would just like to know if it should say K&N.
Second, I know that JWT Pop Chargers come with a bar that holds it up. The K&N didn't come with that. Will it still hold up or do I need to leave the bottom piece of the stock air box in the car? If I do need to leave the bottom piece in, does it take away from the amount of air the filter sucks in?
Third, the company I bought the thing from didn't send me any nuts for the screws from the stock air box. Unfortunatley the nuts don't come out of the stock air box, they are welded in there. I tried going to the store(Home Depot) and buying some but they didn't have any to fit that size screw. So I just bought some 1/4 screws and nuts for them. Is this ok? Will this work?
Also, does the K&N give the same performance and sound as the JWT and Stillen ones?

Thanks,
Roman

Roman, sorry to hear you got screwed on couple of parts missing out of your purchase. Who did you buy it from? I hope next time you give me a call, cuz I could have saved you some money and hassle on your intake purchase. Anyway, as far as I know K&N makes both filters with Logos and without, so I suppose you will never know. As far as the support bar goes, it is the best idea to get a backstrap from your local Home Depot (like the ones you use on back of old stereos. This works good. And if I am not mistaking, the bolts that might fit your intake are available if you find ones with flat ends (I don't know if that makes sense). I hope this helps at least a bit.
Alex
Southwest Autoworks
sales@southwestautoworks.com
602-795-1800
Old 11-15-2000, 11:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Roman

ok well just a FYI..the back strap for the radio is too thin and it won't support the filter w/ the adapter correctly and it'll rub against something. unless your filter and the adapter is very light.
Dan

Originally posted by Max8MyCash

Thanks,
Roman

Roman, sorry to hear you got screwed on couple of parts missing out of your purchase. Who did you buy it from? I hope next time you give me a call, cuz I could have saved you some money and hassle on your intake purchase. Anyway, as far as I know K&N makes both filters with Logos and without, so I suppose you will never know. As far as the support bar goes, it is the best idea to get a backstrap from your local Home Depot (like the ones you use on back of old stereos. This works good. And if I am not mistaking, the bolts that might fit your intake are available if you find ones with flat ends (I don't know if that makes sense). I hope this helps at least a bit.
Alex
Southwest Autoworks
602-795-1800
Old 11-15-2000, 11:39 AM

The filter on the POP Charger is not a K&N. The filter is made by S&B. But its the same contruction. Same materials.
I think as long as its oiled and good quality cotton. Its all good.

ZuM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Hmmm. Roman, do u want to hold up with filter installation so I can take a look at it tomorrow? I have an idea how K&N filter looks, but not sure if there should be any logos. I think only the Stillen one actually has a stillen logo. I didn't see anything on JWT popcharger.
So show it to me tomorrow when we wax our cars. If they didn't even include nuts and a bar, maybe you should consider returning it. I mean it wasn't much cheaper than JWT intake, was it?
Old 11-15-2000, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Re: Re: Roman

Originally posted by DanNY
ok well just a FYI..the back strap for the radio is too thin and it won't support the filter w/ the adapter correctly and it'll rub against something. unless your filter and the adapter is very light.
Dan

Thanks,
Roman

Alex
Southwest Autoworks
602-795-1800

DanNY,
I beg to differ, since the first intake setup I had I used a backstrap from a local Home Depot, and it worked just fine.
My $0.02
Alex
Old 11-15-2000, 12:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Roman

ok it might work for you but if you have a heavy intake..(stillen or JWT) the strap will not hold. the billet adapter is just too heavy for it. but if it works for you then more power to u. was the strap the same material (thickness) as a backstrap for the radio??
Dan

Originally posted by DanNY
Dan

Thanks,
Roman

Alex
Southwest Autoworks
602-795-1800

DanNY,
I beg to differ, since the first intake setup I had I used a backstrap from a local Home Depot, and it worked just fine.
My $0.02
Alex
Old 11-15-2000, 01:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggetions.
I went to Nissan dealer and got the nuts for the bolts from them...so that's all set.
The only thing I am concerned about right now is the oil part. How do I know if the filter is oiled or not? It looks pretty dry to me. Should I go and buy some oil for it or something?
The whole thing cost me $96 delivered to my door. I figure I saved about $20-$30 by buying this one.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Roman

Andy: I don't want to be a **** but I really want to install it today and see how it goes. I don't think I can wait till tomorow....too anxious. If you want you can come by my place and check it out tonight, we can play a few games of pool also(I got the pool table). I'll call you tonight and get the directions to your place.
Old 11-15-2000, 02:47 PM

You can tell if its oiled or not by looking closely and seeing if its a little moist. As for saving money.. I think you saved more like 10 dollars dude. Depending where you get the JWT POP Charger from. Sorry.

ZuM

Thanks for all the suggetions.
I went to Nissan dealer and got the nuts for the bolts from them...so that's all set.
The only thing I am concerned about right now is the oil part. How do I know if the filter is oiled or not? It looks pretty dry to me. Should I go and buy some oil for it or something?
The whole thing cost me $96 delivered to my door. I figure I saved about $20-$30 by buying this one.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Roman
Old 11-15-2000, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
You can tell if its oiled or not by looking closely and seeing if its a little moist. As for saving money.. I think you saved more like 10 dollars dude. Depending where you get the JWT POP Charger from. Sorry.

ZuM

$10 is a lot of money U can buy like 5-6 gallons of 93 octane gas and drive more than 100 miles...
Old 11-15-2000, 06:09 PM

Ok...I just installed it.
What a pain in the...neck to take out the stock air box.
What I did is leave the bottom piece of the air box in there and use a tie(one of those zip ties) to attach the filter to a metal piece next to it. That way it won't bounce around.
I am not sure if it's oiled so I might just go buy a bottle of olive oil..no just kidding....K&N oil and lube. that sucker. Anyone have any advise on how to lube it or does the bottle have directions?
Thanks for the help.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:38 PM

It has directions.. Just don't over oil! On the first pass. Don't spray into every pleat like it says. Just wave it around and try to get it everwhere. You can always add oil. Its a pain in the butt and a half if you make the filter drip with oil.

ZuM
Old 11-15-2000, 07:50 PM

Where did you order it from? My "OBX Racing" intake is a S&B filter w/a MAF adapter. I have the invoice to prove it & for the $45 cost, I had to fashion my own bracket & temp sensor mount.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:57 PM

Ok...I just installed it.
What a pain in the...neck to take out the stock air box.
What I did is leave the bottom piece of the air box in there and use a tie(one of those zip ties) to attach the filter to a metal piece next to it. That way it won't bounce around.
I am not sure if it's oiled so I might just go buy a bottle of olive oil..no just kidding....K&N oil and lube. that sucker. Anyone have any advise on how to lube it or does the bottle have directions?
Thanks for the help.

Whoa... I'm not so sure the zip-tie method is a good one. The engine rocks and rolls under hard acceleration, flexing in its mounts. (The exhaust has a flex section in it so the engine can rock and roll without binding against the parts that are hard-mounted to the car.) If you tie the filter assembly firmly to a hard point, won't the filter get yanked off the engine under hard acceleration? At best, that filter will be straining against the zip-tie all the time... Know what I mean? Goodluck.