General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:59 AM

Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

MAN...it sounds AWESOME....IMO better than the pop alone OR the CAI alone...I just RIPS....plus I don't fell much of a power loss after 5.5K rpms now.....I LIKE....
Old 02-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
MAN...it sounds AWESOME....IMO better than the pop alone OR the CAI alone...I just RIPS....plus I don't fell much of a power loss after 5.5K rpms now.....I LIKE....
I did the same thing with my '01... This setup is even louder then my old setup when I had a CAI... When I go WOT this thing just SCREAMS!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 PM
SLOW

yeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 02-20-2002, 12:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm waiting for my upper portion form warpspeed, can't wait. I think that this is the single best intake setup out there, and until the frankencar intake comes for the 4th gen, this will be the way to go, IMO.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I'm waiting for my upper portion form warpspeed, can't wait. I think that this is the single best intake setup out there, and until the frankencar intake comes for the 4th gen, this will be the way to go, IMO.
Won't the Franken Intake be the same like having a upper PR tube attached to a stillen/jwt cone?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nismo1989's selling something similar for 3rd gens. Big 2.5-3" tube replaces the OE intake tract and a popcharger on the end. Pulls hard and sounds good. I'm waiting for mine.

Is the PR tube metal, silicon, plastic or rubber?
-Justin
Old 02-20-2002, 02:27 PM

Nismo1989's selling something similar for 3rd gens. Big 2.5-3" tube replaces the OE intake tract and a popcharger on the end. Pulls hard and sounds good. I'm waiting for mine.

-Justin
Old 02-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Badaxxima

-Justin
The upper PR tube is metal like the rest of the CAI, and you can get it in any color want. Mine is black because my engine bay is all black, but it definitely makes things look cleaner. My only advice about putting in the upper pipe is to go buy a foot of 1/4" radiator hose because the upper part doesnt like to bend after being in the same position for so long.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 02:39 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I can't hear my CAI anymore...stupid duals
Old 02-20-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I can't hear my CAI anymore...stupid duals
Do you have any sound clips?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

The upper PR tube is metal like the rest of the CAI, and you can get it in any color want. Mine is black because my engine bay is all black, but it definitely makes things look cleaner. My only advice about putting in the upper pipe is to go buy a foot of 1/4" radiator hose because the upper part doesnt like to bend after being in the same position for so long.
-hype
are you talking about the hose that connects the intake to the Idle Air control valve?
Old 02-20-2002, 03:04 PM

So you seemed to have gained more power or just more noise?

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 03:08 PM

Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

Originally posted by SuDZ

So you seemed to have gained more power or just more noise?

SuDZ
both
Old 02-20-2002, 03:15 PM

are you talking about the hose that connects the intake to the Idle Air control valve?
Excuse my ignorance, but the it's the hose that runs from the futher of the 2 hoses. I think it's the idle air control valve. When I put the PR tube on my old hose was 1) not long enough and 2) was bent at a strange angle from being on there in the same position for so long. Redmax had the same problem when he installed his CAI.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 03:20 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I have had my CAI for almost a year and after looking at dyno plots, cars with and without, and the infamous "butt" dyno I do not feel or see the 5.5 k rpm loss you speak of.

I am just curious how you came to this conclusion?

Thanks bags
Old 02-20-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by bags533

I have had my CAI for almost a year and after looking at dyno plots, cars with and without, and the infamous "butt" dyno I do not feel or see the 5.5 k rpm loss you speak of.

Thanks bags
Your butt needs a tune up. J/K heh heh.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

Originally posted by Yoritomo
Your butt needs a tune up. J/K heh heh.
Is there any reason that the name of that IMG is ky.gif? I really hope that doesn't stand for Kentucky.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:35 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

BagsYoritomo
Old 02-20-2002, 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

BagsYoritomo
Ditto
Old 02-20-2002, 05:03 PM

Thanks bags
in every MODDED 4th gen 5-speed I've driven when you wind out FIRST gear there is a VERY obvious drop off in power after 5.5K RPMS....you can only really notice with your "butt" in first because it is VERY apparent...it's like it pulls like hell up to 5.5..and then kind of lets off a little....this phenomonon is pretty much gone after the addidition of the middle section...I'll find out what it does up top on my REAL dyno on Saturday...
Old 02-20-2002, 05:08 PM

in every MODDED 4th gen 5-speed I've driven when you wind out FIRST gear there is a VERY obvious drop off in power after 5.5K RPMS....you can only really notice with your "butt" in first because it is VERY apparent...it's like it pulls like hell up to 5.5..and then kind of lets off a little....this phenomonon is pretty much gone after the addidition of the middle section...I'll find out what it does up top on my REAL dyno on Saturday...
Im gonna dyno more than your lowly 4th Gen
Old 02-20-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

He's not as pudgy as you are either
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

good for you....considering you have 32 more hp from the factory....too bad you can't keep up on the street or at the track...
Old 02-20-2002, 05:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

good for you....considering you have 32 more hp from the factory....too bad you can't keep up on the street or at the track...
You have a ton more mods than I do and a lighter car.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:38 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Good thing I am modded then. But I am NOT a 5-speed. So maybe there is a benefit to being an AUTO . Hmmm.... after a little research of the stack of crap I have, I do not have a dyno sheet with your name on it. Do you have one that I could view/download?

I would like to see the comparison as well. Maybe a little something for me to do the next time I am at the dyno. To see how the Auto handles that.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2002, 06:22 PM

Good thing I am modded then. But I am NOT a 5-speed. So maybe there is a benefit to being an AUTO . Hmmm.... after a little research of the stack of crap I have, I do not have a dyno sheet with your name on it. Do you have one that I could view/download?

I would like to see the comparison as well. Maybe a little something for me to do the next time I am at the dyno. To see how the Auto handles that.

Thanks for the info
I won't have a dyno until this saturday...at which point I'll post my results....Nealoc187 will be dynoing too....and he has just the popcharger...so comparing the CURVES we'll see if there is less drop off with the cai midsection.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting popcharger

I won't have a dyno until this saturday...at which point I'll post my results....Nealoc187 will be dynoing too....and he has just the popcharger...so comparing the CURVES we'll see if there is less drop off with the cai midsection.
I'm guessing that at high engine speeds, the stock intake tract creates a lot of turbulence and restriction for the fast moving air. Hence the dropoff after 5500RPM.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting pop

Originally posted by Badaxxima

I'm guessing that at high engine speeds, the stock intake tract creates a lot of turbulence and restriction for the fast moving air. Hence the dropoff after 5500RPM.
actually most of the drop off is due to the long intake manifold runners on the 4th gen.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just installed middle section of PR CAI with my exsisting pop

actually most of the drop off is due to the long intake manifold runners on the 4th gen.
Well yeah, I know the engines are torque-tuned, but I was offering a theory to justify others' claims of the reduced dropoff after replacing the OEM intake tract.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

you just made a frankencar intake but it cost you like 100 for the JWT and 100 for the PR piece. me=145
Old 02-20-2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
you just made a frankencar intake but it cost you like 100 for the JWT and 100 for the PR piece. me=145
Yeah well if it ever comes out people would be able to buy it
We're the ones hyping everything for you :P
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

Yeah well if it ever comes out people would be able to buy it
We're the ones hyping everything for you :P
-hype
aLRIGHT STOP TWISTING MY ARM. I'LL MAKE SOME TOMORROW AND GET SOME ADAPTERS. I'M GONNA go a little differenct for the 4th gens. polished adapters and powdercoated pipes. i have a different source for my 4th gen adapters.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:15 PM

yep
Old 02-20-2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
ummm.. do you have a velocity stack too, or is it just a filter??
Old 02-20-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I did the same thing with my '01... This setup is even louder then my old setup when I had a CAI... When I go WOT this thing just SCREAMS!!!!
Hi, did you solve your CEL problem by switching back to JWT??? did you change any new O2 sensors???

Thanks
Old 02-21-2002, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Hi, did you solve your CEL problem by switching back to JWT??? did you change any new O2 sensors???

Thanks
Yeah, with the Cai it seemed to just give me problems.. CEL was giving me that Bank1 & Bank2 were running lean.. So I just tooked out the Cai.. Took the upper tubing from the PR Cai & attached my JWT to the end of it. Now everything is back like the way it was when I bought the car. CEL is GONE and everything is back to normal. And it's louder too now
Old 02-21-2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Victim64

ummm.. do you have a velocity stack too, or is it just a filter??
no there is no velocity stack, the smooth straight tubing serves almost the same purpose. emax has a stillen intake with a franken ram section and he thinks it causes turbulence in the intake path, he's gonna get the regular adapter. the
tube is slightly longer so it increase the velocity of the air slightly.