General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Variable Intake from NZ thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by iansw
All I know is it added +25hp at the wheel to MardisGrasMax's ride.

That's why I'm being the test monkey for it for NA cars before I sell it.

And those hp numbers are the Imperial Numbers.

IanS
Hey, I don't mind being a ginny pig either. I mean I'll be glad to forward you the money for the piece right away without any results. Because I'm certain it will work and even have like 10-15 Hp at the wheels would definitely be worth 450-500 bucks...probably the best HP gain for the money, if your staying naturally aspirated.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

Hey, I don't mind being a ginny pig either. I mean I'll be glad to forward you the money for the piece right away without any results. Because I'm certain it will work and even have like 10-15 Hp at the wheels would definitely be worth 450-500 bucks...probably the best HP gain for the money, if your staying naturally aspirated.
I'll keep that in mind. But I am still waiting for a picture.

The proof is in the pudding, so they say.

Other people are already on my prority list because they helped get this going. They'll be the first to get it after I prove it.

If you want to risk it and get it beforehand, we can talk about that. But no refunds if it doesn't work.

IanS
Old 03-10-2002, 05:10 PM

The other reason is what if my supplier is shady and screws me over?

At least then it's only me being screwed over.

I'd rather wait until I have one in my hands before ordering for everyone else.

IanS
Old 03-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mishmosh

If the ME Max's don't have a CAT and possibly a different Y-pipe without the precats--more like aftermarket Y-pipes, I am wondering what kind of gains we are talking about. Maybe only +15hp on the high end?

...I guess only time will tell.
Our VQs with the ME VI will probably have a similar horsepower output as the Japanese A32 Cefiro Excimo 30 G's VQ30DE, which is 214HP SAE (crank).
Old 03-10-2002, 07:56 PM

The only way we're gonna know is if someone who is bone stock dynos it.

I will not be bone stock, as I have a Pop-Charger and Y-pipe.

But I'll do several runs without, and several runs with.

Thanks,
IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 07:57 AM

Is THIS the part we're looking for?

http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u1.jpg
http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u2.jpg
http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u3.jpg

Price is going to be about $465+shipping from my house to yours. This will include all butterflies, moving parts, the cover and gaskets, etc. These are brand new.

I'm NOT SURE if it includes bolts, but I can get those locally and sell them with the package if need be. Bolts are cheap. Waiting to hear back about that.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 08:09 AM

And they're brand spanking new?? You've hit the gold mine!

DW

Price is going to be about $465+shipping from my house to yours. This will include all butterflies, moving parts, the cover and gaskets, etc. These are brand new.

I'm NOT SURE if it includes bolts, but I can get those locally and sell them with the package if need be. Bolts are cheap. Waiting to hear back about that.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 08:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

OOOh He// YEAH!

Are there any visual/physical appearance differences betwen the US and ME manifolds?
Old 03-12-2002, 08:38 AM

Well, my supplier doesn't speak great English, so he never said whether or not they were new, but I'm 90% sure that they are.

The definately have been refinished and polished if they are used.

Anyway, I will start a Group Deal.

The one in the picture is on it's way to my place. I'll get it, install it, and verify all the parts are included.

Then I'm off to the Dyno.

I will then post in the Group Buy Forum with Dyno Results for NA Cars, and start setting up a group buy.

I will see what kinds of discounts I can get if we buy a bunch at once.

The good news is that It has been found, and for far less than $650.00.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 08:53 AM

I'm in if it works!!!!

Good work!!

Well, my supplier doesn't speak great English, so he never said whether or not they were new, but I'm 90% sure that they are.

The definately have been refinished and polished if they are used.

Anyway, I will start a Group Deal.

The one in the picture is on it's way to my place. I'll get it, install it, and verify all the parts are included.

Then I'm off to the Dyno.

I will then post in the Group Buy Forum with Dyno Results for NA Cars, and start setting up a group buy.

I will see what kinds of discounts I can get if we buy a bunch at once.

The good news is that It has been found, and for far less than $650.00.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 08:56 AM

IanS
Awesome just make sure they're not replicas
Old 03-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Beware

Although that is indeed the manifold you are looking for--and looking mighty new too--the pictures do not have the necessary hardware for proper functioning. You need the top cover, the gasket, the butterfly valves and the vacuum canister (lever). The vacuum actuator system can be rigged up like Mardigrasmax's with parts here at home. Just make sure you have all the aforementioned parts.

Roadbeast looked into getting it from his Agent/Dealer too and although the part was new, it did not have the other hardware which may jack the price up a couple hundred US$.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Beware

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Although that is indeed the manifold you are looking for--and looking mighty new too--the pictures do not have the necessary hardware for proper functioning. You need the top cover, the gasket, the butterfly valves and the vacuum canister (lever). The vacuum actuator system can be rigged up like Mardigrasmax's with parts here at home. Just make sure you have all the aforementioned parts.

Roadbeast looked into getting it from his Agent/Dealer too and although the part was new, it did not have the other hardware which may jack the price up a couple hundred US$.
Totally agree...I think that that piece is just the manifold that it isn't including the butterfly and the lid to that manifold. So, you might want to double check that it has the buttefly and the lid to that manifold. Otherwise, it isn't going to work (stating the obvious). And that is why they are a little more pricey. Because it looks brand new and that is probably the price for a new one without the hardware. Just through all my research I've been doing. Good luck hopefully he is including all the stuff you need. That would be a great price if so.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:34 AM

Re: Beware

The price I list includes all hardware. Butterflies, rod, valve.

It does not include the vacuum canister or MAP/Baro Switch or the RPM Switch.

I'm checking right now to ensure that the bolts needed are included, but I think the existing bolts on our engines will work anyway. If I need bolts, I think the diagram I have lists the Nissan Part Numbers (10 Digits). Could someone tell me if that is correct (see link below).

Everything included in the price is highlighted in Green or Red on the diagram in the link below....

Anyone else see anything I need, besides the gasket, (14035P) which is obvious.

http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/diagram.jpg
Old 03-12-2002, 10:37 AM

Re: Re: Beware

It does not include the vacuum canister or MAP/Baro Switch or the RPm Switch.

I'm checking right now to ensure that the bolts needed are included, but I think the existing bolts on our engines will work anyway.

That is great to hear. Can't wait til you get it installed I'm definitely interested.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Beware

It does not include the vacuum canister or MAP/Baro Switch or the RPM Switch.

I'm checking right now to ensure that the bolts needed are included, but I think the existing bolts on our engines will work anyway. If I need bolts, I think the diagram I have lists the Nissan Part Numbers (10 Digits). Could someone tell me if that is correct (see link below).

Everything included in the price is highlighted in Green or Red on the diagram in the link below....

The only thing I can't really tell is if the highlighted piece is actually the butterfly valve that you need. Because it is off the screen. It looks like the hilighted areas is pointing to nuts and not the butterfly itself. But if they say it is coming with it...maybe they should send the whoel picture so you can tell.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Beware

The only thing I can't really tell is if the highlighted piece is actually the butterfly valve that you need. Because it is off the screen. It looks like the hilighted areas is pointing to nuts and not the butterfly itself. But if they say it is coming with it...maybe they should send the whoel picture so you can tell.

Try the link again. It should have the whole picture in it now.

Remember to hit "Ctrl-F5" in your browser to do a full refresh.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beware

Try the link again. It should have the whole picture in it now.

Remember to hit "Ctrl-F5" in your browser to do a full refresh.

IanS
Looks like you have everything you need...can't wait til you get and get it running so we can get one also.

Thanks for your hard work Ian,

John
Old 03-12-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beware

Looks like you have everything you need...can't wait til you get and get it running so we can get one also.

Thanks for your hard work Ian,

John
Well, I've now hit a small problem.

I wired the money to his account, but because of current Customs issues in the ME, it oculd take up to 2 weeks just to get there.

So it's going to be awhile before I get the part. But I will be doing a group deal shortly afterwards. I'll start one for 10 people, then go on from there, depending on Supply/Demand

Price will definately be $469.00

Hope that's not too much.

IanS

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 03:12 PM

I went to MardiGrasMax's site to see the pics he has of his installed.

THis is all I got:

"Pictures of components for install of ME/VI vacuum switching system.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

What's his problem?

Anyone have those pictures?

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beware

Well, I've now hit a small problem.

I wired the money to his account, but because of current Customs issues in the ME, it oculd take up to 2 weeks just to get there.

So it's going to be awhile before I get the part. But I will be doing a group deal shortly afterwards. I'll start one for 10 people, then go on from there, depending on Supply/Demand

Price will definately be $469.00

Hope that's not too much.

IanS

IanS
Customs issue in the ME??????

Exaclty which country did you order from? If its from Dubai, UAE somethings up. Its pretty much the easiest country in the world to sell anything from.........
Old 03-12-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beware

Originally posted by Finality

Customs issue in the ME??????

Exaclty which country did you order from? If its from Dubai, UAE somethings up. Its pretty much the easiest country in the world to sell anything from.........
Well, my bank said UP TO 2 weeks. I'm just trying to keep you all informed. It could take as little as 48 hours.

IanS
Old 03-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Ian,

Check your email.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Sports Button FTW

loudness?

dam this thread is long..450 for 30 hp? i'm down, but gotta start saving...anyway, how loud is this badboy gonna be? louder than y-pipe/new exhaust system/CAI combination?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:17 PM

Re: loudness?

You're not going to see 30 hp unless you're running boost.

Originally posted by meccanoble
dam this thread is long..450 for 30 hp? i'm down, but gotta start saving...anyway, how loud is this badboy gonna be? louder than y-pipe/new exhaust system/CAI combination?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: loudness?

Originally posted by Shadow
You're not going to see 30 hp unless you're running boost.

I dunno...I've heard some people give theories that it should give more hp than boosted does, since boosted cars are so efficient with air in the first place.

We'll just have to see.

As far as 30hp, I doubt that, but won't be surprised to see 22-28hp.

IanS
Old 03-13-2002, 02:00 AM

id have to go with jeff on this one more gains on boost, since its providing more air to "flow' better.. short runners are good for gains, but you still need more air as well..
Old 03-13-2002, 05:42 AM

If you add this VI to a stock Gen4 motor with 190 crank HP, then put on a Gen 5 muffler, (This mod would go hand in hand with the VI) would it not be reasonable to expect, say, 95% of the Gen 5's ouput of 227 crank hp? That would be 215 hp, an increase of 25 hp over stock. I think it's doable, especially since this VI addresses the Gen 4 motor's primary weakness,loss of power up top, and adds all its power right there after 5300 rpm. Even a mild increase in airflow efficeiency at 5300 rpm and above should produce very good results.

I think boosted cars would do better to simply have a way bigger intake manifold system, because they are simply shoving that air in They need a path of least resistance, period, no fancy shapes like this manifold. It was designed for an NA vehicle.

That's my theory anyways. Soon to find out.

DW
Old 03-13-2002, 06:15 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by dwapenyi
If you add this VI to a stock Gen4 motor with 190 crank HP, then put on a Gen 5 muffler, (This mod would go hand in hand with the VI) would it not be reasonable to expect, say, 95% of the Gen 5's ouput of 227 crank hp? That would be 215 hp, an increase of 25 hp over stock. I think it's doable, especially since this VI addresses the Gen 4 motor's primary weakness,loss of power up top, and adds all its power right there after 5300 rpm. Even a mild increase in airflow efficeiency at 5300 rpm and above should produce very good results.

I think boosted cars would do better to simply have a way bigger intake manifold system, because they are simply shoving that air in They need a path of least resistance, period, no fancy shapes like this manifold. It was designed for an NA vehicle.

That's my theory anyways. Soon to find out.

DW

Ok, and if the muffler ads 5-8hp then the VI would be 17-20hp? I got 8hp swapping in mine but that's above normal. $469+install for ~20hp still sounds impressive. It all comes back to the NA dyno results
Old 03-13-2002, 06:28 AM

Wow! I just checked your dyno on your cardomain page. I didn't think the 5th gen muffler would do that much! But then, maybe it's in conjunction with the GForce ECU and other mods. But nice! Anyways, since you already have the muffler, you should kick butt with this addition!

On a slightly different note, it would be interesting to see how the GForce ECU deals with the VI.

DW

Originally posted by BEJAY1

Ok, and if the muffler ads 5-8hp then the VI would be 17-20hp? I got 8hp swapping in mine but that's above normal. $469+install for ~20hp still sounds impressive. It all comes back to the NA dyno results
Old 03-13-2002, 07:21 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by dwapenyi

On a slightly different note, it would be interesting to see how the GForce ECU deals with the VI.

DW

I was thinking the same thing. ECU, VI, custom quartet of cams... hmmmmmm
Old 03-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Keven97SE

Re: loudness?

There should be no increase in noise. You might notice a tone change right when the intake switches over at ~5000 rpm (like turning from a low pitched rumble to a higher pitched one), but no increase in loudness. It is a stock Nissan part, and you know how they are about adding any bit of noise (not acceptable to them).

Originally posted by meccanoble

Old 03-13-2002, 08:02 AM

OK...now I'm getting a little worried.

I sent the guy the money at 5:00am his time, and scanned a copy of the recipt. I sent the copy of the receipt to him at 6:00am his time, waited all night (day for him), and he hasn't replied to any of it. It is now about 9:00pm his time.

Maybe he doesn't feel he needs to reply because in his eyes, the transaction is done, and there is no need to reply.

Maybe he's not replying because he knows the money is on the way, and can screw me now?

Dealing with culture in other countries can be a pain.

I'm probably being just paranoid.

IanS
Old 03-13-2002, 08:09 AM

Comfort yourself with the fact that he has a chance to sell 10 more, and he won't want to lose that opportunity.

DW

OK...now I'm getting a little worried.

I sent the guy the money at 5:00am his time, and scanned a copy of the recipt. I sent the copy of the receipt to him at 6:00am his time, waited all night (day for him), and he hasn't replied to any of it. It is now about 9:00pm his time.

Maybe he doesn't feel he needs to reply?

Maybe he's not replying because he knows the money is on the way, and can screw me now?

Dealing with culture in other countries can be a pain.

IanS
Old 03-13-2002, 09:11 PM

Anyone need pics of this installed?

http://www.cyberhub.net/vi/meinstalled.htm
Old 03-13-2002, 09:35 PM

Good luck to ya
Old 03-13-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Good luck to ya
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2002, 10:28 PM

whew! After reading this very long and exciting thread I need to take a nap! Ian, if and when you pull this off, I believe you will go down in my personal hero list. Just a couple more questions to add to the pile though.

If your supplier does pull through and you do a group deal, will this be a one time thing? I know you have gone to a ton of trouble so if you didnt want to bother doing it again I can understand fully.

Add my name to the list for sure if these or going to be in limited supply.

Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Danielsan

Add my name to the list for sure if these or going to be in limited supply.

Best of luck!
Well, I've got to get it installed and working first. It would go faster with *cough* certain people's assistance, but they don't want to play today for some unknown reason.

Ayway, I've got 4 or 5 people who know VQ's like they know their girlfriends helping me with it, so that should work out fine.

As far as the group deal, it all depends on supply/demand. This guy I'm dealing with doesn't speak English well, and rarely answers my secondary questions. I have asked 3 times how many he has in stock, and he only answers the first part of my E-Mail, and not the secondary questions.

I tried sending him just the questions, but he started getting impatient with me and said only "Plz wait, back we will".

So depending on how many they have, and how easy I can deal with them, is how many I'll be selling.

I think in his garbled English he did try to say he is a direct supplier from Nissan, so I think he can get an unlimited amount. But it was badly garbled and hard to understand.

He said:
"we are supplying these parts regularly.So,first will have to make sure parts."

IanS
Old 03-14-2002, 06:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ian

First I would like to thank you for all the work you are putting into this!!!! Assuming everything works out this will be one of the most anticipated group buys ever!

In the calm before the storm I would like to ask a few questions.

1. You have given a price of $469 + domestic shipping. Does this price include your profit and shipping from the ME?

2. How will you accept payment for the group deal i.e. paypal, credit card, check/money order?

Quick Reply: Variable Intake from NZ thread