General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Variable Intake from NZ thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe the guy doesn't understand english at all and will ship you a brick in a box?
Old 03-14-2002, 06:55 AM

Sometimes you can read a language enough to understand it and comprehend what the other person is saying, but have trouble getting all the grammar correct when you try to answer. I hope this is the case. Only time will tell.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by speedtrip
Ian

First I would like to thank you for all the work you are putting into this!!!! Assuming everything works out this will be one of the most anticipated group buys ever!

In the calm before the storm I would like to ask a few questions.

1. You have given a price of $469 + domestic shipping. Does this price include your profit and shipping from the ME?

2. How will you accept payment for the group deal i.e. paypal, credit card, check/money order?
Yes, $469.00 is how much it cost you. Plus shipping from my door to your door. Shipping from the ME and my "profit" are already in there. The only add-on I can think of is the 2% PayPal fees.

I'll probably be using PayPal, unless someone can tell me a better way.

IanS
Old 03-14-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
maybe the guy doesn't understand english at all and will ship you a brick in a box?
He sent me pics already.

www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u1.jpg
www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u2.jpg
www.cyberhub.net/intake/38u3.jpg
www.cyberhub.net/intake/diagram.jpg

So I know it's the right parts.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

For the life of me, I still can't figure out how this intake manifold works. There are no secondary short runners like are used in the 2000-2002 Maxima, SHO, or Contour SVT. The butterflys open to the chamber, but where's the air coming from and why isn't there another set of runners? How is this possible that the intake makes more topend power when it still uses the long and poor breathing runners. The intake has been proved to work, I just don't understand the concept.

Dave
Old 03-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ian-

Tell me what I need to do to get on this list for the manifold once you get yours and everything works. I've got the money and can get it you anyway you like.

Dave
Old 03-14-2002, 08:58 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Ian-

Tell me what I need to do to get on this list for the manifold once you get yours and everything works. I've got the money and can get it you anyway you like.

Dave
Ditto
Old 03-14-2002, 09:00 AM

Part number list

Well, finally after emails back and forth with a Nissan dealer over seas I got the part numbers for all the pieces we need. I'm going to go to my Nissan Dealer here to see if they can order me the pieces. Just wanted to pass that on to everyone...because I remember reading that someone said if they get the part numbers they could have like Courtesy Nissan order it for us. So, just thought I would pass that on to you guys.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Iansw

Very impressive research and initiation on getting this done.

Before you set up the group deal. Make sure you trust your source. Dealing with (far) overseas business/people can be ticky, especially if problems arise. You will be taking a lot of liability unless you pass that on to group deal participants. Ordering 10-20 intakes at one time, for instance, is quite a pot of cash. I'd hate to see any victimization, especially since few if any of us know how to proceed in the event that a scam is perpetrated.

In any case, your efforts are appreciated by the group (just as Roadbeast's are). Just think hard about the prospects of a GD... you may be better off just revealing the source and letting individual members deal with their own orders. I'm curious why a dealer/agent over there doesn't accept credit card. Isn't mastercard/visa worldwide? Even if they charge 3% or whatever, at least it offers some protection.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:25 AM

By providing a 'pouch', so to speak, for the air to sit in, closer to the actual inlet, you shorten the intake path volumetrically, a cool trick. I'm sure someone can pipe in and clarify, cause I'm no expert on this. The shorter intake runners are better, but this is nice.

DW

For the life of me, I still can't figure out how this intake manifold works. There are no secondary short runners like are used in the 2000-2002 Maxima, SHO, or Contour SVT. The butterflys open to the chamber, but where's the air coming from and why isn't there another set of runners? How is this possible that the intake makes more topend power when it still uses the long and poor breathing runners. The intake has been proved to work, I just don't understand the concept.

Dave
Old 03-14-2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Part number list

Originally posted by Mr Cranman
Well, finally after emails back and forth with a Nissan dealer over seas I got the part numbers for all the pieces we need. I'm going to go to my Nissan Dealer here to see if they can order me the pieces. Just wanted to pass that on to everyone...because I remember reading that someone said if they get the part numbers they could have like Courtesy Nissan order it for us. So, just thought I would pass that on to you guys.
That was me. I contacted Courtesy about a month ago and they said if we had part numbers, they could get them. I also have a couple places (in Japan & MI) that said they could get them, just need the part #'s.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Keven97SE

You are correct. When the butterflies open, all the runners are then connected within the secondary plenum. The effective runner length then becomes the runner section between the butterflies and the engine (very short and a straight shot down). The effective plenum volume then becomes the main plenum plus all the runners between the main plenum and butterflies plus the volume of the secondary plenum (ie the effective plenum volume becomes very large).

Originally posted by dwapenyi
By providing a 'pouch', so to speak, for the air to sit in, closer to the actual inlet, you shorten the intake path volumetrically, a cool trick. I'm sure someone can pipe in and clarify, cause I'm no expert on this. The shorter intake runners are better, but this is nice.

DW

Old 03-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Please keep us posted on the part numbers needed for this project and verification that Courtesy can order these parts. I would much rather pay more, get something from a reputable shop in state shop, than order from some place that doesn't speak English.

Dave
Old 03-14-2002, 11:54 AM

Please keep us posted on the part numbers needed for this project and verification that Courtesy can order these parts. I would much rather pay more, get something from a reputable shop in state shop, than order from some place that doesn't speak English.

Dave
Especially if something is wrong or a part needs to be replaced. Makes everything a whole lot easier.

SuDZ
Old 03-14-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
You are correct. When the butterflies open, all the runners are then connected within the secondary plenum. The effective runner length then becomes the runner section between the butterflies and the engine (very short and a straight shot down). The effective plenum volume then becomes the main plenum plus all the runners between the main plenum and butterflies plus the volume of the secondary plenum (ie the effective plenum volume becomes very large).

Smart man. The engine is only a pump. The volume air available for combustion is the key. SC only increases the amount of air but with the extreme amount of air added we need to add extra fuel for safe operation. Your conclusion is identical to the one I formulated. In the beginning I was thinking if it didn't create a shorter path the the engine it was no good but the concern is volume of air available to enter the cylinder when the intake valve is open.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:36 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: Part number list

Originally posted by BSwithTF

That was me. I contacted Courtesy about a month ago and they said if we had part numbers, they could get them. I also have a couple places (in Japan & MI) that said they could get them, just need the part #'s.
You say Japan and MI, do you mean Michigan or ME as in the Middle East. Just curious, as I am in Michigan.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Part number list

damn i wonder what the full part numbers are for all the stuff i would need see what the employee discount on all this stuff would be. but like Nealoc said we need the full part numbers so he can call the in. can someone e-mail me the part numbers maybe i can see if i could put something toghter.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Part number list

Originally posted by jdmmax
damn i wonder what the full part numbers are for all the stuff i would need see what the employee discount on all this stuff would be. but like Nealoc said we need the full part numbers so he can call the in. can someone e-mail me the part numbers maybe i can see if i could put something toghter.
I sent the part numbers to BSwitchTF and JDMmax see what they can get, but here are the part numbers the nissan dealer in ME gave me I forgot to post them in my last post. I'm having a friend double check with a US dealer to make sure the collectors don't have the same part number but here is the list of parts needed.

Part Number Description
14517-38U00 Actuator – power valve
14512-38U00 Shaft Assy. - power valve
14513-38U00 Valve Power
14511-38U00 Pin Dowel
08310-61462
14515-40F00 O-ring seal
14010-38U02 Collector Manifold
14032-38U00 Intake Gasket
14033-38U00 Manifold Gasket Upper
14027-38U00 Intake Cover

I'm not trying to step on any toes just trying to help everyone out
Old 03-14-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part number list

I sent the part numbers to BSwitchTF and JDMmax see what they can get, but here are the part numbers the nissan dealer in ME gave me I forgot to post them in my last post. I'm having a friend double check with a US dealer to make sure the collectors don't have the same part number but here is the list of parts needed.

Part Number Description
14513-38U00 Valve Power
14511-38U00 Pin Dowel
08310-61462
14515-40F00 O-ring seal
14027-38U00 Intake Cover

NO, that's cool to release the part numbers to us!!!

I hope someone can find them new somewhere that's even cheaper that SPEAKS ENGLISH.

IanS
Old 03-15-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Part number list

Originally posted by Nealoc187

You say Japan and MI, do you mean Michigan or ME as in the Middle East. Just curious, as I am in Michigan.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant ME (Middle East).
Old 03-15-2002, 09:32 AM

OK...I'm not hearing anything new from this guy. I think he's getting mad and frustrated because of the language barrier and the time difference.

I know I am.

I'm still 90% sure he'll come through, and I'll get my part.
This guy owns his own parts store, and I have seen pictures of the product (in the store even), so like I said, I'm pretty sure there will be no problems.

So the question is this:

Would anyone be willing to do a GD on this part with the understanding that it is a risk?

Just to be sure, I would like to do the first GD with only 5 people that would be of the understanding that if this guy screws us over, I am not liable for the fallout. That means you are trusting me and this guy with your money.

Of course, once I get the part, that eliminates 99% of any forseeable problems with him, as he will have come through with me. But you have to trust me.

Some of you know me, some don't. It's up to you. I make good money in my own right, and have no reason to screw anyone.

I'm mostly just worried that if I send him the money for 20 intakes, that gives him more incentive to run with the money. Also, since there are NO refunds from him, that seems to be too much of a risk for my integrity if things go bad, and I don't want to be responsible for that. But then again, he has stated he does not want 50 people E-Mailing him for this part from the US. So I am sort of forced to be the supplier for now.

I know this sounds shady, and I swear to god it isn't. (Insert flame here) I will wire him the money as soon as I get it from you all. But I can't be responsible for what this guy does. You have to basically trust him through me. You will, in trade, be the first 5 people to get this.

What I'm basically saying is that the first few of you that get this from me, do so at your own risk. I just can't guage how trustworthy this guy is, although he seems legitimate. I will be able to guage moreso when I get my parts, if they are all the parts I ordered.

But I don't feel comfortable right now sending him $4000+ that is not my own money.

IanS
Old 03-15-2002, 10:12 AM

OK man!
how much?

what ALL does this include?

paypal still?

Peace
Old 03-15-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Prodeje79
OK man!
how much do I send?

what ALL does this get me again?

paypal still?

Peace
Yeah, PayPal.

I want to make sure I get mine, which I have already sent the money for first, so don't send me anything yet.

All the parts highlighted in color is what should be coming:

www.cyberhub.net/intake/diagram.jpg
Old 03-15-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part number list

Part Number Description
14513-38U00 Valve Power
14511-38U00 Pin Dowel
08310-61462
14515-40F00 O-ring seal
14027-38U00 Intake Cover

arggggh!!!!! i got nowhere i have to put down a $250 dollar deposit for parts dept to order the parts. and the parts guy said that we chouldn't get a price on the parts. so i have no idea how much it will cost. i don't want to putthis order in because i am affraid it may come out to be more than the current price which would be gay. the only things is that the parts i will get will be brand new. the parts guy said that this is way they get the parts for the sentra motors SR20(DET) like the exuast manifolds for the turbos so sorry guys i got nowhere lets see how everyone else is doing.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:51 AM

I'm not getting anywhere either.

I called my Nissan dealer and the guy told me the numbers weren't any good. He said nothing came up on his computer. I hope Courtesy can do something.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: I'm not getting anywhere either.

I called my Nissan dealer and the guy told me the numbers weren't any good. He said nothing came up on his computer. I hope Courtesy can do something.
Yeah My Nissan dealer said the same thing. Hopefully Courtesy can get it. I also sent the info to Rockie the guy in New Zealand to see what he can find. Hopefully we can get a US Nissan dealer to order it for us. But, so far no luck. Keep you guys posted
Old 03-15-2002, 04:19 PM

well the numbers arn't good here because the parts program dosn't include hose part numbers. because it was over seas. i relayed the part numbers to the parts manager that had a contact from overseas so im waiting on what he says.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:27 PM

That is interesting

Originally posted by jdmmax
well the numbers arn't good here because the parts program dosn't include hose part numbers. because it was over seas. i relayed the part numbers to the parts manager that had a contact from overseas so im waiting on what he says.
Cool can wait to see what the response is on the price.

-John
Old 03-15-2002, 10:04 PM

Like I said, they are being difficult.

I told them it may take up to two weeks to get the money. (from what Wells Fargo told me)

I then asked them some quesitons.....for the now 7th time....see the reply I got below.

*sigh*

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 8:56 PM
To: Ian Sweeney
Subject: Re: Please answer my questions

WE HAVE NOT RECD. THE MONEY.
PLS CONTACT WITH THE BANK

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 8:31 PM
Subject: Please answer my questions

I am waiting for answers on the following:

Will I be receiving all the parts discussed in the first diagram?
How much would part #14005E (Engine Cover) and all needed hardware (14017+A,14017) cost?

How long will it be to arrive here, once you get the money I sent?

Thanks again,
IanS
Old 03-20-2002, 08:48 AM

GOOD NEWS!

I have probably found them for about $400 + S&H.

They are not too sure about freight costs but this is part of the message I got.

"Weight will be about 5-10 kilos. Freight around $100 but not sure.
Engine VQ30D model A32 for 85-90 model quantity available
stamp 38 U"

Price quote was Dh 1475 however I think they may have excluded one part number "08310-61462" is the one they probably excluded anyone know what that is? The intake cover and the collector Manifold seem to be the most expensive of the bunch being $100 and $220 respectively.

It would be easier to simply ship everything from there directly to you guys since I dont want 30 pieces of this showing up

I could probably get one sent within the next 3 days for someone who is willing to be a guinea pig. Sending the money should not be a problem you can either send it to me via paypal or to them directly makes no difference.

If anyone likes I can try and get some pictures but I doubt that will happen in a timely manner.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: GOOD NEWS!

Originally posted by Finality

They are not too sure about freight costs but this is part of the message I got.

stamp 38 U"

Price quote was Dh 1475 however I think they may have excluded one part number "08310-61462" is the one they probably excluded anyone know what that is? The intake cover and the collector Manifold seem to be the most expensive of the bunch being $100 and $220 respectively.

It would be easier to simply ship everything from there directly to you guys since I dont want 30 pieces of this showing up

I could probably get one sent within the next 3 days for someone who is willing to be a guinea pig. Sending the money should not be a problem you can either send it to me via paypal or to them directly makes no difference.

If anyone likes I can try and get some pictures but I doubt that will happen in a timely manner.
How reputable does the source seem? Reason I ask is, how likely will it be that we can return it if it isn't the part we are looking for?
If you could, see if they'll send you some pictures.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:52 AM

Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

How reputable does the source seem? Reason I ask is, how likely will it be that we can return it if it isn't the part we are looking for?
If you could, see if they'll send you some pictures.
Very reputable. I actually know them personally hence the good price. As for returning I am not sure. Generally in the ME once you buy something its yours unless it doesn't work and in that case they just replace it. Trying to return something because you do not want is laughable. I have never ever seen anyone return something because they do not want it (and I lived there for 15 years of my life). Thus the need for a Guinea pig. I would do it myself but my knowledge of engines and installations are zip. Most work I ever did on my car is change my own brake pads and the front bumper + lights.

I'll see what I can do about pics.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:12 AM

Forgot to add that I doubt the shipping weight is 5-10 kgs but the freight rate seems accurate.

I am assuming that it will be sent by some sort of sea post and the distributed via land through a ground carrier. I will have to check up on that. Lead time looks like 3 weeks from time of order to your doorstep.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: GOOD NEWS!

stamp 38 U"

Hey just to let you know is that part number is a little screw/pin I think it hold the butterfly in place. But you can actually get that piece here in the States for like 1.00. Just to let you know.

When you said 85-90 model is that the year your talking about??? Because that is going to work on the 4th gen. We would need a 95-99 but I think they actually started making it in 96. Only concern on the part.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:56 AM

Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Hey just to let you know is that part number is a little screw/pin I think it hold the butterfly in place. But you can actually get that piece here in the States for like 1.00. Just to let you know.

When you said 85-90 model is that the year your talking about??? Because that is going to work on the 4th gen. We would need a 95-99 but I think they actually started making it in 96. Only concern on the part.
Checking up on the year now. I just talked to my contact and they said it was probably 95-00 not 85-90. They'll get back to me in about 24 hours regarding that.

As for pictures I doubt they will get it to me. But as long as those part numbers you have me are accurate it should not be a problem (I've known this guy all my life and still go seem em every couple of years). He is not the dealer itself but knows people who work there thus the problem of no pictures.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:11 AM

Just talked to them the parts are indeed for a 1995-2000 (ME models have different years for those that did not know).

Anyone wanna bea guinea pig?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:27 AM

I would be interested!!!

Just talked to them the parts are indeed for a 1995-2000 (ME models have different years for those that did not know).

Anyone wanna bea guinea pig?
I'm interested but I'm still giving Rockie the guy in New Zealand until Friday to get the part if he can't he'll refund my money. So, if that occurs I'll be interested in purchasing it. So, the rough total would be like 475-500??? Just wondering...why aren't you purchasing it???
Old 03-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: I would be interested!!!

I'm interested but I'm still giving Rockie the guy in New Zealand until Friday to get the part if he can't he'll refund my money. So, if that occurs I'll be interested in purchasing it. So, the rough total would be like 475-500??? Just wondering...why aren't you purchasing it???
My mechanical experience includes changing my front bumper and lights. I haven't even learnt how to change my oil yet . If I where able to get someone to do this for me for free I gladly would. However the nearest Dyno facility I know off is a good 130 miles away and I dont plan on going there till middle May, so there would be no way to test and verify the HP increase.

Base cost is just over $400 Shipping is a different matter just depends on how soon you want it. I am quite sure that the entire kit would weigh at least 35 pounds (just from the pictures I saw of it). I could have a kit @ your place by this Tuesday if you wanted it sent via Fedex from the ME. Not sure about the cost of that though. I know it will be quite expensive. I will talk to my friend about shipping costs since that is his primary business.

As for payment either send me the money or wire it to them directly makes no difference to me. Though paypal would have to add the 5% fee or whatever it is.

BTW I thought the NZ ones where not compatible with US Maxs?
Old 03-21-2002, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: I would be interested!!!

My mechanical experience includes changing my front bumper and lights. I haven't even learnt how to change my oil yet . If I where able to get someone to do this for me for free I gladly would. However the nearest Dyno facility I know off is a good 130 miles away and I dont plan on going there till middle May, so there would be no way to test and verify the HP increase.

Base cost is just over $400 Shipping is a different matter just depends on how soon you want it. I am quite sure that the entire kit would weigh at least 35 pounds (just from the pictures I saw of it). I could have a kit @ your place by this Tuesday if you wanted it sent via Fedex from the ME. Not sure about the cost of that though. I know it will be quite expensive. I will talk to my friend about shipping costs since that is his primary business.

As for payment either send me the money or wire it to them directly makes no difference to me. Though paypal would have to add the 5% fee or whatever it is.

BTW I thought the NZ ones where not compatible with US Maxs?
Yeah the NZ one isn't but I sent the money the end of Feb. while he was getting the piece...and then when he got it and sent pictures it was the wrong one. Because, I was working with him and had sent him the money he was going to try a few different outlets. And if nothing turned up he would send me the money back. So, I'm going to check his progress today.

Got one more question for you... so are these parts all new or are they used. Do you know if your friend could find a used one in like a salvage yard or junkyard. Maybe get the peice a little cheaper???

-John
Old 03-21-2002, 09:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: I would be interested!!!

Yeah the NZ one isn't but I sent the money the end of Feb. while he was getting the piece...and then when he got it and sent pictures it was the wrong one. Because, I was working with him and had sent him the money he was going to try a few different outlets. And if nothing turned up he would send me the money back. So, I'm going to check his progress today.

Got one more question for you... so are these parts all new or are they used. Do you know if your friend could find a used one in like a salvage yard or junkyard. Maybe get the peice a little cheaper???

-John
They are new. I could check but I really doubt finding these parts on mass would be easy. Besides he already told me that if its just one or two pieces its no big deal but after that he wants 10% on top of the parts cost since hes doing all the work (I neglected to tell him I was looking for 30~ pieces). Hopefully it will work out so everything goes straight from him to you guys, as well as most of the payments straight to him. I am not gaining from this deal in anyway just trying to hook you guys up

Quick Reply: Variable Intake from NZ thread