General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Variable Intake from NZ thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 12:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

POW!

Will be Dynoing this weekend.

IanS
Old 04-19-2002, 08:12 AM

Looks Great

Originally posted by iansw
POW!

IanS
Congrats....looks awesome...can't wait to see the numbers. Where did you get the bolts??? And how long did it take I would guess about 3-4 hours. Have you driven around with it open yet??? Again congrats.

-John
Old 04-19-2002, 08:31 AM

did you do a write up

POW!

IanS
Just wondering if you did a write up??? I'm sure it is pretty straight forward just wondering. So, when are you doing your dyno run tomorrow???
Old 04-19-2002, 08:32 AM

Re: Looks Great

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

Congrats....looks awesome...can't wait to see the numbers. Where did you get the bolts??? And how long did it take I would guess about 3-4 hours. Have you driven around with it open yet??? Again congrats.

-John
Nope, haven't driven it around yet.
Got the bolts at a local hardware store.

Install was 12 hours with 4 people working on it.

It is a pain in the A** to get the original Plenums off. Once those came off, it only took about 1.5 hours to get everything back on.

IanS
Old 04-19-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: did you do a write up

Just wondering if you did a write up??? I'm sure it is pretty straight forward just wondering. So, when are you doing your dyno run tomorrow???
Still have to schedule the Dyno Run. Hopefully I can get time on it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can.

Of course i will do a write-up assuming that the Dyno shows a good gain.

IanS
Old 04-19-2002, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: Looks Great

Nope, haven't driven it around yet.
Got the bolts at a local hardware store.

It is a pain in the A** to get the original Plenums off. Once those came off, it only took about 1.5 hours to get everything back on.

IanS
Holy cow 12 hours...Hopefully I won't have as much of a problem with the Plenums on my car...but my car is old 95' so I'm sure it will be a pain for me too. And I'll only have 2 people working on it. But I'm sure it will be worth it. You should take it for a nice test drive and tell us how the dyno butt likes it.

-John
Old 04-19-2002, 08:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Re: Re: Looks Great

I'll only have 2 people working on it. But I'm sure it will be worth it.
I'd be willing to devote some time to helping you two out. just let me know.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

LOL! There is a big difference inbetween 12 hours of total time spent and the # of hours that were spent actually turning wrenches.

There was alot of "hmmmmmmm" "ahhhhh" and talking shat about the other .org members. hehe.

Alot of it was because these guys never took off a manifold before. If they did it again, actual working time would be 1/3-1/2 the time I'm sure.

Glad I was there to watch and help a little.

Holy cow 12 hours...Hopefully I won't have as much of a problem with the Plenums on my car...but my car is old 95' so I'm sure it will be a pain for me too. And I'll only have 2 people working on it. But I'm sure it will be worth it. You should take it for a nice test drive and tell us how the dyno butt likes it.

-John
Old 04-19-2002, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks Great

Originally posted by NmexMAX

I'd be willing to devote some time to helping you two out. just let me know.
Sure I'll give you a heads up. Or, if you can't maybe you could come to the dyno with us...even though we'll already see the results with Ian's dyno.

-John
Old 04-19-2002, 08:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Sounds good to me, if you're going o that show on Sunday, maybe I can get a ride in the beast, if possible. and we can talk bout the VI install,
Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks Great

Sure I'll give you a heads up. Or, if you can't maybe you could come to the dyno with us...even though we'll already see the results with Ian's dyno.

-John
you guys sure give NA maximas hope. i really do hope it makes a profound difference in performance. i wonder if there will be a synergistic effect coupled with other bolt on mods (ie ypipe, intake, exhaust and ecu). keep us posted!
Old 04-19-2002, 09:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

i'm sure it will have a synergistic effect because it is helping the car breathe that much better @ hi rpms. i wonder if the ECU must be reprogrammed for this mod?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
i'm sure it will have a synergistic effect because it is helping the car breathe that much better @ hi rpms. i wonder if the ECU must be reprogrammed for this mod?
I doubt you'd need to reset or reprogram the ECU since the ECU wouldn't even know the VI was there. The MAF gets the same readings as before and the VI works totally independent of the ECU via the rpm switch.
-hype
Old 04-19-2002, 11:33 AM

Old 04-19-2002, 12:23 PM

Good to hear you're making progress, I can't wait to hear on how this goes!
Old 04-19-2002, 01:49 PM

Ok so there is the butt that I see...Now put it in the seat of the car and drive around and tell us how the butt dyno feels.

-John
Old 04-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

With all this excitement I'm about to pee my pants I'm glad you got everything you needed from your "hook up". You've got one buyer sitting here eagerly waiting your dyno.

Dave
Old 04-19-2002, 04:53 PM

Major setbacks.

The RPM switch isn't turning on like it should. I can program it and everything, and I get an LED showing it's getting juice, but when the RPM's hit their mark, nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure it's blown. I sent MardisGras an E-Mail asking him how he hooked it up, but according to my diagrams we have it right.

We tested avery wire with a voltmeter, and the switched ground out of the RPM switch is the only thing not lighting up.

Also, the MAP/Baro switch, when turned on then off again, does not release the vacuum pressure in the hose going to the actuator. This means that the actuator stays open indefinately.

IanS
Old 04-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What kind of rpm switch are you using? Are you sure it's programmed for the right kind of engine and ignition? I plan on getting the Harlan rpm switch. I have his shiftlight and it's great.

Dave
Old 04-20-2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
What kind of rpm switch are you using? Are you sure it's programmed for the right kind of engine and ignition? I plan on getting the Harlan rpm switch. I have his shiftlight and it's great.

Dave
I have the Harlan Switch. I'm getting no switched ground out of it.

Any tricks to hooking it up I'm missing?

I have +12v going to the +12v on the ignition coil.
I have - going to the Black on the ignition coil.
I have Green (coil sensor wire) going to the multi-colored wire on the ignition coil, as it says is the ignition control wire in the Haynes manual.

Then out of the RPM switch is a white wire that is supposed to turn into a ground to activate a relay when the set RPM's are hit. I'm getting nothing out of this lead at any point, even though the LED is flashing correctly for 6 cylinders and 1500 RPMs (I set it to 1500 for testing).

I tested every connection with a voltmeter, and they are all working, minus the switched ground (White wire) coming out of the RPM switch.

Anyway, as I said, having issues getting the RPM switch and MAP/Baro Switch to work.

See my post in the 4th gen Forums "ME VI Installed!".

I don't feel like posting in a million places, and will post further updates there.

Good news is that I just drove it around with the flaps open to see what happened....Car feels crazy fast at higher RPM's now.

Butt Dyno is very happy.

I had a Dyno scheduled for this afternoon (They didn't have the space to do it tomorrow), but missed the appointment because of my issues.

Dyno is going to have to wait until next week, unfortunately, sorry for being a tease.

IanS
Old 04-20-2002, 08:41 PM

ME VI - $600 shipped
(not in bulk, so it cost more than it will in a GD)

RPM Switch - $50.00

DawesDevices.com Solenoid, that doesn't work - $35

Various wires/relays - $25

Solenoid off a Nissan Pulsar NX in a junkyard - $2.50

Bactine for the cuts all over my hands - $3.50

The look on ebmorgans face as I hit 5000 RPM's -
PRICELESS

It works!

Please look in the "ME VI Installed" thread on 4th Gen Forum for any further info.

IanS
Old 04-20-2002, 11:23 PM

Re: Re: Looks Great

good lord. took me an hour the first time i did it. glad you actually got your VI though.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

good lord. took me an hour the first time i did it. glad you actually got your VI though.
!?!?!?

You have the ME VI!?!?

Or you just removed and replaced your plenums?

Alot of it was learning curve, and figuring out the vacuum system and RPM switch. And alot of sitting aorund and taking breaks and bullsh!tting.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

Doubt that....this would take a shop at least 3 hours. Removing and insatlling the plenum...yeah...about an hour....but there's A LOT more involved in a MEVI.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:49 PM

Re: Re: did you do a write up

Oh man that picture is just glorious

DW

Still have to schedule the Dyno Run. Hopefully I can get time on it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can.

Of course i will do a write-up assuming that the Dyno shows a good gain.

IanS
Old 04-21-2002, 10:38 PM

Ian I got the package from my supplier just like you he under-estimated the weight. The package was actually 9 kg which is about 20 or so pounds.

I bit k the bullet and paid the extra shipping costs. The VI looked good when I had it here though

Hopefully Robert can get it installed and dynoed soon I'm gonna talk to Greg just after this happens and see what he can arrange for us.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:11 AM

Great to hear!!!

Originally posted by Finality
Ian I got the package from my supplier just like you he under-estimated the weight. The package was actually 9 kg which is about 20 or so pounds.

I bit k the bullet and paid the extra shipping costs. The VI looked good when I had it here though

Hopefully Robert can get it installed and dynoed soon I'm gonna talk to Greg just after this happens and see what he can arrange for us.
I'm glad that you got the VI in. When do you think it will be on your car. It appears that we are now going to have to start listing VVI in our mod list =)
Old 04-22-2002, 07:49 AM

Re: Great to hear!!!

I'm glad that you got the VI in. When do you think it will be on your car. It appears that we are now going to have to start listing VVI in our mod list =)
The supplier only had one piece of the Intakes themselves so since Robert already paid for it I told them to send out that single piece asap he should have it later this week.

*sigh*