General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Mysterious thunking noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 12:14 PM

My car has recently developed a "thunk" in the front suspension/steering rack or something. It also makes creaky poppy sounds (real quiet, not like CV joints) when at full-lock turning as if the G force flexing the wheel is torqueing the suspension up or something. Sounds like spring noise but I've got 'em all coated in rubber sheath on the dead coils so that's not it I don't think.
The noise is also evident when going over small square-edge bumps or holes. Sounds almost like something's loose but I had the car jacked up and checked everything out the other day.

I'm taking it to the dealership to have it looked at...

Does the dealer give you sh*t about lowering springs? Void warranty or anything nasty like that?
Old 09-01-2000, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take it to the place that installed your springs, not the dealer.

I had a similar problem on my 91GXE shortly after I had Eibachs put in (and then removed). The springs have to be seated properly in their mountings or you can get unsettling noises like the ones you describe.

The dealer would probably be able to fix it but will charge you to do it. The shop that did your springs would probably fix it for free.

Jim
Old 09-01-2000, 12:23 PM

umm...well...

I think dealer will give you a bunch of craps when they found you are modifying your car regardless

reason:

mods are not based on their design specs
yeah..kinda a bs in some sense but they also have some validity in saying that.

although......
i am pretty sure if you have a toyota and install trd stuff on it, the dealer will be happy to honor your mods.
dunno about mugen, ralliart, nismo.
Do dealers honor Mopars?

as far as noise...checking your boots, breaks, suspension sys, tires might provide answers. if you can , inspect those before letting the dealer probe your car.

Good luck

Old 09-01-2000, 12:26 PM
Disco Biscuit

Dead cat stuck to the tire?

Just a thought......
Old 09-01-2000, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you replaced your front sway bar bushings lately? If they are installed backwards they will rip and result in the sounds you're hearing.

If not then they are probably ok.
Old 09-01-2000, 01:10 PM

Couple possibilities

When I first switched to lowering springs, I had a popping noise too. It turned out that the top of the front right strut was scraping against a small bolt sticking out of the underhood area. The fix was just remove the bolt (you can tell which one, since the bottom will be all worn away) and reinstall with a couple washers to give it more clearance.

Another possibility is an improperly mounted spring. If it's not seated properly, it will pop in and out and make that sound.

The last possibility (unlikely) is a bad CV joint. If the CV joint is shot, the stress on the joint with the wheel fully turned with cause a "clacking" noise when the car is in motion. Eventually, the clacking noise will persist even when you are going straight.

Old 09-04-2000, 06:41 PM

I have the same problem.

I also have Intrax springs, and I'm hearing exact same problems that you're describing. Thunking noises when turning to the right and over bumps. I've taken apart the suspension 3 times already and its still there. I've taken into 3 shops already and no one knows what it is. Let me know if you fix the problem.

Originally posted by SethMax
My car has recently developed a "thunk" in the front suspension/steering rack or something. It also makes creaky poppy sounds (real quiet, not like CV joints) when at full-lock turning as if the G force flexing the wheel is torqueing the suspension up or something. Sounds like spring noise but I've got 'em all coated in rubber sheath on the dead coils so that's not it I don't think.
The noise is also evident when going over small square-edge bumps or holes. Sounds almost like something's loose but I had the car jacked up and checked everything out the other day.

I'm taking it to the dealership to have it looked at...

Does the dealer give you sh*t about lowering springs? Void warranty or anything nasty like that?