General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No squeals, mite!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 02:33 PM

No squeals, mite!

I decided to replace my brake pads today, so I drove over to my buddy's house who has a garage and a floor jack. I got the pads locally, only 15% off list and had to pay NJ tax. But I figure the list was 65.99 so I'd save only a little more if I did mail order.

I have finally found something about the Maxima that I can rate EXCELLENT. Are you kidding me?? My friend and I spent about 10 minutes per side, no lie! We used a C-clamp and a piece of plywood and the pistons went in easy. The fluid did overflow unfortunately. I think it's good advice to NOT top off the fluid as your pads wear.

When we took out the first pad, my buddy was like do you wanna put it back or put the new ones in? With about 59k, my original pads are are only about 55-60% spent!! I figured what the hey let's just put the new ones in since we're in there anyway.

Put those phat new pads in, used the old hardware. One thing we neglected was on the inner one which is pressed by the piston we neglected to put the old black shims on because they stuck hard to the originals and we missed 'em. But we did use the silver shims which go on the outside. No squeals whatsoever (knock on wood).

What was weird was the original pads had these holes in the side which accepted a wire clip, the wire being about the diameter of a paper clip. Also the original inners had a very large metal thingy attached to it that the new ones did not.

I'll be honest, someone posted they went 90k before changing the pads and they didn't need to turn the rotors, and I was skeptical. Now I'm a believer!!

Everyone should change these pads on their own, I am serious it is so easy. Just make sure your pads are the 99Y's as I believe those are the most correct pads of all the part#'s floating around.