General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I beat my tint tickets today

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 07:09 AM

I beat my tint tickets today

Well Sort of.
I posted b4 how I got caught in a checkpoint and forgot to roll down my windows. I got 4 tickets one for each window.
I went to court today and it didnt look good from the start. THE OFFICER SHOWED!

Ok so the judge was late as usual and when he came in I noticed he was kind of handicapped(mentally disabled) but whatever. Not looking good except for that fact that he was black YEAHHHHH!(Stick together ROSa PARKS)!

Anyway the cop read from that sheet they read from sounding like a robot and then it was my turn. I explained to the judge that the officer used the machine only on my rear drivers side window. He said it was 13% and then assumed all of my windows was the same and issued four tickets. But the catalyst was when i presented my documentation which was a Print out from the DMV LAWS PAGE STATING

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law prohibits a windshield, as well as sidewings and side windows which are adjacent to or forward of the driver, from being "composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent...". In other words, 70% of light must be transmitted through the glass, and therefore the tinting may not block more than 30% of the light.

This standard also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle is equipped with rear-view mirrors on both sides which give a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

SO i SAid that clearly states my back windows can be as dark as they want as long as I have two rear view mirrors(which I have) and its only the front windows that need are governed. HE went into his copy of the nytrafficlaws and started reading the same page and after ten minutes he said that the word "rear" is too general and it doesnt specify if the rear GLASS or the rear drivers side and passenger windows.

Verdict= He threw out 3 of them and only gave me a ticket for the driver side window (30 + 20 surcharge =50)

WHen I walked out like 3 other dudes who had window tints ran @ me and asked me for the papers I had. I cant complain.

So if any of you guys get pulled over, Id suggest having a copy of this either to show the officer or when you go to court.
The link for NYS DMV LAW is below.

http://fornax.dmv.state.ny.us/script...HQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

P.S. Dont turn this into a cop bashing post please.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that's cool that you got it reduced. I hope you were joking about using your skin color to get a lesser fine.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:24 AM

it the context I used it I was joking. But if the judge wanted to have mercy on me cuz we were the same color you think I would object? Not a chance. Just like if me and the judge both went to the same schools or came from the same neighborhood he would be lenient on me. Nothing racial.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by theblue
that's cool that you got it reduced. I hope you were joking about using your skin color to get a lesser fine.
ahh ditto.