General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2000, 11:44 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Anyone know how legal it is to have a radar detector? (NY?)
How effective are they, anyone find them helpful, what kind of radius? How much do they run for?

thanx
Old 11-25-2000, 12:54 PM

Not sure of Ny, but they are in Tx. I think they are illegal

in a few states such as Va. I have a Valentine 1, they are they best in the market, and I think others can vouch for that, it has saved me quite a few times, but they cost about 400.00. You can only get it on line, try a search on valentine one.
Old 11-25-2000, 12:57 PM

They are only illegal in VA and DC..

everywhere else they are legal. The V1 is THE best on the market, second to NONE. If you want the best, you have to pay the price for it, but everyone will agree it IS worth the extra $$$.
Old 11-25-2000, 01:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

v1

if you're in one of the 48 states where they are legal, get a Valentine1. The best.

http://www.valentine1.com

/aac

Old 11-25-2000, 03:19 PM

Valentine 1

I don't have one, but I do have to say I'm partial to their advertisements. How many other radar detectors brag about the testimonials they get from fighter pilots? If only you could actually lose the cops by hitting the brakes and letting them fly right by...
Old 11-25-2000, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The valentine is useless against laser

actually ... all these detectors are ... if u live in a place where they use a lot of laser ... all these devices are pretty damn useless
Old 11-25-2000, 03:58 PM

Re: The valentine is useless against laser

Originally posted by ohboiya
actually ... all these detectors are ... if u live in a place where they use a lot of laser ... all these devices are pretty damn useless

I have disabled laser warning on my v1, just because I got interference from my strobes and my CVA1005, plus if you get hit with laser it's all over anyway, no time to react.

I also disabled Xband because no one uses it up here, it's just interference. 90-95% of enforcement here is K or Ka band.

/aac

Old 11-25-2000, 04:22 PM

which police force around Toronto uses laser??? I'd be interested to know. The OPP guys I talk to tell me that none of the OPP forces anywhere in Ontario can afford to buy laser equipment. I gather it's quite pricey..so a lot of OPP use quite antiquated gear..so I'm told..so you ought to be OK with the Valentine. Not a lot of opportunity to even do the posted speed on the DVP;Gardiner; QEW; usually gridlocked anyways!

cya
Old 11-25-2000, 05:18 PM

hmm

Word is the NJ State Troopers only use RADAR, but for some reason my friends ****ty non-laser radar always pics them up , do they use both or something?
Old 11-25-2000, 06:07 PM

That is incorrect. I have detected laser usage many times, hit the brakes, and escaped from harm.
Old 11-25-2000, 06:24 PM

Yes, they are legal in NY check out the latest test-->

IMHO if you have a spare $400 get the V1 but if you can only spare $230 get the Bel 980.. The Level of Detection are basically the same but the V1 has arrows that tell you kinda where they cop is shooting radar..
Radar Detector Test
http://www.speedzones.com/
Old 11-25-2000, 06:36 PM

Re: Yes, they are legal in NY check out the latest test-->

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
IMHO if you have a spare $400 get the V1 but if you can only spare $230 get the Bel 980.. The Level of Detection are basically the same but the V1 has arrows that tell you kinda where they cop is shooting radar..
Radar Detector Test

C&D tested the V1 a couple of years ago. It had a 7.4 mile range for radar. More than twice the range of anything else.
Old 11-25-2000, 06:45 PM
JUGSMAX

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Anyone know how legal it is to have a radar detector? (NY?)
How effective are they, anyone find them helpful, what kind of radius? How much do they run for?

thanx
Va. and Wash.DC is the only places. Well I just went though some radar det. drama. I was wanting one to take on this trip,for the weekend so I did some research and ended up buying a Bel 870.I ordered it on Mon.at about 4:30 pm from Crutchfield and It was at my house on Tues. when I got home from work (THAT'S FAST)So I took it on this trip and loved it. But it was missing one of the window mount cups so I had to mount it to the dash I did alright.But I think it would have done better on the windshield...It was $99 ..good buy $119 everywhere else I checked with free shipping $105 total...I sent it back cause so close to X-mas probable order it again after new year...Crutchfield payed for me to ship it back..So i was out about 5 dollars..It's x,k,ka,laser..Done real well..Would tell anybody to buy one WELL WORTH THE MONEY...Also 360 degree protection.Also have 30 days to try it out ,If you don't like it send it back ..Check them out http://www.crutchfield.com----GOOD LUCK---MAXIMA'S RULE...

Old 11-26-2000, 05:35 AM

Re: Re: Yes, they are legal in NY check out the latest test-->

recent tests showed the Bel 980 matching or outperforming the V1 on all tests ... plus it's cheaper ... however .. now that I've used the 980 ... I kind of like the idea of the arrows which indicate which direction the radar is coming from ... not worth the additional $$$ tho ... if n e 1's interested ... I'll sell my 980 for $250 including shipping

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Radar Detector Test

C&D tested the V1 a couple of years ago. It had a 7.4 mile range for radar. More than twice the range of anything else.
Old 11-26-2000, 05:37 AM

Re: Re: The valentine is useless against laser

Hey ...

I got busted on the 427 by OPP with laser ... going 2 court!

Originally posted by LeoB
which police force around Toronto uses laser??? I'd be interested to know. The OPP guys I talk to tell me that none of the OPP forces anywhere in Ontario can afford to buy laser equipment. I gather it's quite pricey..so a lot of OPP use quite antiquated gear..so I'm told..so you ought to be OK with the Valentine. Not a lot of opportunity to even do the posted speed on the DVP;Gardiner; QEW; usually gridlocked anyways!

cya
Old 11-26-2000, 05:40 AM

Re: Re: The valentine is useless against laser

were u going fast enuff that they even cared?

most magazines/speed tests would disagree with u ... all industry people would have 2 disagree as well ... laser is a direct beam ... unlike radar ... it doesn't "scatter" so it's very difficult 4 u 2 get a reading unless you've been directly "beamed" .. u might have got away with it b/c u weren't going fast enuff 4 them 2 care

That is incorrect. I have detected laser usage many times, hit the brakes, and escaped from harm.
Old 11-26-2000, 06:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: The valentine is useless against laser

were u going fast enuff that they even cared?

most magazines/speed tests would disagree with u ... all industry people would have 2 disagree as well ... laser is a direct beam ... unlike radar ... it doesn't "scatter" so it's very difficult 4 u 2 get a reading unless you've been directly "beamed" .. u might have got away with it b/c u weren't going fast enuff 4 them 2 care

Oh, I'm ALWAYS going fast enough for them to care. The way laser works is this: At 1000ft, the diameter of the beam is about 6ft. So when the cop shoots a car ahead of me, the scatter is detected and I slow down.
Old 11-26-2000, 08:08 AM

That was a couple of years ago..n/m

Radar Detector Test

Old 11-26-2000, 08:34 AM

Re: That was a couple of years ago..n/m

Radar Detector Test

If my V1 had that range then, it still has it now.
Old 11-26-2000, 12:24 PM
PRINCE NISMO

ONLY THE BEST.......

If you want the best then get the Valentine 1, I bought mine back in 1993 and it still performs as well as it did the day I got it. At least 5 of my friends have also bought the Valentine 1 over the years and all have worked without a flaw, expensive a little but worth every penny..... How many of us have detectors from 7 years ago?... The Valentine 1 is the best.....IMO!

Old 11-26-2000, 01:33 PM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by Nine7Max
Word is the NJ State Troopers only use RADAR, but for some reason my friends ****ty non-laser radar always pics them up , do they use both or something?
Laser isn't big here in NJ. You need a certain license for the damn thing. There are about 15-17 registered laser users in NJ. Most of the ST or local PD use Radar. I have been tagged by laser before an requested to see it and i got the model number and all. He was a registered user later on i found out when i tried to fight the ticket.
Old 11-26-2000, 04:50 PM

V1 doesn't have the best X and K range anymore.. BEL980 does.. n/m

Radar Detector Test

Old 11-26-2000, 04:54 PM

thats a lot of $$$ i thought that stuff was $70-100
Old 11-26-2000, 04:54 PM

Re: V1 doesn't have the best X and K range anymore.. BEL980 does.. n/m

Can you show me where the Bel has a range greater than 7.4 miles? The link that you posted earlier showed the V1 to have a greater range than the Bel.

[Edited by Micah95GLE on 11-26-2000 at 07:12 PM]
Old 11-26-2000, 05:02 PM

Oh, I looked at it again, and that link says that they are about equal in two bands and the V1 has way better range in the other. But I don't trust that test because their ranges for the V1 are way less than other tests that I have seen.
Old 11-26-2000, 06:00 PM

fellow V1 owner

i have had them all, i have had cobra, bel, whistler and even jammers, they all suck... I have a v1 now, flawless, and it is very useful against laser.. i was comin back from NYC doin about 85 in a 55 and didnt see the cop, it went off, slowed down right away and then saw him... NO TICKET, i have gotten tickets with the others or had friends that did... LOVE THE v1... No other detector has the direction, saves my butt many times......