General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

First impressions of 2k2..... long

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 05:50 PM

First impressions of 2k2..... long

So a friend of mine has a 2k2 auto SE, we go to a pizza place he gets a slice or 2 and i suggest he let me drive back, you know its hard driving on a full stomach. We pull onto central Ave (I LOVE NY PIZZA PARLOR).. I increase my speed briskly to a nice pace of about 60(40 zone)..the car pulled nicely and i liked it.. So we get to a light and i put it down to D2 and take off, get the tires to chirp and what not and i liked the way it pulled alot. So now we cruise to around wolf Road when i decide to take the Northway Exit(Towards crossgates)
I take the exit at a decent speed of around 60 (35 curve) when i start to feel something a bit unfamiliar to me ..body roll.. it wasnt too bad the only thing with more body roll has to be a caddy. Exiting out of the corner the car picked up speed fast. I head back towards the suny Albany campus taking the curves on the I-90 ramp fast. I get around to suny albany and my friends who hope the ride is over are surprised to find out im not done. I take it to the State Office Circle and mash through the corner getting the tires to sing for me just a bit.. Merging to the State Office Circle at about 70mph wasnt too smart considering i went past the STATE TROOPER ACADEMY.. I then make a loop .. 2 tight 180 degree turns in the middle (2 U-turns). Going around the 2 turns at about 50 made the tires hold on for life as they were screaming now not singing. Exiting the last U-turn the tires decided to let go and the car kept forward momentum while sliding to the right until i decided to let off of the gas. The whole time i was smiling. We get out of the car everyone smiling some because its over and me because it was fun.

..... I can only imagine the capabilities of a fully modded 2k2, my friends car was auto, but oh my did the car move. i can only imagine a 6spd.

..... 225's are not enough rubber for that car, i would need atleast 235's to be comfy with it

..... 3 and D are a problem a slight touch can knock it from D to 3, this can be a problem if your doin about 120+

..... The Radio controls on the steering wheel, the problem THEY DO NOT BELONG THERE

Those are just some of the things that i thought id share about my experiance with the 2k2, my friend said next time i drive i better behave (next time is next year)

Old 05-02-2002, 05:54 PM

I can see the way that it would have some body roll, it's a big car, but with some STB's it'd be nice. I love those cars.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:08 PM

I take it you're from the capital region? I'm from Clifton Park, but live in Latham now. Small world, i guess, not a lot of people from this area on the boards, I don't think.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:15 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Maxspeeds, FSTB..no more body roll... sticks to the ground very nicely ! That ROLL scared the crap out of me one time when I was racing a TL-S... I hit about 90 on a mild turn next to him, and I started to ROLL very dangerously.. ..Thats when Maxspeeds were order and FSTB, I've got myy ADDCO RSB here, Im installing it hopefully tomorrow!
Old 05-11-2002, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about roll. I took mine to a fast (speeds up to almost 75 in the slalom )autocross in St. Louis when my car was bone stock and boy that thing was LEANING. Now, with the mods in my sig., lean is a thing of the past. I'd say that the 2K2s need suspension mods before performance mods since stock performance is definately not lacking as much as handling.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: First impressions of 2k2..... long

Originally posted by Stillnmax

..... 225's are not enough rubber for that car, i would need atleast 235's to be comfy with it

..... 3 and D are a problem a slight touch can knock it from D to 3, this can be a problem if your doin about 120+

..... The Radio controls on the steering wheel, the problem THEY DO NOT BELONG THERE

245's are just enohgt for this car esp the 6-spd.

my friend has a talon auto and at like 120 i took off o/d by accident and it didn't downshift i imagine the max will be the same.

and the radio controls should be at least lighted if their gonan chill on teh wheel.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:49 AM
john2002max

Re: First impressions of 2k2..... long

Originally posted by Stillnmax
So a friend of mine has a 2k2 auto SE, we go to a pizza place he gets a slice or 2 and i suggest he let me drive back, you know its hard driving on a full stomach. We pull onto central Ave (I LOVE NY PIZZA PARLOR).. I increase my speed briskly to a nice pace of about 60(40 zone)..the car pulled nicely and i liked it.. So we get to a light and i put it down to D2 and take off, get the tires to chirp and what not and i liked the way it pulled alot. So now we cruise to around wolf Road when i decide to take the Northway Exit(Towards crossgates)
I take the exit at a decent speed of around 60 (35 curve) when i start to feel something a bit unfamiliar to me ..body roll.. it wasnt too bad the only thing with more body roll has to be a caddy. Exiting out of the corner the car picked up speed fast. I head back towards the suny Albany campus taking the curves on the I-90 ramp fast. I get around to suny albany and my friends who hope the ride is over are surprised to find out im not done. I take it to the State Office Circle and mash through the corner getting the tires to sing for me just a bit.. Merging to the State Office Circle at about 70mph wasnt too smart considering i went past the STATE TROOPER ACADEMY.. I then make a loop .. 2 tight 180 degree turns in the middle (2 U-turns). Going around the 2 turns at about 50 made the tires hold on for life as they were screaming now not singing. Exiting the last U-turn the tires decided to let go and the car kept forward momentum while sliding to the right until i decided to let off of the gas. The whole time i was smiling. We get out of the car everyone smiling some because its over and me because it was fun.

..... I can only imagine the capabilities of a fully modded 2k2, my friends car was auto, but oh my did the car move. i can only imagine a 6spd.

Those are just some of the things that i thought id share about my experiance with the 2k2, my friend said next time i drive i better behave (next time is next year)

A rear sway bar would help alot on that body roll! I put one on and can't believe how much better the car holds the road. Best 150 bucks I ever spent!