General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SFCs = a must mod for lowered Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by theblue
dave, I'm still not sure if they would be worth it for me... I'm very lowered (GC+AGX) currently at about a 2.3" drop and I don't really notice any flex on the frame and the car feels well planted all the time. I want my car to handle the best it possibly can and I just feel that I'm already at that point. do you really think these will help me, in my case?

is anybody with the connectors going to the big north east meet?
These WILL help. You will be very surprised at how much flex your car really has after you lower it. Big bumps don't cause the chassis to crash and resonate anymore. A lot of the overall harshness of the springs is gone on bumpy surfaces. Like I said, nearly all of the side to side motion of the rear beam on a bumpy turn is gone. I don't have a aftermarket sway bar either (got rid of it after realizing my Intrax springs reduced most of my roll center).

Dave
Old 05-21-2002, 03:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: When you guys talk about radial arm suspensions >>

Not sure of the technical term. I forget. I think trailing links are for the rear suspension? These would be for the front suspension. To link the wheel side of the control arm to the front end of the unibody(ie.. just under or at the tow hooks.

Originally posted by Albertt

...do you mean trailing links?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: When you guys talk about radial arm suspensions >>

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Not sure of the technical term. I forget. I think trailing links are for the rear suspension? These would be for the front suspension. To link the wheel side of the control arm to the front end of the unibody(ie.. just under or at the tow hooks.

Not sure what you are talking about.. perhaps tension strut rod?

Ian
93 SHO
Old 05-21-2002, 03:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: When you guys talk about radial arm suspensions >>

Yes I believe. It's been about 11 years since I got rid of the mightly mite 510

Originally posted by Italic Ian

Not sure what you are talking about.. perhaps tension strut rod?

Ian
93 SHO
Old 05-21-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
and what technical backing do you have?
Enough technical backing that Warpspeed listens to my ideas(or partial ideas) and puts them into production. Such as subframe connectors and radius arms. What's your contribution?
Old 05-21-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
He's got a BS in B.S. and talks more $hit he doesn't understand than anybody I know.
Interesting Matthew, seems your attitude has changed since you've got the title of a moderator. Oh well, maybe I'll look through my ICQ archives and post some of the newbie/dumbass turbo questions you used to ask me. LOL..
Old 05-21-2002, 04:51 PM

He's got a BS in B.S. and talks more $hit he doesn't understand than anybody I know.

But in this case, he is right. Radial arms will only keep the wheels from hopping on hard accerlaration. they won't do squat to stiffen the frame or help the ride. in fact, they'll possibly make the ride more harsh, as the suspension can't move as freely as it did before the radial arms..
Oh, and as for not knowing what I'm talking about. You're the one thats wrong. A properly engineered radius arm setup will have no effect on the ride of the car, and the suspension should compress and work just as it had before. Radius arms are made to preload the lower control arms so they don't deflect under acceleration, giving you better 60' times or a better launch on the track if thats what you're into. Also, when preloaded they'll improve the stability and make the suspension more precise. Anyways, they'll make the suspension feel a whole lot tighter(steering/launch wise). The suspension not moving as freely as it did before would be "binding" and thats an engineering no-no. But you probably already knew that, so I'll go back into hiding. Have a nice day Mr. Moderator Sir.

Old 05-21-2002, 06:44 PM

Ya, whats up with that comment coming from a moderator out of no where? MaximaMike didnt do anything to offend anyone..
Old 05-21-2002, 07:38 PM

WSP SFCs

Here is a message from Dallas he tried to post but for some reason it won't go through.

"We are going to do an install on a 2 post lift on our 1996 SE just to see if there is a problem adding camber to the chassis. We have installed and removed a set so we have removal instructions as well.

I like using a 4 post personally whether is it is for an exhaust install or subframes.

I think the thread that was deleted was the one about the comments on "the suspension geometrics of the Maxima" and why subframes would not help them. I think my comment about anyone saying it would not make a difference without first trying them was sort of like 2 blind guys arguing over who looked better in sunglasses.

The main difference between the Taurus and Mustang subframes is the shape of the subframe material. The box tubing used on the SHO would simply not fit under the Maxima. This is by no means new technology and we are probably not the first however we are the first to actually make them affordable and work.

I think we will probably offer a bargain priced Stage 3 upgrade to anyone coming in for an install. We made arrangements with my friend at Best Brake so Saturday installs are possible with an appointment. He only charges $75 to install the Stage 1 and $100 for both Stage 1+2. He does them on a 4 post as I have a 2 post in our shop.

We use a wire wheel or razor scraper to remove the undercoating.

I hope to send out a set of radial arms next week for test (we have someone already picked out, but Thanks), our initial testing indicates clearance should not be an issue but our 96 is not really lowered."
Dallas

Dan WSP
Old 05-21-2002, 10:04 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Ya, whats up with that comment coming from a moderator out of no where? MaximaMike didnt do anything to offend anyone..
There's a long history between Mike and I of him sticking his comments in where they're not needed, and seeming to think that he came up with originals ideas and was solely responsible for many mods that have been produced on our cars. He's sorely mistaken, and he sometimes needs reminded of that. Most of the time he DOES know what he's talking about, but sometimes his brain goes into "I know more than you" overload and he starts posting about stuff he doesn't understand of have the full story on, thinking he's the expert on the subject..

and whether I am a moderator or not has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Ford Only.

I like the new sig Matt
Old 05-21-2002, 11:10 PM

There's a long history between Mike and I of him sticking his comments in where they're not needed, and seeming to think that he came up with originals ideas and was solely responsible for many mods that have been produced on our cars. He's sorely mistaken, and he sometimes needs reminded of that. Most of the time he DOES know what he's talking about, but sometimes his brain goes into "I know more than you" overload and he starts posting about stuff he doesn't understand of have the full story on, thinking he's the expert on the subject..

and whether I am a moderator or not has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Kiss and make up. Nice sig pic by the way.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:17 PM
STFU n00b!

thanks.. The credit should go to JustinMC for taking the pic.. I just drove the car

and Mikey can kiss my @$$.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Not to get inbetween the lover's quarrel but Mike, given the quote below, why did you say "they won't do **** for your car"? Seems like a contradiction. Radial arms should benefit a stock or modded maxima.

Originally posted by Maximamike

Oh, and as for not knowing what I'm talking about. You're the one thats wrong. A properly engineered radius arm setup will have no effect on the ride of the car, and the suspension should compress and work just as it had before. Radius arms are made to preload the lower control arms so they don't deflect under acceleration, giving you better 60' times or a better launch on the track if thats what you're into. Also, when preloaded they'll improve the stability and make the suspension more precise. Anyways, they'll make the suspension feel a whole lot tighter(steering/launch wise). The suspension not moving as freely as it did before would be "binding" and thats an engineering no-no. But you probably already knew that, so I'll go back into hiding. Have a nice day Mr. Moderator Sir.

Old 05-22-2002, 02:14 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by Maximamike

Enough technical backing that Warpspeed listens to my ideas(or partial ideas) and puts them into production. Such as subframe connectors and radius arms. What's your contribution?
Well, well, well I made Dan's mesh grille!!

I wish I could comment on the SFC's....ordered March 19th and I've been told now twice that they've been shipped. Havent gotten any replies to my e-mails....

2+ months now and counting...
Old 05-22-2002, 05:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

maximamike..

your comment about what I have contributed was not necessary because I asked a simple question, in no way was I insulting your integrity as a person because you seemed to take quite offense to it. all i wanted to know was the backing you had and I appreciated your information, you just didnt need to wave you d*ck around while doing it..

contributed to the max org? full write ups on air suspension, dual exhaust, tons of stereo and installation query's, i am apart of ap-signworks development and prototyping... and you've done what?

i am glad you think that you have such a great affect on warpspeed because they do so much for the maxima community..
Old 05-24-2002, 04:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by thebigsadler
i am glad you think that you have such a great affect on warpspeed because they do so much for the maxima community.. [/B]
actually...they have. SFC, affordable y pipes? From the time I saw them first appear on the org, they've only been helpful with all of the members concerns and needs. Aside from their busy phone lines, they're a great company.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

actually...they have. SFC, affordable y pipes? From the time I saw them first appear on the org, they've only been helpful with all of the members concerns and needs. Aside from their busy phone lines, they're a great company.
I second that. Dallas and Dan are great guys. I've met both them numerous times and listening to them talk gets you excited. They listen to every word and idea you have because they know there's a hundred other people out there that want the same mod. I've got thier SFCs, Y-pipe, and intake resonator bypass pipe and everything fit perfectly the first time.

As for getting a hold of WSP, I've never had a problem. I've had to leave messages or e-mails, but they all were returned or answered within a day or two. I know one of Warpspeeds biggest gripes and problems is people who leave messages, but don't say what they are calling, or they don't leave a number at which to get reached, etc. If you want quick service, RESEARCH their mods on this site. There's not much point calling them up and asking questions because everything you need is in this site or on their webpage. There are plenty of us that have first hand experience with these guys and their products therefore we can answer many of your questions. The only thing you should be calling WSP for is when you're ready to order.

Dave
Old 05-24-2002, 07:31 AM

instructions

http://www.shoacop.com/install.htm

This touches on some things I said earlier about prepping the areas to be welded, etc..It might prove useful..

Ian
Old 05-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: instructions

Originally posted by Italic Ian
http://www.shoacop.com/install.htm

This touches on some things I said earlier about prepping the areas to be welded, etc..It might prove useful..

Ian
Yep, that's exactly how WSP says to prep the weld points. One thing I don't like is that they welded the SFCs onto the SHO while on a two post lift. With the car supported on 4-points, the chassis is bending. Then they weld on the SFCs which then keeps the chassis in the loaded position even when it's off the lift. IMO, the only way I'd put SFCs on is if I've got a 4-post drive-on lift. Most every other company recommends a drive-on lift to keep from loading the chassis in a unnatural postion.

Dave