Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Mods Mods Mods oh how i love them!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:26 AM
  #1  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Mods Mods Mods oh how i love them!

I went to www.everythingnissan.com today and noticed that JWT has a s1 billet cam set for the VQ35. Now I know the price is steep and not too many members on here are die-hard mod freaks as myself but, anyway, with my list of performance mods now, I am wondering if this is worth it.

Go to link here ->S1 Billet Cams

My list of mods now are:
Cattman Full Cat-back Exhaust
Cattman Headers
UR UDP Pulley
Iridium IX Xtreme Spark Plugs
Berk Technology WAI

Now with the CAMS adding 15+hp I know for sure i will be in the mid to upper 13's. I have been following the 1/4 mile racing thread, and members in there with 02-03 maximas (autos) with exhaust upgrades, pulleys, CAIs and NO headers are getting 14.0 flat quarter miles and some have actually dipped into the 13s. I for one have the Cattman headers with all the mods mentioned above (I know our cars weigh about 30-50 pounds more) I am hoping I can get 13 sec passes at capitol raceway soon. I think with the JWT cams, I will definitely be in the 13s and this is basically my goal, get into the 13s NA then if i get bored go forced induction. There is also a 02 maxima (Auto) in the 1/4 mile thread that is all NA and has his ECU tuned and he is running 13.4 all day. I hope to surpass that with the I35. That would be sweet.

Anyway, long story short.....Do you guys think the Jwt Cams are worth it? I am itching to call justin at everything nissan.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
  #2  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
With those cams you would be in the 325 hp range, but for that price (near $1000, right?), I think that I would put that money towards a SC, which would put you around 400hp, then get the cams later. That is what my current plan is. If you might not get the SC then go for em.



Keep us posted.
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
  #3  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by i30ds
With those cams you would be in the 325 hp range, but for that price (near $1000, right?), I think that I would put that money towards a SC, which would put you around 400hp, then get the cams later. That is what my current plan is. If you might not get the SC then go for em.



Keep us posted.
Well, the super charger sounds nice but there is alot involved for install with the I35s since we are auto. Last i checked, wasn't the super charger price around almost 4 grand, not including cost of install, downtime and then buying a tranny cooler and other associated parts. I got the money for it, but I want wheels and a suspension kit first. I think 400hp in a Auto + FWD+heavy car doesn't sound to assuring to me. I also don't think my auto tranny would be able to hold up too well neither unless I get it rebuilded from level 10 in New Jersey. I am going to the track next weekend after I install my body kit, and from there, I will decide if the s1 billet cams are worth it or depending on how my quartermile times are looking.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 05:40 AM
  #4  
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30
iTrader: (8)
 
I30tMikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 9,336
Good to see an I35 doing performance mods.

a 3.5 auto with headers, intake, and catback should see very low 13's as long as you can pull a 2.1 60'.

What you need to consider with the cams is that they will hurt low end power, it is just the nature of the product. Being an auto already, you may not see gains in the 1/4 since low/mid power is essential in good 1/4 times. I can't speak for the 3.5, but a 3.0 auto with cams just doesn't have the low end power and is no faster in the 1/4 mile. Now the 1/4 is not everything and you car will scream at high rpms. You may also need an extended redline to fully take advantage of the cams. Also, unless you plan on installing them yourself, I have no idea of your mechanical ability, the install will cost as much as the cams.

Do some more research on how your car will react with the cams. It may be totally different with the 3.5 since you guys already have a boat load of torque. But a 3.0 auto with cams is not the best idea.
I30tMikeD is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 AM
  #5  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Good to see an I35 doing performance mods.

a 3.5 auto with headers, intake, and catback should see very low 13's as long as you can pull a 2.1 60'.

What you need to consider with the cams is that they will hurt low end power, it is just the nature of the product. Being an auto already, you may not see gains in the 1/4 since low/mid power is essential in good 1/4 times. I can't speak for the 3.5, but a 3.0 auto with cams just doesn't have the low end power and is no faster in the 1/4 mile. Now the 1/4 is not everything and you car will scream at high rpms. You may also need an extended redline to fully take advantage of the cams. Also, unless you plan on installing them yourself, I have no idea of your mechanical ability, the install will cost as much as the cams.

Do some more research on how your car will react with the cams. It may be totally different with the 3.5 since you guys already have a boat load of torque. But a 3.0 auto with cams is not the best idea.
That was a really good explanation of cams, thanks! The last thing I want to do is hurt lowend performance so, I think I will wait. That was the reason why I put in the under drive pulley + drop resistor mod to get rid of the sluggish auto performance.

Well, if you are saying I can obtain a 13 sec pass with my current mods then, I should be straight for now. I am really bad at the track and I usually get bad reaction times. I got to work on my launch, and this will be the first time I am tracking the I35. Actually, a friend/associate of mine from Acura-cl.com has a 6spd Cl type S and he usually goes up to capitol raceway with a bunch of guys from my old site. He is running 14.29999, and that seems to be his consistent times. They want me to run with them since they haven't seen a modded I35, let alone one at the track so I am trying to surprise them if I can get a few runs in. You know we still have that debate stuff acura tl vs maxima vs I35 vs CLS.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 07:08 AM
  #6  
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (89)
 
Zack342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 6,240
Even without Cams an ECU would help Greatly and would be alot cheaper.
Zack342 is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 07:39 AM
  #7  
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30
iTrader: (8)
 
I30tMikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 9,336
Originally Posted by leeI35
That was a really good explanation of cams, thanks! The last thing I want to do is hurt lowend performance so, I think I will wait. That was the reason why I put in the under drive pulley + drop resistor mod to get rid of the sluggish auto performance.

Well, if you are saying I can obtain a 13 sec pass with my current mods then, I should be straight for now. I am really bad at the track and I usually get bad reaction times. I got to work on my launch, and this will be the first time I am tracking the I35. Actually, a friend/associate of mine from Acura-cl.com has a 6spd Cl type S and he usually goes up to capitol raceway with a bunch of guys from my old site. He is running 14.29999, and that seems to be his consistent times. They want me to run with them since they haven't seen a modded I35, let alone one at the track so I am trying to surprise them if I can get a few runs in. You know we still have that debate stuff acura tl vs maxima vs I35 vs CLS.
I ment very low 14's maybe high 13's....sorry. But that is all assuming you can pull a good 60' time. If it is your first time out chances are slim and none that you will pull better than a 2.3 60', which will put you in the mid 14 sec range. Your reaction time will not be counted as part of your 1/4 time if your just there for test and tune.

Good luck, but don't be disapointed if your first time at the track is not the best. It takes practice to pull good times.....but who knows, maybe you will be a natural and run a 13.9 on the first run

What I said about the cams hurting low end may not be much of an issue for the 3.5. I suggest doing some more research, I could be wrong.
I30tMikeD is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 10:41 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 342
sorry to be a post *****...but here it goes. I am just beginning to look into engine mods on my A33. Any suggestions of where to begin? I guess my question is what mods will produce the most noticeable performance enhancements while still maintaing the "everyday driveability" of the car? Any leads are appreciated...Thanks!
I30 Boogie is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:16 AM
  #9  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by I30 Boogie
sorry to be a post *****...but here it goes. I am just beginning to look into engine mods on my A33. Any suggestions of where to begin? I guess my question is what mods will produce the most noticeable performance enhancements while still maintaing the "everyday driveability" of the car? Any leads are appreciated...Thanks!
Well in price order, it should go like this....

First mod, which also the cheapest is a WAI or CAI system. If you shop around the most you should pay is about $180. You gain noticeable low-end power but lose a little top-end. You also gain a nice growling sound which let's other drivers know you are packing something underhood. expect 5-10hp depending on your configuration setup.

IMHO the 2nd mod should be the Under Drive Pulley made by Unorthodox Racing (makes your engine feel alive because it's less stress on it and it improves the acceleration alot in my opinion). You don't gain any horsepower but because lighter weight of the UR pulley compared to the overweight stock pulley, the engine is turning faster and you are getting faster response and power out of the 3.5. Horror stories about oil leakage from this mod so I say stick with the best brand that has not had any problems which is UR. They also have a very good warranty and they stand by their products.

Third mod is definitely the exhaust, nissan carried over the same exhaust from the 3.0 maximas minus the muffler. We have a bigger engine (3.5) and it needs to breathe better that's why with the 02-03 maximas you see significant gains from just exhaust upgrades. There is a lot of companies out there that offer upgrades, the most critical part seems to be the Aftermarket Y-Pipe. The gains from this mod alone with other mods like pulley + CAI have some members here consistently hit low 14's quartemiles 14.0s -14.2s. If you get a full catback system more power to you, thats what I did.

4th Mod should be headers. The rush of power to redline is unbelievable from stock. This mod alone with exhaust is about a good 20+ hp gain. My highway power is untouched, and I can't wait to line up with a G35 coupe or sedan or new TL. Supposedly, I should definetely be in the low 14's high 13's with this mod and the other three mentioned above

5th Mod should be suspension. Most members here get wheels and suspension before performance. Whatever floats your boat should be the order you want to get mods. Most people like the look of a lowered car, thus removing the 4x4 look of the front wheel gap. Others want it for handling and show. I want this mod last because I don't do twisties, I don't plan on racing in the country mountains, I don't do dangerous lane changes, and I hate my city streets. I want POWER before handling + we will never out handle the G35 or Bimmer anyway with a FWD car.

6th mod could be anything and so forth.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:29 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 342
i respectfully request that the previous post be added to the FAQ's (EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!) Thanks!!!
I30 Boogie is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 08:21 PM
  #12  
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30
iTrader: (8)
 
I30tMikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 9,336
Originally Posted by I30 Boogie
i respectfully request that the previous post be added to the FAQ's (EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!) Thanks!!!
IMO, it is suspension, exhaust, intake in that order
I30tMikeD is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 04:49 PM
  #13  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
IMO, it is suspension, exhaust, intake in that order
Definitely... gotta close up that ugly a$$ wheel gap first.
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 11:59 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 838
please post pics of you i35
roofadoofalus is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 AM
  #15  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by roofadoofalus
please post pics of you i35
Are you talking about me? If so, I will once everything is completed. I have to get rid of the FX 4x4/AWD look first before i post pics. I hate seeing pic/posting pics of cars that look stock.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 11:04 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 687
what is this drop resistor mod you speak of? its not the ebay thing is it...
thephatOne is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 01:22 PM
  #17  
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by leeI35
Now with the CAMS adding 15+hp I know for sure i will be in the mid to upper 13's.
http://nissanperformancemag.com/december03/altima_cams/

I read in here an 02 Altima 3.5 with JWT cams will add 15-20hp in the high rpms 5K-redline, don't know if this will affect low rpms but who cares for the gains that you get in the highs rpm it is worth it. So I think you will be hittin low 14s maybe high 13s with the cams.
my .02
Luigi38 is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,860
Originally Posted by leeI35
Are you talking about me? If so, I will once everything is completed. I have to get rid of the FX 4x4/AWD look first before i post pics. I hate seeing pic/posting pics of cars that look stock.
Can you at least post a pic of the exhaust tips? I have wanted to see the Cattman cat-back on an A33 for quite some time.

Did you have to modify the tips at all?
NewLoveI30 is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 01:44 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 838
4x4 look? **** is that
roofadoofalus is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NJ and AZ
Posts: 548
is it easy to install a new crank pulley? im extremely engine dumb. as far as any special equipment goes do i need any? my dad is good with some of this stuff so he may be able to help if its possible. and do u just buy the pulley or do you need akit
SuBXeRo is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 09:10 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21
cattman headers

Lee135, sent you a private meassage about cattman headers. good to see other I35 owners moding. I am thinking about cams also.
acmeblues is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
  #22  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
Originally Posted by thephatOne
what is this drop resistor mod you speak of? its not the ebay thing is it...
Hell NO... It is a DIY on the 4th gen stickies that make your AT shift at maximum presure. It is not bad for the tranny, but the engagement is extremely strong. I have not built a switch on a bracket that that guy did, but I have unpluged the thing and tested out my shifts at WOT. God damn... I barked my tires into 2nd!
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 09:43 PM
  #23  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
Originally Posted by roofadoofalus
4x4 look? **** is that
The horendous wheel gap on the 1st gen, and in some peoples opinion on the 2nd gen as well. I don't think it is that bad on the 2nd, but it is some ugly **** on the 1st gen.
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 PM
  #24  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
is it easy to install a new crank pulley? im extremely engine dumb. as far as any special equipment goes do i need any? my dad is good with some of this stuff so he may be able to help if its possible. and do u just buy the pulley or do you need akit
If you can change your belts, you can change the pully. The only special equipment is a different sized belt.
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
  #25  
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30
iTrader: (8)
 
I30tMikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 9,336
Originally Posted by i30ds
If you can change your belts, you can change the pully. The only special equipment is a different sized belt.
Pulley is much harder to change than a belt. It is no easy task to remove the pulley. They are no their so tight and air tools are almost required.
I30tMikeD is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 PM
  #26  
Armed and Dangerous
iTrader: (8)
 
i30ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,416
Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Pulley is much harder to change than a belt. It is no easy task to remove the pulley. They are no their so tight and air tools are almost required.
Right. I have an air compressor and air tools, but I often forget that most do not, but you really only have to remove the belt and get that bolt cracked some how. I would imagine the the pully is on there with about 200 ft/lbs., which is a lot.

There are ways to remove the pully with out air tools as when I changed the t belt on my Acura Vigor, I had to remove the crank pully (bolt was at 180 ft/lbs), so I wrapped the pully in duct tape and used a chain wrench to hold it in place while my brother cracked the bolt loose using one hell of a breaker bar (absolutely need this, unless of course your family is part gorilla). It took us a good part of the day to do it this manner, but the mission was accomplished.
i30ds is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NJ and AZ
Posts: 548
ahh damn thats a *****
SuBXeRo is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 PM
  #28  
G37S > I35 > UR Max
Thread Starter
 
leeI35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: (P)ure (G)arbage, MD
Posts: 899
Hey guys sorry i haven't been returning replys.

I will post pics of the exhaust on Saturday coming up. I work 9-5 and by the time i get off work, it's way to dark to take any good pics.

About the exhaust comment. The I35 has about a half an inch of more clearance than the maxima. Maxima's have a soggy *** compare to our cars. So, the exhaust did fit, but it was still touching because of the straight look. Have any of you seen the g35 sedan exhaust? They are big! That is what the cattman exhaust looks like from the outside. I didn't think anything of it, but you can tell by looking at my exhaust that I am packing something. I had my muffler shop lenghten the hanger points to have the exhaust tips hang down about half an inch below the rear bumper. I HAD to do that because i also have the Australian Maxima rear skirts on my car and the exhaust was rubbing a little.

Far as the pulley is concerned, I did not install it myself. You do need new belts if you get the Underdrive pulley, I heard the charger pulley can use the stock belts. Instructions came with the pulley for ordering new belts and their sizes. I had my race shop install it for me so, I can't tell you if it was hard or easy to install. I do know it looks mighty good with my blue CAI.
leeI35 is offline  
Old 12-18-2004, 01:00 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 838
well thank you for clarifying that for me
roofadoofalus is offline  
Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 AM
  #30  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Not a car performance tech

Originally Posted by leeI35 View Post
I went to www.everythingnissan.com today and noticed that JWT has a s1 billet cam set for the VQ35. Now I know the price is steep and not too many members on here are die-hard mod freaks as myself but, anyway, with my list of performance mods now, I am wondering if this is worth it.

Go to link here ->S1 Billet Cams

My list of mods now are:
Cattman Full Cat-back Exhaust
Cattman Headers
UR UDP Pulley
Iridium IX Xtreme Spark Plugs
Berk Technology WAI

Now with the CAMS adding 15+hp I know for sure i will be in the mid to upper 13's. I have been following the 1/4 mile racing thread, and members in there with 02-03 maximas (autos) with exhaust upgrades, pulleys, CAIs and NO headers are getting 14.0 flat quarter miles and some have actually dipped into the 13s. I for one have the Cattman headers with all the mods mentioned above (I know our cars weigh about 30-50 pounds more) I am hoping I can get 13 sec passes at capitol raceway soon. I think with the JWT cams, I will definitely be in the 13s and this is basically my goal, get into the 13s NA then if i get bored go forced induction. There is also a 02 maxima (Auto) in the 1/4 mile thread that is all NA and has his ECU tuned and he is running 13.4 all day. I hope to surpass that with the I35. That would be sweet.

Anyway, long story short.....Do you guys think the Jwt Cams are worth it? I am itching to call justin at everything nissan.

I'm sorry what are cams?
Alexandru Vranescu is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BobTX10
8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
14
10-07-2015 08:43 AM
JakeOfAllTrades
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
6
10-05-2015 10:40 AM
jds22
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
0
09-29-2015 02:03 PM
Marc2theMax
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
4
09-28-2015 08:13 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mods Mods Mods oh how i love them!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.