Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

New HU and dash kit installed in I35

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Got Projectors?

New HU and dash kit installed in I35

Alright guys, pics as promised, as well as a couple vids if that's your pleasure.

http://www.myi35.info/hu/index.html

Here are some teaser shots:

Installation wasn't that difficult. Everything fits perfectly...much better than any aftermarket dash kit I've ever installed. If you've installed a HU using ISO mount before, then this is easy. I, myself, never have until now (always used DIN sleeve) and found it almost easier than the din sleeve.

Honestly, the most difficult part was deciding whether I wanted to use any bose speakers or not. My a-pillar tweeters and rear door speakers are the only thing run off the bose amp anymore, and I just decided to say "screw em," turned off the internal HU amp, and wired up the HU without the PAC OEM-2. It sounds fine, better even, though I'll probably get another amp here shortly and add some new components in the car.

The best part about this thing (aside from the improvement in SQ) has to be the color screen and DVD capability. I put all my MP3s on a single DVD and it is wonderful. I also got caught in a traffic jam last night and was able to watch The Matrix during it.

The worst part about this is that now I have to detach and conceal a faceplate, but I guess it's the price you pay. Oh, that and the fact that my steering wheel controls don't work anymore. I'll get the PAC SWI-X shortly though and remedy that too.

All in all, I'm very pleased. The dash fits like OEM, because it is OEM. The wood grain color is off VERY slightly, but being so far away from the other wood trim pieces you can't even tell. Especially in sunlight. I took a wider shot on that page above to show how you really can't tell the difference in the woodgrain color.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

looks really good man nice work
Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by zack342
looks really good man nice work
Very nice! The pics and vids are a big help. BTW were you driving while shooting the vid? I was expecting to here the Matrix but all I heard was what sounded like a wooden wheel rolling on concrete.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by skeetch
Very nice! The pics and vids are a big help. BTW you went driving while shooting the vid? I was expecting to here the Matrix but all I heard was what sounded like a wooden wheel rolling on concrete.
LOL my bad. I had the A/C on when I took that video and the vents were pointed right at the camera. I think I turned the A/C off for the vid showing the angle adjustment.

And no, I was stationary
Old 04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
im back!

Im right behind you, i will have everything in this weekend, but i'm replacing everything. Do you think i can sell my bose somewhere?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Got Projectors?

Might have luck selling it on eBay or on the classifieds here. But you probably won't get very much for it.

Personally, I'd just keep it (what I'm doing) so I can put everything back to stock when I get rid of the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:29 PM

good song playing too; well, at least the first verse :P
Old 04-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice video clip. Does you HU always stick out like that or does it retract back into the dash?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Got Projectors?

In the pics, it sticks out like that because the faceplate it THICK.

In one of the vids, it sticks out real far because I was cycling it through all the possible angle adjustments it has.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM

How did you bypass the bose amp did you just get a maxima wiring harness andstraight wire it up?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Got Projectors?

Don't use the bose amp at all. Got a Nissan wiring harness and wired pretty much everything save for the speakers.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:55 PM

so you just went around the amp. did you cut the harness that goes into the bose amp? i used to install but never did this car before in my 3 years of doin this thats y i just wanted to see the easiest because of me adding an amp later on anyway
Old 04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Got Projectors?

I didn't cut anything. I plugged the nissan wiring harness adapter into the actual wiring harness that would normally plug into the back of the OEM HU. I then matched up the power, ground, acc, etc. wires with the corresponding wires from the harness on the aftermarket HU. Since I'm not using the amplifier or bose speakers I didn't hookup the speaker outputs from the head unit. Thus, there was no signal from the new HU going into the bose amp. My signal goes straight from the rca outputs at the back of the new HU to my aftermarket amps.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Installed it today i put in a deh-9300 love the radio but sorta doesnt match the lights inside my car here are some pics too night shots will take some day shots tommorw enjoy

Old 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM

DEH-P9300!!!! I have one of those!!!! Been sitting in my closet for 2 years waiting to be used.... I need to order one of the dash kits, but i'm going to combine it with a carputer....... Maybe not so stock anymore
Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 PM

Same here bro mine just got dusted off as you can see hehehehe i love the dash man only thing was i had to buy a pocket for it to go underneath the radio but it came out madd clean i love it
Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Hey where can i get one of those single din dash kits. I really need it. I ordered a dehp770mp from my work place, so i need it fast. I might be able to return it, but i don't want to(lol).

thx.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:27 PM

Sorry to hijack, but. . .

I'm new to the forum, so I can't start my own threads yet, so. . .

I just got an 02 I35, and I plan on putting my old audio equipment in it, and I was wondering if there was a faq or common thread that details all the good-to-know info, such as techniques for power wire runs through the car, amplifier wiring diagram/location [I assume there's an amp somewhere], common speaker sizes [I believe I've seen 6.5" & 5.25" in the doors, but what about the tweets], step-by-step head-unit removal, door panel removal, tweeter removal, etc. . . [so I don't miss a screw and break a panel or something].

btw, I'm fairly versed in audio installation, the ins-and-outs of forums, etc. . . and certainly have tried searching google for this type of stuff [since I haven't donated yet, and can't search from here], but to little avail.

Also, this is a bit of a double post [as I posted on the audio forum also], but I figured I'd get more of a I35 specific response here.

Thanks for all your help, and again, I certainly wouldn't have hijacked your thread, if I had any choice in the matter.

Look forward to frequenting your forum.

dh
Old 04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by danhaman
I'm new to the forum, so I can't start my own threads yet, so. . .

I just got an 02 I35, and I plan on putting my old audio equipment in it, and I was wondering if there was a faq or common thread that details all the good-to-know info, such as techniques for power wire runs through the car, amplifier wiring diagram/location [I assume there's an amp somewhere], common speaker sizes [I believe I've seen 6.5" & 5.25" in the doors, but what about the tweets], step-by-step head-unit removal, door panel removal, tweeter removal, etc. . . [so I don't miss a screw and break a panel or something].

btw, I'm fairly versed in audio installation, the ins-and-outs of forums, etc. . . and certainly have tried searching google for this type of stuff [since I haven't donated yet, and can't search from here], but to little avail.

Also, this is a bit of a double post [as I posted on the audio forum also], but I figured I'd get more of a I35 specific response here.

Thanks for all your help, and again, I certainly wouldn't have hijacked your thread, if I had any choice in the matter.

Look forward to frequenting your forum.

dh

There should be some FAQ's in the 5th gen forum and Audio forum on audio for the 5th Gen Maxima (2000+). Follow any and all of those. The only differences you will run into is that some of the parts will be shaped a little differently. Other than that, they all come apart the same way, and all the wiring is the same.

Everything you asked for is already posted in those forums, so I won't repeat it here, other than to say that running the power wire from the battery (for amps, etc.) into the cabin is extraordinarily easy for us (compared to Maxima folks). Just open the hood, look on the driver's side of the firewall and you should see a large, circular rubber grommet that will pop right out. You can run your power wires through there.

Ahh hell, I'm bored, so here's some more:

Tweeters are in the A-pillars, non-standard size, everything is powered off the Bose amp, load at the tweeters is approximately 4 ohms so you can swap in other tweets if you so desire. Access to those can be attained by popping off the A pillars. Start from the top and work your way down.

Door Panels, HU, etc.: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax3.htm

Bose amp is in the trunk. It's separate from the amp for the bose sub.

EDIT: My buddy Matt has some pretty good info on his site too:
http://www.moodym.com/maxima/audio/maxaudio.html
Old 04-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Meta,

Awesome, thanks for the start. I was actually going to PM you through sounddomain, but recognized the name from this forum. I like the box you had made, I may do something similar, or to save the pass through, I may glass some boxes to the sides. If I do that though, I'll have to find somewhere else to put my amp [fairly big], and I doubt it would sound quite as good, so I'll probably stick to a rear firing pair of 10's, or forward facing, and seal the cabin from the trunk.

dh
Old 04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
im back!

well everything is installed! it only took me about 9 hours. and i dont want to look at any thing in that car now! But i need to know what kind of din sleeve you guys got, i went to best buy and to circit city and they acted like they had no idea what the hell i was talking about so c. city sold me a metra turbo kit and of course it doesnt work! So right now i have a nice peep hole into my dash. Why did it take me nine hours? well New headunit, all the speakers including the tweeters(which by the way are clarion and not bose) a four channel amp, new amp wire to my sub amp and making sure nothing looks out of sort no wires. So i need your help with a number or name of the din sleeve so they dont look at me like a dumba$$ againthanks
Old 04-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Got Projectors?

FYI - pretty much everything "bose" in these cars is manufactured by Clarion.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:27 PM

For what it's worth. . .

at least half of the FAQ's for the gen 5 maxima have dead links in them.

Here's what I gathered [and assume], please correct me if I'm wrong.

signal passes from head unit to two amps in the rear parcel, 1 connected to the 8" sub, and the other which runs to 2 1" tweets, 2 6.5" speakers, and 2 5.25" speakers. I assume all wires from amps to speakers are x'd over at the amp, or more likely w/ capacitors at the speakers themselves.

Does any one know if the signal from the head unit is eq'd or anything? What about a wire diagram, does anyone have a helms manual or something that describes which wires go where?

Has anyone experimented with subs facing forward and rearward in the trunk?

Thanks for any/all your help.

dh
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Got Projectors?

From my understanding the signal is crossed-over after at the bose amp. I never closely examined the speakers so I couldn't tell you whether they used capacitors in conjunction with the crossing over by the amp. Can't tell you much about the head unit itself, as it;s largely a mystery to me.

And as for a wiring diagram, I found this in the FAQ in the audio forum, it's from Studman's site: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/audiowiring.asp

And I've only ever had any subs in this car free air from the rear deck and facing toward the rear of the car.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:31 AM
www.autotalk.com

The bose unit DOES NOT have an internal amp. Basically the amps are external to the headunit. So you can actually use the speaker wires going to the speakers as your RCA when you install aftermarket headunit. I have done this before and the sound was def great. Now if you have a NON BOse unit that has a built in amp. So basically if you install an aftermarket headunit, connect the RCA OUT from that headunit to the SPEAKER wires on the harness and you will have a nice sounding system and you wont need any adapters
Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM

Max4,

Do you know for sure the signal isn't x'd over at the amp? I want to send a clean signal to my amp. In my last car [also a bose], I took the signal before the amp just in case, but I may try it after the amp, just to see.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Got Projectors?

I'm pretty positive on the A33 that the signal is crossed-over at the amp.

At least in the case of the subwoofer.

I know when I first replaced the bose sub, I tapped the wiring after the amp, and it was miserable. I then got the AOEM-NIS2 which takes the signal from the HU before the amp and it was much much cleaner.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 PM

I have a feeling that the other amp isn't x'd over at all, and that the tweets have an in-line cap to block the bass. I'll give it try. I also noticed that in the wiring diagram you gave me that there's no wires from the amp to the tweets, so either the wires going to the front door speakers are split [and not likely x'd over] to the tweets [the most likely situation], or the tweets are fed off the head unit [of course that isn't shown in the diagram either AND it goes against the bose standard of having a non-amplified head-unit].

So, if the signal isn't altered, tapping the speaker outs on the amp will give me a greater noise floor, which I'm quite fond of, especially in a fairly quiet car as this is.

dh