Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Questions for you direct port guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:17 PM
BJJ

Questions for you direct port guys

Well I guess these questions are directed mainly towards 1MAX2NV and JAMIECBR900 since they are the only two I know of running direct port, but if anyone else has any info please let me know.

1. I currently am running the NOS dry kit, does NOS or any other manufacturer for that matter make a conversion kit, or is just a matter of me tapping the manifold and adding a fuel solenoid?

2. How hard was it to tap the manifold and run/bend the hard lines, I have seen tony's setup in person and it just looks like it would be extremely difficult to make look neat.

I have more questions but I can't think of them at the moment, but any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Questions for you direct port guys

I helped install one on a VR6 and it is not real easy. Drilling and tapping is pretty straight forward, just have to make sure you have a drill with a level or make a jig to get them all at the same angle etc.

Bending and flaring is also great fun, takes time and patience and a creative flare to have it look professional.

Its very time consuming if you want to do a good job and its not the kind of thing I would recommend to anyone who would post a "How do I install a FSTB" thread.

Very rewarding when you are finished though and everybody loves to look at the finished product.

This is a pic of the plumbing.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have no idea as far as tapping the manifold since I didn't do it. You will need to pick up the tap from NOS since it's pretty hard to find. I would go to home depot and buy a block of aluminum or something that you can practice with. You have to make sure you tap it far enough so the nozzle's opening will come out the other side. As for the line, NOS sells a tube bender. I bought one and it works okay. Those line aren't as hard as you think. You can actually bend it with your fingers if you really want. Most of the lines are held by compression fitting so flaring isn't really necessary.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I have no idea as far as tapping the manifold since I didn't do it. You will need to pick up the tap from NOS since it's pretty hard to find. I would go to home depot and buy a block of aluminum or something that you can practice with. You have to make sure you tape it far enough so the nozzle's opening will come out the other size. As for the line, NOS sells a tube bender. I bought one and it works okay. Those line aren't as hard as you think. You can actually bend it with your fingers if you really want. Most of the lines are held by compression fitting so flaring isn't really necessary.
I am not sure about NOS the kit we did was NX and they have all flare fittings and the lines are SS so they are very had to bend and flare. NOS probably does it differently. Anyway you are right about practicing before doing the actual job. My Son had an old intake we practiced on and we used brake line to practice with as well before wrecking the SS lines.

If the NOS fittings are compression it will certainly make the job a lot easier. Remember you have 12 lines on the manifold too. It will be difficult to get the 1/16 Tap too, ours came with the kit but they are extremely hard to find.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:56 AM
BJJ

Thanks for all your help, I will be getting an extra manifold to do this with so it will not be the end of the world if I mess up , but I will practice some before I do the job. I will probably stick with NOS since that is what I have already so I don't think flaring will be a problem, since it is compression. Also I have access to a very nice machine shop at my engineering school so tapping the manifold won't be a problem. I will order one of the line benders and taps along with the rest of the direst port kit, but thanks for all the info, and any help in the future would be great.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:08 AM

1Max hit it right on the head. With the NOS kit, you can certainly upgrade to a DPI. You have to buy additional solenoid (fuel) and the lines as well as the bender. I personally also did not tap into my manifold personally, as I wanted someone else to be responsible in case of a screw up. I bent the lines though and like Jim said, you have to take your time to make it look presentable. The lines are not hard to bend, you just have to have an idea of how you are going to do it before you start that way you know which direction to start bending the lines. One hint, bend the lines just slightly to begin with. You can put more bend on the lines, but it is a big no-no to try and bend a line back once bent. It will likely snap and have to start all over again. Just take your time. I took my intake to a machine shop and told them where and what angle to tap, and they did a great job.

Remember that you have to have a FPR, and you will run it at stock FP. Also if you have the 255 pump, you will likely have to downsize to the 190 pump. Don't use the stocker 190, because it won't work right. You have to get the Walbro. Remember also that you will need 12 jets now. Be sure and know which ones to buy for what shot you plan on running, so you don't waste your money.

Another hint, look at your car from under the hood. Look to see if the strut bar, hood, or anything else will be an obstruction. I had to get a little creative after I started because my distribution block was hitting the hood. I had to keep gradually bending those lines until it cleared. If something like that happens, make sure and be gentle when you first check everything. If I had slammed my hood down the first time, I probably would have messed up lots of hard work.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:15 AM
BJJ

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
1Max hit it right on the head. With the NOS kit, you can certainly upgrade to a DPI. You have to buy additional solenoid (fuel) and the lines as well as the bender. I personally also did not tap into my manifold personally, as I wanted someone else to be responsible in case of a screw up. I bent the lines though and like Jim said, you have to take your time to make it look presentable. The lines are not hard to bend, you just have to have an idea of how you are going to do it before you start that way you know which direction to start bending the lines. One hint, bend the lines just slightly to begin with. You can put more bend on the lines, but it is a big no-no to try and bend a line back once bent. It will likely snap and have to start all over again. Just take your time. I took my intake to a machine shop and told them where and what angle to tap, and they did a great job.

Remember that you have to have a FPR, and you will run it at stock FP. Also if you have the 255 pump, you will likely have to downsize to the 190 pump. Don't use the stocker 190, because it won't work right. You have to get the Walbro. Remember also that you will need 12 jets now. Be sure and know which ones to buy for what shot you plan on running, so you don't waste your money.

Another hint, look at your car from under the hood. Look to see if the strut bar, hood, or anything else will be an obstruction. I had to get a little creative after I started because my distribution block was hitting the hood. I had to keep gradually bending those lines until it cleared. If something like that happens, make sure and be gentle when you first check everything. If I had slammed my hood down the first time, I probably would have messed up lots of hard work.
Thanks for the tips, I havent upgraded my fuel pump yet for that exact reason, I didnt want to have to do it twice. BTW do you have a pics of your setup, that would help me out alot.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by BJJ

Thanks for the tips, I havent upgraded my fuel pump yet for that exact reason, I didnt want to have to do it twice. BTW do you have a pics of your setup, that would help me out alot.
I did have it on my sig pic, but something has gone wrong with it. I will try and get my buddy bags to fix, he's the host.

If you have a high speed connection, I can send you some detailed shots. The only problem is that all those pics have not been fixed for emails and they are really big files. Great details, but a pain if no high speed.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:13 PM

Jaime if you want me to I can host pictures for you. I have space on vanillaice.com, or I can post on imageevent.com so people can download thumbs and full size pictures only if they want them.
-hype
Old 02-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Jaime if you want me to I can host pictures for you. I have space on vanillaice.com, or I can post on imageevent.com so people can download thumbs and full size pictures only if they want them.
-hype
That would be nice. I don't know much about hosting, posting, or manipulating pics on the web. Ask me about nitrous, and I can preach. Ask me about sig pics, and I'm a newbie.

I have tons of pics of the engine. From very detailed pics to general. If you tell me how, I will do it.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:33 PM

Just email me the pictures, preferrably zipped. I'm sure I'll have plenty of nitrous questions soon, so you can preach all you wish
You don't have AIM do you?

hype@vanillaice.com
-hype
Old 02-10-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Just email me the pictures, preferrably zipped. I'm sure I'll have plenty of nitrous questions soon, so you can preach all you wish
You don't have AIM do you?

hype@vanillaice.com
-hype
I have someone trying to help me fix it right now....let me go try and fix it. I'll let you know.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM

Sig pic is fixed.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:27 PM

I have some really detailed ones, even side view, that would show you just about anything you wanted to see. If interested, let me know.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 PM
BJJ

I have some really detailed ones, even side view, that would show you just about anything you wanted to see. If interested, let me know.
Thanks, the pics in your sig helped out a bunch, I like the way you seperated the distribution blocks(I think that is what they are called), it looks alot easier and cleaner when they are seperated like that instead of stacked on top of each other. Also if you have any pics of a close up of the solenoid location, I couldn't tell how you mounted them from the pics in the sig.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by BJJ

Thanks, the pics in your sig helped out a bunch, I like the way you seperated the distribution blocks(I think that is what they are called), it looks alot easier and cleaner when they are seperated like that instead of stacked on top of each other. Also if you have any pics of a close up of the solenoid location, I couldn't tell how you mounted them from the pics in the sig.
I just fabricated a little "perch" for both the solenoids to sit on. It is held there by an already existing nut/bolt on the intake plenum. I fashioned it kinda like the "perch" for the microswitch. Just a straight piece of aluminum, with the holes underneath to hold the solenoids in place. As a matter of fact, I think the piece even came already with my kit, and I just did a little "engineering" to it to make it fit in there.

I wanted the solenoids to be easy access in case I needed something. I have the filter mounted right underneath both solenoids, and that is my Stillen FPR (the blue thing to the left and down of the solenoids). My purge is mounted near there too.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:33 AM
BJJ

I just fabricated a little "perch" for both the solenoids to sit on. It is held there by an already existing nut/bolt on the intake plenum. I fashioned it kinda like the "perch" for the microswitch. Just a straight piece of aluminum, with the holes underneath to hold the solenoids in place. As a matter of fact, I think the piece even came already with my kit, and I just did a little "engineering" to it to make it fit in there.

I wanted the solenoids to be easy access in case I needed something. I have the filter mounted right underneath both solenoids, and that is my Stillen FPR (the blue thing to the left and down of the solenoids). My purge is mounted near there too.

Well I just picked up a Stillen FPR for a good price, you have any tips for the install or did Stillen do a pretty good job designing this one, I just don't want any suprises when I get around to putting it in. Also how do you like it, all the other products I have gotten form Stillen have been top notch so I am hopeing the same for this one.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by BJJ

Well I just picked up a Stillen FPR for a good price, you have any tips for the install or did Stillen do a pretty good job designing this one, I just don't want any suprises when I get around to putting it in. Also how do you like it, all the other products I have gotten form Stillen have been top notch so I am hopeing the same for this one.
I have 0 complaints. It is accurate, and super easy to adjust. I adjust mine basically on the fly with a pair of pliers and an allen wrench. I've had it since going to DPI, and I play with it a little sometimes when the car readings are off.

In one of the pics I sent you, there should be a pic of where I installed mine. If not, I have a close-up of how mine is.